Same Stadiums, Different Games?

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-grand-final-could-be-switched-new-tottenham-hotspur-stadium-2525640

Suggestion that should the game resume in time, Challenge Cup be held at Old Trafford on the date of the SL Grand Final and the SL Grand Final be moved to November at Spurs, which is currently booked for the England Australia test match. With both the July 18th Challenge Cup Final and Ashes tests looking doubtful at best.

Would be interesting imo, if only to see how a Grand Final "darn sarth" and a cup final up north would work. 

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As I’ve already bought tickets to the Cup Final, the Grand Final and the Ashes Test, it’s a yes from me!

I've won tickets to the ashes test at Spurs and was really looking forwards to it! Hopefully we still get a game in there.

Not only is this a smart idea which means we can honour contractual comittment with venues we want to keep onside, it would blooming great for me. Haven't been to a GF since 2015 cos of cost/time of an overnight trip, but can easily do London and back in a day. 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

it's not ideal or close to it. And a CC final up north and GF down south, at late notice, is a big risk.

Not sure the CCF would be any less notice than normal, and being in the North it would do fine with daytrippers. 

Yes, a southern GF is a risk at a week's notice for the competing teams, but its also a better longterm sell for the London sports market, at a stadium that's actually more enticing than Wembley. 

It all depends on when the revised schedule can be confirmed. If we get to July without a firm restart date, things are pretty screwed anyway, but if we have a date for a London GF by then, then it can be sold we'll. 

Think it would work. We’d likely se the Challenge Cup take priority so less time to shift tickets post semi-finals when the final is in Manchester is likely to still draw a good crowd. 

I think the Tottenham game could be well attended if there is some sort of guarantee and incentive given to those who committed to England v Australia early. It’s a long way to go at seven days notice though and likely to be more costly to fans than a trip across the M62 and given the financial situations many will likely find themselves in, it might be a big ask to expect a big crowd to attend. 

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Good idea in theory, but could there be problems for supporters getting to a GF in London if Sky insist on keeping the evening KO?

I'd think there would have to be flexibility re Sky and given the current situation I imagine there would be.

I don’t think we should have the grand final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium just because we already have it booked. Surely booking a new stadium isn’t too difficult.

I’m sure plenty of cities would like to host both the Challenge Cup Final and the Grand Final. Presuming they are both on rearranged dates I would have both up north this year. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t think we should have the grand final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium just because we already have it booked. Surely booking a new stadium isn’t too difficult.

I’m sure plenty of cities would like to host both the Challenge Cup Final and the Grand Final. Presuming they are both on rearranged dates I would have both up north this year. 

Where‘s the money coming from to do that?

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You mean playing at the ground we’ve already committed and likely paid (in part) for?

There is no way we have we already paid for the stadium hire.

Robert Elstone is still in full time employment, he should put out a new tender to host both finals, if they are to be moved, not just use a stadium that is already provisionally booked for another use, that’s pure laziness.

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Robert Elstone is still in full time employment, he should put out a new tender to host both finals, if they are to be moved, not just use a stadium that is already provisionally booked for another use, that’s pure laziness.

No one said it had been paid in full. 

Also, Robert Elstone doesn’t work for the RFL, who are a separate entity to Super League. 

Stadium availability could become particularly tricky depending on how the Premier League reorganise their seasons in tandem with international weekends. Transferring the Tottenham reservation from the RFL to the Super League would represent an encouraging piece of joined up thinking in my eyes. That said, getting folk back up north after an evening kick off would represent a tremendous challenge and it may make sense to jump in to the usually vacant Saturday 3pm slot, should that rule still exist by then (steps currently being taken to get rid, it seems). 

18 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

When ?

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Stadium availability could become particularly tricky depending on how the Premier League reorganise their seasons in tandem with international weekends. Transferring the Tottenham reservation from the RFL to the Super League would represent an encouraging piece of joined up thinking in my eyes. That said, getting folk back up north after an evening kick off would represent a tremendous challenge and it may make sense to jump in to the usually vacant Saturday 3pm slot, should that rule still exist by then (steps currently being taken to get rid, it seems). 

Why would it present a “tremendous challenge”? Trains run fairly late, it’s not the trickiest to get back to Kings Cross post game and even Euston isn’t that much of a schlep that it becomes problematic. 

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why would it present a “tremendous challenge”? Trains run fairly late, it’s not the trickiest to get back to Kings Cross post game and even Euston isn’t that much of a schlep that it becomes problematic. 

It’s getting those sheer numbers over to Euston and Kings Cross when in reality people aren’t leaving the stadium until probably 8.15pm at the earliest for a 6pm kick off. It’s enough of a struggle as it is on Grand Final night to get people to Manchester Piccadilly and on from there. 

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s getting those sheer numbers over to Euston and Kings Cross when in reality people aren’t leaving the stadium until probably 8.15pm at the earliest for a 6pm kick off. It’s enough of a struggle as it is on Grand Final night to get people to Manchester Piccadilly and on from there. 

If we must use a stadium that’s already “booked” I’d rather play it at Elland Road the week before 

Archived