Owen Farrell back?

On 05/04/2020 at 13:08, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, CW.  I hope you and yours are keeping safe too.

I note in your brief profile that you seem to be a fan of Blanquette de Limoux.  This is a new drink to me, but I have found an English seller online (that said, I'm not sure whether they are currently supplying)  Is it usually as fizzy as champagne, or is it a more subdued fizziness (if that isn't an oxymoron!)?  I am not a fan of many sparkling wines, but thought Blanquette de Limoux might merit a try - something a bit different in these troubled times.

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How can you judge someone you have never seen perform at that sport?

RL is littered with 'high' profile union player's good judges thought would make it because they had the right attributes but turned out to be absolute flops, I can name quite a few.

So in a season you judge he would be better than Trueman, Harry Smith, Jake Shorrocks all still learning but with a head start on Farrell, Lomax, Jake Connor who has proved himself and prefers No 6, Sneed who can guide a team around the field, Ratchford, and even though and it would pain me to select him for personal reasons Blake Austin.

It's a brave call you make Dunbar, and I would wonder which club would take a chance on him, even in the Championship if we were under normal proceedings I wouldn't gamble on him as a straight swop for our present 6 Ben Reynolds incidentally a lad I was glad to see the back off when he left and rued the announcement when he was announced as returning, but he has been outstanding the club's best player by far and the reason we are unbeaten in the league and apart from his general play I think he has a conversion goal kicking percentage of over 90% from quite a number of attempts and a lot of the touchline, could Farrell return better? 

Rumour has it that Dom Perignon rested his troops for a few days in and around Limoux on his way back from the annual punch up with the Spanish and discovered the Blanguette made by local monks the recipe was taken back to Champagne and the rest is history.

Dom Perignon £ 60.00 a bottle 

Blanguette of Limoux Euros 5/10.00 a bottle (And very good it is too)

We now have an excellent champagne (Obviously they cannot call it Champagne) made here in Kent which IMHO is better than any of the industrialised over hyped champagne that is produced nowadays:)

Cheers

Paul

PS/Blanguette of Limoux is served at the reception for all Toulouse home matches:) 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rumour has it that Dom Perignon rested his troops for a few days in and around Limoux on his way back from the annual punch up with the Spanish and discovered the Blanguette made by local monks the recipe was taken back to Champagne and the rest is history.

Dom Perignon £ 60.00 a bottle 

We now have an excellent champagne (Obviously they cannot call it Champagne) made here in Kent which IMHO is better than any of the industrialised over hyped champagne that is produced nowadays:)

Cheers

Paul

PS/Blanguette of Limoux is served at the reception for all Toulouse home matches:) 

I take it from that Paul you are equating Owen Farrell with the merits of a relativly unknown sparkling wine, but it is no good just looking at the bottle the contents have to be sampled to ascertain if they come up to scratch. 

For another anecdote, try don't judge a book by it's cover, that also works both ways! 

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I take it from that Paul you are equating Owen Farrell with the merits of a relativly unknown sparkling wine, but it is no good just looking at the bottle the contents have to be sampled to ascertain if they come up to scratch. 

For another anecdote, try don't judge a book by it's cover, that also works both ways! 

Apologies Harry I was replying to Wiltshire Dragon.

As for your comments 100% agreed:)

On 02/04/2020 at 21:56, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Yes at youth level. When Andy moved south, Owen initially carried on playing RL up north. He later started playing down south, both codes. Think he was with the Broncos academy for a while however he chose the union route.

He, along with Joe Ford played a few games for St Albans Centurions u14s when he first moved down to Harpenden. I am pretty sure he had no link with Broncos.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was at a match in the early 2000s at Limoux when before the kick-off, as the teams lined up, a kids team in full kit came on, each carrying a bottle of Blanquette and presented it to a visiting player (UTC I think).

I was impressed, and thought that Wigan should do this with pies.

23 minutes ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

I was at a match in the early 2000s at Limoux when before the kick-off, as the teams lined up, a kids team in full kit came on, each carrying a bottle of Blanquette and presented it to a visiting player (UTC I think).

If it was the Limoux v Wigan game I was there.

One of the best days out I have ever had.

Don't know how I got through the following day at work ?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

How can you judge someone you have never seen perform at that sport?

