Eagles furlough their staff - has any other club done it?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think it will be long unfortunately before the majority if not all clubs put their staff on furlough.

And I think in all the divisions,if there is no chance of the season resuming as I suspect could well be so,then do not be surprised if we see players,especially the older ones decide to hang up their boots and retire.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Even the cashed up Toronto have done it.

"Catalans and Toronto are unable to furlough staff, with the initiative not put in place by French and Canadian governments. The Wolfpack have laid off 12 of their Canadian-based staff."

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-clubs-furlough-players-coaches-and-staff-as-clubs-look-to-secure-futures-beyond-covid-19/

Rugby league isn't the richest sport in the world and sadly more clubs will be going through this process. Its really sad that it's come to this but I suppose its the right thing to do long term. I just hope that as many clubs as possible can come through this very difficult period in all our lives. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

26 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

"Catalans and Toronto are unable to furlough staff, with the initiative not put in place by French and Canadian governments. The Wolfpack have laid off 12 of their Canadian-based staff."

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-clubs-furlough-players-coaches-and-staff-as-clubs-look-to-secure-futures-beyond-covid-19/

Is that accurate in the case of Toronto players? The Toronto players are based in the UK, paid in Sterling and, IIRC, employed by a UK-registered company? I understand staff in Canada might be in a different position. 

23 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

There won’t be a single sports club of any sport at any level In this county that doesn’t use this scheme! 

But we have had idiots on here suggesting ' players ' are somehow excempt from having to take a financial hit from this , suggesting they are ' special ' ? 

No they are not , bottom line is there are people ' fans ' who will have bought ST s to watch these players who potentially won't survive to see their team ever play again , so when I see " yes but they are contracted on that wage , how will they survive on less , how will they pay their mortgage " it makes me sick 

I'll edit this post due to the reaction in the bottom right hand corner from another poster , it seems he thinks it is funny that RL fans will die from Coronavirus 

He will now join my ignore list 

But you all know what furlough means

he government will cover 80% of salaries - up to £2,500 per month - with all employers able to apply to HMRC to pay the wages of people who are furloughed.

Leeds have furloughed their players and sent them all home on 3 months leave with the club saying they will try to make some money available to them. Obviously £ 2500 a month is not enough for some of them. Tough.Feel so sorry for them, Not.

7 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Leeds have furloughed their players and sent them all home on 3 months leave with the club saying they will try to make some money available to them. Obviously £ 2500 a month is not enough for some of them. Tough.Feel so sorry for them, Not.

What a weird take. Some of their outgoings could be well beyond £2500 a month based on their regular wage (mortgage, kids, car etc.). The pandemic is not their fault.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

What a weird take. Some of their outgoings could be well beyond £2500 a month based on their regular wage (mortgage, kids, car etc.). The pandemic is not their fault.

Quite - I'm not on silly money, but can see furloughing hurtling towards me like a hurtling-towards-me-thing (I'm currently on of 2 people in the firm I work for not already on it...) and have just had a very sobering sit down with my bank statement looking at the implications. 

Bottom line, £2,500 (which is £1,995 after tax) covers my mortgage, council tax, car and utility bills, leaving me with £7 for the month. Throw in that my wife is pregnant, the only one in her team not furloughed, and about to go on maternity leave and it's all starting to look a bit festive. 

Yes, on the plus side I've got savings I can use, so I (touch wood) think it will be ok, but it's sobering.

If you earn £50k and have normal outgoings (I don't have gym memberships or any subscriptions other than RLW and £5 a month on Netflix), then going down to 80% salary is not fun. Any more than if you're on 22K and lose 80% would be. 

You set your life up for what you can afford based on what you earn. Now, footballers on £60k a week are in a different bracket (although I suppose they could have an enormous mortgage to service) but your average fringe first team Super League player?

Gav,

I did not say that their outgoings were not more than £2500. Unfortunately millions more workers outgoings are more than £2500 but that is the Governments offer. Please say why you think that mere Rugby League players should have more .One of my sons is in the same boat of these players, what is he doing, what the government advises him to do. See if he qualifies for Benefits, approach his mortgage people, take out a small loan to get him through these difficult times.They should think that the Government has come forward with these offer and try to stay well and safe and get on with their lives.

O.K. Gav.

Apologies if it sounds harsh. As long as you feel sorry for the millions in the same boat. A genuine question here for you Gav. as you seem to be in the know about these things.

If,as Leeds intend to do, find extra monies to give to their players, does that money then not entitle them to the full amount available £2500.Or can the club pay them the extra monies that might take them up to their contract monies due.

18 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

O.K. Gav.

Apologies if it sounds harsh. As long as you feel sorry for the millions in the same boat. A genuine question here for you Gav. as you seem to be in the know about these things.

If,as Leeds intend to do, find extra monies to give to their players, does that money then not entitle them to the full amount available £2500.Or can the club pay them the extra monies that might take them up to their contract monies due.

Employers can claim 80% of employees wages, excluding bonuses (it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the general idea).

If they want to pay more, they can do.

There's also the issue of what their contracts say.  If there's no right to lay-off an employee, the employee must agree to his pay cut. However, the other option might be redundancy. So, faced with 80% or nothing, a lot of players may well choose 80%.

It could still be a big drop in income, though. No win bonus, no appearance money, 20% drop in salary - depends how your pay is made up.  People naturally tend to live up to their incomes.  Who saw all this coming ?  Even a month ago ......

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Griff,

I am sure you will agree with me that Gary Hetherington and  C.E.O.,s at the richer clubs will be using this opportunity,legally of course. for the players to obtain £2500 towards their contracts with the clubs making up the shortfall.Gary Hetherington did say that the Leeds club would be looking at ways to pay them extra money.Of course that is only my opinion but I do not think I will be far wrong. Of course,the vast majority of clubs will not have the finances to do this. Hence, my comment that I did not feel sorry for R.L. players having to manage the same as ordinary workers have, I really should have posted that I did not feel sorry for some players, the players that are not receiving extra monies.After all a club with 25 contracted clubs at the richer clubs are saving £62500 per month on their wage bill for the players.I will say though that it would foolish of them not to take this option.

Archived