Let's make some noise tonight.

I really do find it more than a bit embarrassing....

Ok it's nice to be appreciated, and I don't want to come across as a bit of an ar se, but all this does feel OTT ....for me at least.

Give me the kit to do my job safely and I'll be ok. When I signed up to nursing I signed up to providing emergency response. Like a young army recruit signing on.... does so knowing he or she may have to earn their pay dodging bullets one day.

I'm no different to logistics employees, bin men, supermarket workers, police etc, all of whom are doing their bit sometimes in really sh itty conditions.

I dont consider myself an hero... an angel or superman. I'm a nurse doing my job.

I'd sooner folk just respect current advice given to them and that my government gets me the bloody kit.... 

Yours

Mardy ar se 

Rovrum.?

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ok it's nice to be appreciated, and I don't want to come across as a bit of an ar se, but all this does feel OTT ....for me at least.

Give me the kit to do my job safely and I'll be ok. When I signed up to nursing I signed up to providing emergency response. Like a young army recruit signing on.... does so knowing he or she may have to earn their pay dodging bullets one day.

I'm no different to logistics employees, bin men, supermarket workers, police etc, all of whom are doing their bit sometimes in really sh itty conditions.

I dont consider myself an hero... an angel or superman. I'm a nurse doing my job.

I'd sooner folk just respect current advice given to them and my government get me the bloody kit.... 

Yours

Mardy ar se 

Rovrum.?

26 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

The titles self explanatory stick your head out of your front door and clap ,cheer, whistle,shout whatever tonight at 8pm.

Support our brave underprotected Nhs heroes.

Sorry to come across as a cynical grumpy so and so ?

But doing this every week is rather daft IMO, support the NHS by sticking to the guidelines and doing your bit to try stop the spread of the virus, I get that you can do both and they aren't mutually exclusive but still...

My wife has the same attitude as Robin above, she has always said she is just doing her job, give her the right tools and she is happy to continue doing what she gets paid to do, she in no way thinks she is a hero, I also think there's a lot of people who don't work for the NHS who are doing just as an important job in all of this

Yeah I get what you mean but my eldest son is a doctor who will be doing a 12 hour shift at the Frontline on Sunday.

He's not too worried because his colleagues are using the buddy system regarding ppe.

However my wife is sh***ing herself with worry at the moment (she too is a Frontline worker with minimal protection)

I think it is a great thing for everybody cooped up indoors to get out and show  their feelings.

4 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Yeah I get what you mean but my eldest son is a doctor who will be doing a 12 hour shift at the Frontline on Sunday.

He's not too worried because his colleagues are using the buddy system regarding ppe.

However my wife is sh***ing herself with worry at the moment (she too is a Frontline worker with minimal protection)

I think it is a great thing for everybody cooped up indoors to get out and show  their feelings.

Each to their own owd cock.

I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do. It's just not for me for reasons stated. Having access to adequate kit will make me much happier than a round of applause..... 

Hope your family remain safe. 

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do. It's just not for me for reasons stated. Having access to adequate kit will make me much happier than a round of applause..... 

Thanks but why the negativity?

2 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Only as posted in my earlier reply. Just not for me. I just find it a bit cringeworthy when it's my job and many others are contributing what I consider to be vital roles in getting us through this #######torm. These are just my personal thoughts and I dont elicit any support.

Others may well indeed feel very differently to myself.

8 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Ok I'm just trying to chivvy folk up.

Suppose I feel guilty of being at home ( self employed so no dosh till June) whilst others are be exposed to this thing.

Bored to death already.

Nowt wrong with trying to lift the mood a bit Will. 

The lad has a small business. Bills going out. Nowt coming in. Very stressful.

At the mo it feels like some of the practitioners I know are akin to lads getting off the landing craft at sword beach facing machine gun fire armed with only a  .410 shotgun.

When we all get adequate kit and contain this thing, itll settle down. It may take a while. 

In the meantime, try to keep smiling cocker 

41 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Can't answer for Robin, but personally, I'm not sure it's negativity, I wouldn't say people are wrong for doing the clapping thing, I do think if it's carried on every week it will just turn into a 'virtue signalling' (sorry to use that phrase as I hate it but couldn't think of another) thing. It's just not my kind of thing to be honest, it seems like it's done for people to feel better about themselves rather than for actually appreciating the people it's for, but I will say that's just the cynic in me and I'm sure the intent is indeed sincere.

8 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Yes but in these stressful times it really can't be a bad thing for people to be showing support and trying to be positive because it's gonna be a long road ahead for everybody.

I actually agree, Im not saying people shouldn’t be doing it, fill your boots.

But by making it a ‘thing’ especially a regular weekly occasion, it’s going going to lose whatever meaning it has.

there was a thread on my mothers Facebook page and someone tagged me in and asked if my wife appreciated her ‘clap’ (ooo er) and I said that she thought it was a bit daft and the best way to show appreciation was to follow government guidelines (my post was more of a knowing nod to what my wife is like - quite matter of fact) and there were a few replies that basically implied she was ungrateful!

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I'd sooner folk just respect current advice given to them and that my government gets me the bloody kit.... 

Yours

Mardy ar se 

Rovrum.?

My neighbour shared something on this on Facebook this morning then he drove off to work for the first time in two weeks.

I'd rather he'd stayed silent and at home. That'd be doing far more for the NHS than him standing outside applauding tonight

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Bob Dylan once said "Applause don't pay the bills"

To paraphrase "Applause don't offer protection"

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Nowt wrong with trying to lift the mood a bit Will. 

The lad has a small business. Bills going out. Nowt coming in. Very stressful.

At the mo it feels like some of the practitioners I know are akin to lads getting off the landing craft at sword beach facing machine gun fire armed with only a  .410 shotgun.

When we all get adequate kit and contain this thing, itll settle down. It may take a while. 

In the meantime, try to keep smiling cocker 

If you haven’t already done it, email your MP and encourage your work colleagues to do the same, they will have to react, adequate kit is essential in quelling the virus.

Just now, Rodill Rover said:

If you haven’t already done it, email your MP and encourage your work colleagues to do the same, they will have to react, adequate kit is essential in quelling the virus.

I mailed matt hancock yesterday.

I have a feeling I may as well have mailed nick hancock..... BUT.... I will wait n see

I think a few of us are feeling a bit bored/guilty sat at home(old duffer now so cant do much) hell have just been watching tree felling/chopping contest:kolobok_punish:

i for one will admit a lot a things  going on at the moment scare me a great deal.

but for me its not about pats on back its showing a bit a thanks and respect for all those in nhs/bus drivers/shop workers/police, so i will be outside with rest a our end a street for sure. a long way to go yet thats for sure.

7 minutes ago, silverback said:

I think a few of us are feeling a bit bored/guilty sat at home(old duffer now so cant do much) hell have just been watching tree felling/chopping contest:kolobok_punish:

i for one will admit a lot a things  going on at the moment scare me a great deal.

but for me its not about pats on back its showing a bit a thanks and respect for all those in nhs/bus drivers/shop workers/police, so i will be outside with rest a our end a street for sure. a long way to go yet thats for sure.

And if that's gives you some comfort, makes you feel a bit brighter.... then crack on. That's what you should do....

#nhsrocks

I had a (phone) doctors appointment yesterday. I made sure I thanked the receptionist, the triage nurse and the doctor. When I went to the pharmacy I thanked everyone who were working there. When I go shopping I thank whoever serves me. When I see my postman (or parcel delivery drivers) I thank them. This is something I do normally but, at this time, I make sure they know how grateful I am that they are still working for our benefit. 

I will not be clapping tonight. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

6 hours ago, Willforminis said:

On a lighter note I think it should be compulsory to stand outside your house every night and clap for Bradford Bulls

What a load of Bull Clap.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

For a lot of the people applauding, it will be as much about giving themselves a bit of a lift and feeling less isolated, just by doing something social. Being part of something communal, after a couple of weeks of being shut up most of the day and shunning contact. Each to their own.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived