Okunbor and Harawira-Naera sacked - now re-instated

Their stupid behaviour has cost them dear. It has cost their club a huge amount of sponsorship money. The girls have had to live with a lot of unpleasant and unwanted response to this. Yes they are young men and a liable to make mistakes. This is such though that an example has to be made of them to be a warning to others in the future.

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Their stupid behaviour has cost them dear. It has cost their club a huge amount of sponsorship money. The girls have had to live with a lot of unpleasant and unwanted response to this. Yes they are young men and a liable to make mistakes. This is such though that an example has to be made of them to be a warning to others in the future.

Yes they were the idiots and got their cumuppence , but ‘ the girls ‘ made their choices to . No one is coming out of this smelling of roses , it’s a pretty sordid episode 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yes they were the idiots and got their cumuppence , but ‘ the girls ‘ made their choices to . No one is coming out of this smelling of roses , it’s a pretty sordid episode 

Agreed

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Rightly so. Idiots.

Would you want em at your club.

They may have been foolish but in the long list of transgressions that players have done in recent years, this is pretty low down the list. They didn’t do anything illegal, violent or dangerous (like drink driving). I would have no issue if my club signed them 

The NRL seems riddled with inconsistencies in terms of its quasi-judicial stance . I probably mean Greenberg by that . We’ve seen it in the stand down policy and general disciplinary sanctions . Some people get stricter punishments than others , and it seems fairly ad hoc at times . They can look like a kangaroo court at times , no pun intended . There are guys who’ve committed criminal , illegal and very very unsavoury acts and are playing ( quite a lot , it’s a long list ) .This case  is a moral aberration not a rule of law . At times it’s very hard to see the consistency of logic and justice in the disciplinary process there. Personally I’d say these guys were stupid , morally wrong , and deserve a club or league punishment but this sanction seems excessive and out of kilter with instances we’ve seen before . I think throwing these guys on the scrap heap if that happens by making them seem toxic to other clubs  is ridiculous 

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The NRL seems riddled with inconsistencies in terms of its quasi-judicial stance . I probably mean Greenberg by that . We’ve seen it in the stand down policy and general disciplinary sanctions . Some people get stricter punishments than others , and it seems fairly ad hoc at times . They can look like a kangaroo court at times , no pun intended . There are guys who’ve committed criminal , illegal and very very unsavoury acts and are playing ( quite a lot , it’s a long list ) .This case  is a moral aberration not a rule of law . At times it’s very hard to see the consistency of logic and justice in the disciplinary process there. Personally I’d say these guys were stupid , morally wrong , and deserve a club or league punishment but this sanction seems excessive and out of kilter with instances we’ve seen before . I think throwing these guys on the scrap heap if that happens by making them seem toxic to other clubs  is ridiculous 

Couldn’t agree more

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I can’t see Greenberg lasting very long after this has taken its course. He’s not handled things well during his tenure. This last week in particular has shown him up. He’s shuffled his position with regards to his chosen pay cut and has been shown to be in charge of an NRL administration that appears to be poorly run. He preaches prudence and strict control to the clubs and their players while overseeing what appears to be a fast flowing spending spree for his colleagues and himself. 

• 3 months later...

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Graham changed the title to Okunbor and Harawira-Naera sacked - Updated

No sooner are they back in the game (almost) than one of them appears to be attracting interest on the player market. since this was announced:

Canterbury have a unique situation on their hands after sacked pair Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor had their NRL deregistrations overturned by the independent NRL Appeals Committee.

James Hooper of Fox Sports says he believes Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra have shown an interest in signing the Kiwi international Corey Harawira-Naera .

The word is that CHN is upset with how Bulldogs sacked hime and is wanting away.

• Graham changed the title to Okunbor and Harawira-Naera sacked - now re-instated
2 hours ago, Graham said:

No sooner are they back in the game (almost) than one of them appears to be attracting interest on the player market. since this was announced:

James Hooper of Fox Sports says he believes Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra have shown an interest in signing the Kiwi international Corey Harawira-Naera .

The word is that CHN is upset with how Bulldogs sacked hime and is wanting away.

Not surprising 

After washing their hands of him and being highly critical of him and then not contacting him while he was de-registered, it's no wonder Bulldogs can't sweet talk him back round to wanting to stay with them.

He wants a fresh start at another club and in Raiders he would get that.

Bulldogs surely don't want to keep a player , in principle contracted to them until end of 2022 season, who doesn't want to be with them?

Whatever they will have to give him back pay for the time he was out of the game by all accounts.

I wonder how they are fixed with the salary cap. If they've a problem, letting him go could ease any concerns.

Why would the Bulldogs want to keep either of them? They didn’t want them to win the appeal. In the grand scheme of things, their indiscretions aren’t particularly major but the issue is the impact it’s had on Canterbury as a club within their area. Schools no longer want them partaking in activities and their major sponsor pulled the plug. They need a clean break

Archived