Eagles furlough their staff - has any other club done it?

Reference to "the richer clubs" is interesting - which are they?

Most RL clubs, like other sports organisations , survive on cash and cashflow. Take away the latter and there are suddenly no richer clubs, simply a host of poor ones. Any suggestions of wealthy owners bailing them out should also be tempered with an undestanding of where these individuals generate their own wealth; they might not be doing so well themselves at the moment either.

This isn't an attempt to score points but to demonstrate that there are no simple or simplistic solutions to a problem that none of us understand sufficiently well, and nor really does anybody else.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/04/2020 at 17:25, DoubleD said:

Griff, it is not 80% of their salary for a lot of these players, it will likely be a third of their salary because it is capped at £2500 a month.

I can assure you that it's 80% of salary down here in the Championship.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

33 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

What is the average basic salary in the Championship for a part time player,excluding bonuses etc?

I cannot see it being that much.

Being as it's part time you are asking about , it would be the players main day job that would be their priority , so quite possibly clubs won't pay them anything 

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Being as it's part time you are asking about , it would be the players main day job that would be their priority , so quite possibly clubs won't pay them anything 

True point.I guess where the playing side is concerned,that would be determined by their contract and salary agreed.

I have heard that some Championship players part time at some of the bigger clubs in the division were on about £30K per season.

19 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

What is the average basic salary in the Championship for a part time player,excluding bonuses etc?

Nor me.

Partly because if they get a decent wedge, they're probably full time.

I don't think there are many on match only terms.  Technically, that could be illegal if they don't play because training counts as work so they'd be below minimum wage.  I'm not aware of anyone actually taking that point or complaining about it but it's so, nevertheless.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Nor me.

Partly because if they get a decent wedge, they're probably full time.

I don't think there are many on match only terms.  Technically, that could be illegal if they don't play because training counts as work so they'd be below minimum wage.  I'm not aware of anyone actually taking that point or complaining about it but it's so, nevertheless.

From what I read I think Coventry Bears players only get paid a match fee if they play.

A fair and valid point regarding training and the minimum wage/Living Wage.

I think,could be wrong the way round that one is travelling and out of pocket expenses for training say 3 times a week at X per mile travelled.

On 03/04/2020 at 22:00, Robthegasman said:

Excluding overseas clubs I reckon that the average contract payment in the Championship will be less than £15k, excluding bonuses and expenses. I believe than there are fewer than a dozen players on £30k+ and they are employed at the "obvious" clubs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Excluding overseas clubs I reckon that the average contract payment in the Championship will be less than £15k, excluding bonuses and expenses. I believe than there are fewer than a dozen players on £30k+ and they are employed at the "obvious" clubs.

I would be inclined to agree,and I suggest that it would be a figure somewhere between £7.5K to £15K basic contract money  or short of,and that as you say excludes bonuses.

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

From what I have heard some of the Featherstone players are on basic contract money of £30K or more.

And from what I understand that is for being part time.

And of course on top of whatever they get paid for their other jobs if they are in PAYE employment.I think a fair few Championships players are also self employed indeed I know one who is an electrician.

On 04/04/2020 at 19:41, Robthegasman said:

From what I read I think Coventry Bears players only get paid a match fee if they play.

A fair and valid point regarding training and the minimum wage/Living Wage.

I think,could be wrong the way round that one is travelling and out of pocket expenses for training say 3 times a week at X per mile travelled.

It's fine if they play.

If not, they're technically in breach.

Will they complain ?  Probably not.

Out of pocket expenses ? What for ?  Home to work travel ?  That's taxable.  Counts as pay.

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

Not our problem then.

It is RL's problem though, or would you simply like these foreigners to clear off home?

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It is RL's problem though, or would you simply like these foreigners to clear off home?

In the short term, that might happen anyway.  It's unlikely that France, Canada and the UK will lift their travel restrictions at the same time.

We're already three weeks behind, we've got politicins talking about restrictions lasting three months, medical folk saying maybe six months and all of them saying we don't really know.

All we can do is see where we are when we're allowed to play again.  From a player welfare point of view, I don't want to see a player getting injured and needing hospital treatment whilst this is going on.  I'm happy to wait to see my rugby.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

You wanted to say its the RFL's problem. You conveniently avoided that to suit.

I didn't, and I didn't.

And you avoided admitting your prejudice - quite a swerve.

Might be of interest, Jet2 have announced they are resuming operations on 17th June. Their statement seemed pretty definitive about this, so I wonder if they’ve had Government approval/guidance on this. Be interesting to see how other airlines react and if they follow suit

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Might be of interest, Jet2 have announced they are resuming operations on 17th June. Their statement seemed pretty definitive about this, so I wonder if they’ve had Government approval/guidance on this. Be interesting to see how other airlines react and if they follow suit

I also saw this and interpreted it as slightly spun really meaning "not before June 17th". No matter what government approval they might hope to have they also need somewhere to fly into.

Off topic I know.

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I also saw this and interpreted it as slightly spun really meaning "not before June 17th". No matter what government approval they might hope to have they also need somewhere to fly into.

Off topic I know.

I think this went off topic a long time ago tbh. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/jet2tweets/status/1247460417565274115

I think the tweet is pretty definitive but can understand your POV. I work in aviation and see it as being the last sector to return to normal, so was surprised to read this. However flights are still operating at the moment from a number of airlines. I think it might get to the stage where they require people to be tested prior to boarding.

There certainly seem some glimmers of hope that things will return to some form of normality in the not too distant future, which is positive for our season and certainly the French clubs. Toronto are a bigger problem though, due to the restrictions in place there

Archived