Challenge Cup Classics on BBC1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of love for the programme on social media, but also many whingeing old nostalgia-fetishists using it as a stick to beat every aspect of the modern game (especally the bits that only exist in their imaginations).

I assume they all simultaneously donned their blinkers for the last match shown.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

must admit the 1st 3 games were far more enjoyable than the last 2 - just seemed to be better all round ,lots of forgotten names there though - the st helens scorer simon?  where was rob burrow in the leeds game? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

where was rob burrow in the leeds game? 

He was chosen ahead of McGuire but got a head knock early on and went off.

That cup final I still harbour resentment at Russell Smith for. However on the plus side, had we won it's likely Daryl Powell would have kept his job, Tony Smith wouldn't have come in and Leeds wouldn't have won 8 Super League titles.

8 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Great telly that. I had never realised how crucial Hull's poor placekicking had been in the 1985 Final.

Proper coach here as well.

RL.jpg

Neither had I.  Weren't Sterling and Kenny spectacular though.  And Knocker Naughton and Shaun Edwards in their pomp.  Great finals all.  Leeds were very lucky against Saints though.  Who was it dropped the pass?  If he holds it they win!  Lucky Leeds  again!!!!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

38 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Great telly that. I had never realised how crucial Hull's poor placekicking had been in the 1985 Final.

Proper coach here as well.

RL.jpg

The missus thought that was a shot of Jimmy Saville in the crowd.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

25 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Whatever you say how faster the game is today and how fitter the players are, the skills on show in those early games was excellent.

I think you have to factor in we were watching highlights.

The skills on show of course were great (Kenny, Stirling and Holmes the pick for me) but the play the balls (Far worse than now)and scrums were appalling.

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

It's in french but the catalans are showing their wembley documentary on dragons tv/ their YouTube channel

Screenshot_20200404-160543.png

I really enjoyed that. Brings back great memories of the day. 

20 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think you have to factor in we were watching highlights.

The skills on show of course were great (Kenny, Stirling and Holmes the pick for me) but the play the balls (Far worse than now)and scrums were appalling.

Yeah and the some of the tackling was woeful

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

must admit the 1st 3 games were far more enjoyable than the last 2 - just seemed to be better all round ,lots of forgotten names there though - the st helens scorer simon?  where was rob burrow in the leeds game? 

Simon Booth. His mum was an English teacher at Bedford High in Leigh when I was there.

Enjoyed the 1996 final the best myself. That era probably struck the right balance for me with deeper attacking lines and less substitutions. Meant the creative players weren’t just trying to avoid getting smashed and allowed that bit more space as defences tired. 8 future Leigh players between the two sides that day plus one future coach, though the less said the better on that front. 

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

Neither had I.  Weren't Sterling and Kenny spectacular though.  And Knocker Naughton and Shaun Edwards in their pomp.  Great finals all.  Leeds were very lucky against Saints though.  Who was it dropped the pass?  If he holds it they win!  Lucky Leeds  again!!!!

Noonan I think. 

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Was there in 78

didnt think it would take until the Bradford final for me to see saints win it

well done Bbc. Same again next week please

Yeah I was there in 78 was only 6 though so don’t remember much of the game. Same hear though as I didn’t go in 76 I did think I’d never see them win a CC until 96 happened. 

Archived