RL is littered with 'high' profile union player's good judges thought would make it because they had the right attributes but turned out to be absolute flops, I can name quite a few.

So in a season you judge he would be better than Trueman, Harry Smith, Jake Shorrocks all still learning but with a head start on Farrell, Lomax, Jake Connor who has proved himself and prefers No 6, Sneed who can guide a team around the field, Ratchford, and even though and it would pain me to select him for personal reasons Blake Austin.

It's a brave call you make Dunbar, and I would wonder which club would take a chance on him, even in the Championship if we were under normal proceedings I wouldn't gamble on him as a straight swop for our present 6 Ben Reynolds incidentally a lad I was glad to see the back off when he left and rued the announcement when he was announced as returning, but he has been outstanding the club's best player by far and the reason we are unbeaten in the league and apart from his general play I think he has a conversion goal kicking percentage of over 90% from quite a number of attempts and a lot of the touchline, could Farrell return better? 

I am judging potential Harry.

We have seen players convert from one code to the other and some succeed and some fail.

What is true though is that the conditioning and skills in Union today are a long way ahead of what it was when some of the legends of our sport came over from a distinctly amateur sport.

I am not a fan of Union but a player like Farrell, who is widely regarded as one of the top players in the sport, would have a good chance of success. 

Despite what others have said previously, his skill set is very suitable for League... he is a very strong defender, his passing game is good and tactically he manages a game very well.

I like Trueman and I think he can be top quality if he continues to develop but the halves are a particularly weak area for us.

Overall I am not sure many of the English team would crack the Kangaroos and we need the best players to beat them. Based on everything I have seen of him, I would take a gamble on Farrell to be the best in that position in English League given a chance.

For those saying he wouldn't cut it... I am sure they would have said the same about Wally Lewis if he had chosen Union anead of League. I think League is miles better as a sport but that doesn't mean we have exclusivity on the most talented rugby players.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 hours ago, CiderWire said:

I believe, via the step-daughter, that Tesco are selling it nowadays.

Living just South of Limoux means we are spoilt for choice but our favourite is a local domaine - Salasar, in Campagne sur Aude. Their Blanquets are lovely and there is a wide variety of choice, dry, semi, sweet etc. They also do a very similar wine called a Cremont, which has smaller, more refined bubbles. Our particular favourite is called L'Excellance and is about 11€ a bottle. It's as good as any champagne - bearing in mind it was a certain Dom Perignon who started the whole thing off down here in the 16th C.

You need to come over and enjoy the thrill of the chase to find one that suits you best. ???

Thanks for a really helpful reply, CW.  I agree, it would be good to get across in due course.  In the meantime, maybe worth sussing out Tesco's.

Of course, west country cider makers dispute whether the champagne method is of French origin or merely pinched by them as part of the toing-and-froing between England and France in the 17th and 18th centuries.  To be fair it wasn't all one way.  Viscount Scudamore (from Holme Lacey in the heart of Herefordshire cider country) certainly improved local cider tree stock by introducing some good varieties from Normandy.

1 hour ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

If you ever go to a Whitehaven match they give out Free Jam sandwiches at half time - but only if Haven are winning. The locals love them.

2 hours ago, Magic XIII said:

He, along with Joe Ford played a few games for St Albans Centurions u14s when he first moved down to Harpenden. I am pretty sure he had no link with Broncos.

You may well be right. The people I know who raved about him were involved with another community team down south at that level. It's quite possible that's where they saw him.

I thought he played a game or two for Broncos Academy however; that may be me mangling facts all these years down the line 

18 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

If you ever go to a Whitehaven match they give out Free Jam sandwiches at half time - but only if Haven are winning. The locals love them.

Thanks Mr Frisky, now I know why a certain poster on here can only press one key, his fingers must be stuck together, on the "only when winning" he must have his own stash!

On 21/04/2020 at 23:04, CiderWire said:

Living just South of Limoux

Hi CW, would that be Quillan by any chance, I was very interested in buying a property down there a few years ago as a holiday home/let, it was overlooking the river in town, that was about 10 to 12 years ago now  but the further I went into it the more and more "red tape" seemed to be put in front of me in the process so I pulled out, I retired a couple of years later and now I wished I had persevered, is it good living in the area? 

II dont see why any RL team would want to sign him, other than publicity as he just doesn't look like he has the necessary skills to play Super League. Now this comes with a couple of caveats in that I haven't seen loads of him other than for England so it might be that he isnt expected to do anything other than 2 yard passes to the fat lads or kick goals. Maybe he`s throwing 30 yard cut out passes, dummies everywhere, 40 yard side stepping tries in club rugby?

19 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

You may well be right. The people I know who raved about him were involved with another community team down south at that level. It's quite possible that's where they saw him.

I thought he played a game or two for Broncos Academy however; that may be me mangling facts all these years down the line 

I believe Farrell's  last rugby league game was for his hometown club  Wigan St Pats in the Barla under 16's National Cup Final. He travelled north just for that game. They won.....

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi CW, would that be Quillan by any chance, I was very interested in buying a property down there a few years ago as a holiday home/let, it was overlooking the river in town, that was about 10 to 12 years ago now  but the further I went into it the more and more "red tape" seemed to be put in front of me in the process so I pulled out, I retired a couple of years later and now I wished I had persevered, is it good living in the area? 

Sorry for cutting in H.  Quillan is ok.  Our friends live there.  This 'red tape' exists in all purchases and unfortunately, the purchaser has to foot the Immobilier (Estate Agent) bill as well as the Notaire.  The Seller only has to arrange and pay for the surveys, which are mandatory.  Many English dont understand this and dont have the gonads to knock on doors, so as to by-pass the Immo.  Notaire fees are set in stone, per Region, based on price.

The life down there is good.  The area is fantastic.  It can be very 'liquid' - I got paralytic going fishing - but the 'convivialite' is second to none, if you learn the language.  France is the best country in the world imo.

4 hours ago, dkw said:

II dont see why any RL team would want to sign him, other than publicity as he just doesn't look like he has the necessary skills to play Super League. Now this comes with a couple of caveats in that I haven't seen loads of him other than for England so it might be that he isnt expected to do anything other than 2 yard passes to the fat lads or kick goals. Maybe he`s throwing 30 yard cut out passes, dummies everywhere, 40 yard side stepping tries in club rugby?

The two yard pass to someone trucking it up repeatedly will serve him better in the SL than an ability to pass 30 yards.

On 22/04/2020 at 09:32, ATLANTISMAN said:

One of the reasons it's good is it doesn't use the same grapes as champagne which have always had a tendency to smell like cat's pee.

Sorry I read the forum and thought this was the most interesting bit of whether or not Owen Farrel came to TGG.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

The life down there is good.  The area is fantastic.  It can be very 'liquid' - I got paralytic going fishing - but the 'convivialite' is second to none, if you learn the language.  France is the best country in the world imo.

And then someone says it all, and more french clubs in SL would mean more reasons to go.

By the way who's Owen Farrel?

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

One of the reasons it's good is it doesn't use the same grapes as champagne which have always had a tendency to smell like cat's pee.

Sorry I read the forum and thought this was the most interesting bit of whether or not Owen Farrel came to TGG.

They tried a big marketing push around 12 years ago (Some chap from Paris took the job) lasted only a few months sadly big money is needed to market nowadays but still a damm good value for money drink:)

Paul

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

They tried a big marketing push around 12 years ago (Some chap from Paris took the job) lasted only a few months sadly big money is needed to market nowadays but still a damm good value for money drink:)

Paul

And champagne still smell like cats pee!

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

And then someone says it all, and more french clubs in SL would mean more reasons to go.

By the way who's Owen Farrel?

I think he would’ve done ok.  I also think it’s probably a bit too late for him now though as he’ll probably finish career on a shed load of brass and decide he’s nothing to prove.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think he would’ve done ok.  I also think it’s probably a bit too late for him now though as he’ll probably finish career on a shed load of brass and decide he’s nothing to prove.

Who LD?

?

Did a  trip to sort out an RL community  tour in the 70's. Didn't come off but....

Ended up on Limoux market square  when on  one corner was Louis  Bonnery's sports shop.

On the other  corner was his bar and Blanquette was in barrels on draft....... Forget silly glasses measures.....  and the great man serving  behind the bar himself.   One of the  best session in my life.....

Archived