There's a growing number of plays/performances being streamed. If you to to thespace.org.uk then there's a few there plus Royal Opera/Royal Ballet are putting out a 'new' one on YouTube every Friday.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Red Willow said:

It seems the National Theatre is streaming some of its plays over the next few weeks

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/theatre-news/national-theatre-live-online-watch-18019590

I think plays having gone out of fashion on tv at least has been so wrong.

Sad to find it meant mostly the Bard and musicals.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think plays having gone out of fashion on tv at least has been so wrong.

Sad to find it meant mostly the Bard and musicals.

If you check the Arts in Quarantine page, rather than deciding it's Shakespeare and Lloyd-Webber, you'll find that, currently available are things from Breach Theatre, Northern Ballet and the Royal Court, and that's just directly from the BBC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Where is this please? 

Start at www.bbc.co.uk/arts and it's either on there or linked from there.

Hampstead Theatre are releasing one stream a week via the Guardian. I'm sure there are others too. If you come across any, put them here.

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you check the Arts in Quarantine page, rather than deciding it's Shakespeare and Lloyd-Webber, you'll find that, currently available are things from Breach Theatre, Northern Ballet and the Royal Court, and that's just directly from the BBC.

Thanks that makes all the difference!

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone else like radio plays on Radio 4 some afternoons?

Real theatre of the mind stuff if you can soak it in enough.

No budget can quite match your own imagination.

A very mixed bag when it comes to quality, but I tend to give each one about 10 minutes before deciding whether it is worth my time to continue listening.

Radio 4's Book of the Week and Book at Bedtime are similar. Some real gems pop up now and again, and I have bought a few books, based on these readings.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone else like radio plays on Radio 4 some afternoons?

Real theatre of the mind stuff if you can soak it in enough.

No budget can quite match your own imagination.

Check out Drama on 3. Sunday evenings.

On 03/04/2020 at 08:36, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Where is this please? 

There's a huge amount of links to get anyone started here: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/mar/17/hottest-front-room-seats-the-best-theatre-and-dance-to-watch-online

I've seen many live streams in cinemas in the last few years. Much cheaper than going to the theatre.

Streetcar Named Desire, Porgy and Bess among others.

21 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I've seen many live streams in cinemas in the last few years. Much cheaper than going to the theatre.

Streetcar Named Desire, Porgy and Bess among others.

On the other hand, I rarely go to the cinema these days because of the other punters' antisocial and selfish behaviour. Theatre audiences tend to be quieter and more considerate.

Sartre was right - Hell really is other people. At least sometimes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watched One Man, Two Guvnors.

It's a high end farce, but a classic over-the-top farce nonetheless. James Corden was pretty good, especially when breaking the 4th wall.

The production was really slick - if that was how it went out live they must have done a lot of trial runs with the camera positions and the timing of the cut to different cameras.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I hope you can help!

I'm searching for a TV Musical  title

Heres's what little I remember

Set in the north

One song which I think was called Why Not Be Yourself and another was titled My Son Terry

I think it was about the same time Trinity Tales was on

And that's all I have to go on.

Thanks if you've a suggestion and if you can't help I won't be too surprised.

But most of all keep yourselves well.

• 3 weeks later...

Set in a post viral apocalypse Bradford and filmed on mobile phones in a burnt out building (where did they find a burnt out building in Bradford ...)

On 04/04/2020 at 21:12, bazzzz65 said:

And much handier if you live somewhere that isn't within a 40 minute train ride from the West End of London, because most of these performances don't tour.

Although I must admit going to the ENO a few times, because it is within walking distance of Charing Cross stn,  and the last train home after a beer.

Archived