Car advice

My car has not been run for a couple of weeks. I know the tyres can get flat if left. Seals can go dry etc etc.

As I am not supposed to go on unnecessary journeys when does it become to get the car a run?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Modern car, more than a couple of weeks I'd have thought.

My bike is locked away in the Dealers for at least 3 weeks and I'm willing to bet it has the potential to be considerably more temperamental than your car but I don't anticipate an issue.

On 31/03/2020 at 21:02, Bearman said:

My car has not been run for a couple of weeks. I know the tyres can get flat if left. Seals can go dry etc etc.

As I am not supposed to go on unnecessary journeys when does it become to get the car a run?

How are you for fuel? Is say it was essential to keep it topped up in case of emergency. Watch out for brake pads sticking on, too, so make sure you move it from time to time. 

Caravan owners : don't leave your handbrake on for the same reason. 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

How are you for fuel? Is say it was essential to keep it topped up in case of emergency. Watch out for brake pads sticking on, too, so make sure you move it from time to time. 

Caravan owners : don't leave your handbrake on for the same reason. 

Leave it in gear without the handbrake on,which should help stop sticking brakes,assuming you've parked it up somewhere relatively flat. If possible, move it a couple of feet every couple of weeks to prevent flat spots on the tyres, though it's not a huge risk if you can't. 

I sorn one of my cars over winter each year. All I do is clean it inside and out, leave the windows slightly open to air (it's garaged) and take the battery off to keep on trickle charge and as a theft deterrent. It's never not started first time the next spring, nor had any other issues in the 10ish years I've been doing this. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On cars... when does the new MOT extension show? My car’s MOT is early May and it’s not showing yet.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

On cars... when does the new MOT extension show? My car’s MOT is early May and it’s not showing yet.

Mine ran out on the 30th of March and the update happend on the 29th, that was very close to the announcement of the extension so might not be a reliable guide.

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

What are you meaning by "show"? 

Garages are still doing Mots. As I understand it, even if you delay by 6 months, the anniversary date does not change. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

What are you meaning by "show"? 

Garages are still doing Mots. As I understand it, even if you delay by 6 months, the anniversary date does not change. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

My car’s in good nick, but it is a 14 year old car. The very last thing I want now is a MOT issue in a garage that’s struggling to do work.

Also, I just see it as an unnecessary exposure for my essential transport to an environment where someone may be infected and not know it.

If it can be delayed, it should.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

My car’s in good nick, but it is a 14 year old car. The very last thing I want now is a MOT issue in a garage that’s struggling to do work.

Also, I just see it as an unnecessary exposure for my essential transport to an environment where someone may be infected and not know it.

If it can be delayed, it should.

In Northern Ireland all MOT's have been postponed for 3 months with temporary exemptions given.

According to Honest John 

Coronavirus: Drivers get six-month MoT extension as Government battles spread of Covid-19

garage-volkswagen.jpg

The Government has announced a six-month extension for all car and van MoTs in the UK. 

Cars and vans that are due an MoT from 30 March will automatically get a six-month extension, which means people will not have to visit their local garage if they are experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus or living with someone who is vulnerable to the disease.

Check your car's MOT history

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

According to Honest John 

Coronavirus: Drivers get six-month MoT extension as Government battles spread of Covid-19

garage-volkswagen.jpg

The Government has announced a six-month extension for all car and van MoTs in the UK. 

Cars and vans that are due an MoT from 30 March will automatically get a six-month extension, which means people will not have to visit their local garage if they are experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus or living with someone who is vulnerable to the disease.

Check your car's MOT history

That’s the thing though, it’s not showing on the online checker yet. 

18 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Incidentally, Bradford has loads of single-occupant Asian drivers wearing face masks. I'm not sure who they think will infect them on the journey.

Did you know that once you put a mask on that you should leave it on? If you take off the mask with anything other than spotless hands then you’re running a very high risk of contaminating it and making it worse than actually wearing nothing. 

Nice to see your casual racism showing you’re off down the wrong sneering track again. 

If you are keeping your car off road for a while I'd recommend disconnecting/removing the battery. Modern cars are fitted with a number of ECUs which can keep eating up the battery; in theory they shouldn't, they should all "go to sleep" after half an hour or so, but they don't always. That can be a problem though as some cars won't lock manually theses days. Other than that everything else should be OK.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

19 hours ago, ckn said:

That’s the thing though, it’s not showing on the online checker yet. 

It was tested Thursday.  Its showing up on the on-line checker.

Also, from here: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

From 30 March

Your MOT will be automatically extended for 6 months because of coronavirus.

Example Your vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 April 2020.

This will automatically be extended to 3 October 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.

Incorrect MOT status?

If the MOT status is incorrect it can take up to 5 days for your status to update.

If the MOT status is still incorrect after 5 days contact DVSA

Before everyone goes pulling batterys off cars,its better to just trickle charge with battery in place, a couple of hours after a week or so, most modern cars will lose codes and throw up managment lights as re connecting the battery after a while will cause a spike to the ecu. you will lose stored radio codes, but worse is the fuel/air mixture sensors. modern cars of the past 10 years have come a long way from points and dizzy caps.check first and save a few £££.

Where these single occupancy drivers you speak driving taxis as I'm sure these don't constitute front line workers?

Another ckn panty twisting thought do the traditional burkhas offer good prevention for corona if so I'll get the wife one but certainly not in deadly black.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

My mate works nights on the very large Euroway Industrial Estate. He doesn't have a car and there there is no bus service (Bradford Council at its best) . A fortnight ago, the workmate  who gives him a lift was off work and the taxi firm he uses had only one taxi working.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Go on then.

Actually, standing at a junction for the purpose of photoing masked drivers would probably be contrary to the self-isolation guidelies. However, I'm sure that several of the Yorkshire and Lancashire rustbelt members would be able to corroborate the prevalence.

Hope you've still got some hand-sanitiser left; I know you've had years of extensive hand-wringing.

22 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Actually, standing at a junction for the purpose of photoing masked drivers would probably be contrary to the self-isolation guidelies. However, I'm sure that several of the Yorkshire and Lancashire rustbelt members would be able to corroborate the prevalence.

Hope you've still got some hand-sanitiser left; I know you've had years of extensive hand-wringing.

So you’re not going to take any photos.

That’s a shame.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So you’re not going to take any photos.

That’s a shame.

No 'fraid not. It's a shame that you won't get the opportunity to snitch on me.

On 31/03/2020 at 21:02, Bearman said:

Two weeks will do no harm, I've seen guys leave cars for 4 months and have no problems, if your worried put it on blocks with the had break off and grease up any moving parts you can get to. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived