Owen Farrell back?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

What would he bring to the game, apart from goal kicking, after so long at "Game of Throw-ins"?

He'd be the best player in SL within a season and shipped off to the NRL on lucrative 4 year deal the season after, but all of this is irrelevant because it will never happen. He's just about the best paid RU in the world and the captain of a side that just made the World Cup final. 

2 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

People I know, and trust the judgement of, were raving about his potential as a RL player when Owen played down south. He was a young teen at the time, if I remember correctly.

Nothing special as a teenager in Wigan , watched him a few times 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He'd be the best player most over paid, over hyped, average player in SL within a season and shipped off to the NRL Championship on lucrative 4 year deal  a pittence the season after, but all of this is irrelevant because it will never happen. He's just about the best paid RU in the world and the captain of a side that just made the World Cup final. 

Edited for accuracy !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

IMO, anyone who thinks Farrell would not be a SL League standard half (considering the standard that trots out) has a huge RL chip on their shoulder.

I would put him at 9 though.

Agree he would definitely be a SL level Half and agree that he would suit Hooker better in RL than Half Back. 

I think he would be very effective at 9. 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

IMO, anyone who thinks Farrell would not be a SL League standard half (considering the standard that trots out) has a huge RL chip on their shoulder.

I would put him at 9 though.

I’ve no doubt he would make it in SL and I’d have him down as ending up similar to Sinfield in the way he would control a game. That said Sinfield was a great team player who had a great career but I can’t think of any single season where I’d say he was the best player in the league   

If I had to choose between Owen Farrell after a season of Rugby League and any of the other options we have to play at 6 for England in the 2021 World Cup.

I would choose Farrell.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’ve no doubt he would make it in SL and I’d have him down as ending up similar to Sinfield in the way he would control a game. That said Sinfield was a great team player who had a great career but I can’t think of any single season where I’d say he was the best player in the league   

Consistent at a very high standard.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

13 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Agree on Sinfield. And to think he was one of the five choices for greatest player of all time only a matter of months ago

Lots of positive and negative hypotheticals here. Truth is we'll  never, ever know.......but it's an intetesting subject to 'kick around' a bit. 

Just by way of comparison we could look at Burrell at Wire - an international standard union player who played League in his yoof. I think it's fair to say that, thus far, the transition is not going as well as anticipated. Just sayin'.

Keep safe all

For Owen Farrell See Mark Sneed !!

He’d be an average League player now, maybe at 15 he would have had more League potential but his instincts are all wrong now for League.

Hes a world class Union player and should remain there!

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

For Owen Farrell See Mark Sneed !!

He’d be an average League player now, maybe at 15 he would have had more League potential but his instincts are all wrong now for League.

Hes a world class Union player and should remain there!

Can you think of any Union players who switched to League after the age of 15 who turned out to be any good?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived