Owen Farrell back?

Farrell won't be coming to rugby league. Outside the current Coronavirus period, he gets paid £750,000 a year for club rugby, heaven knows how much for his England duties, plus sponsorships, media rights etc. He is more or less guaranteed a well paid post playing career, too. Why would he move into our smaller, downward, backward looking parochial game?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Farrell won't be coming to rugby league. Outside the current Coronavirus period, he gets paid £750,000 a year for club rugby, heaven knows how much for his England duties, plus sponsorships, media rights etc. He is more or less guaranteed a well paid post playing career, too. Why would he move into our smaller, downward, backward looking parochial game?

Thank you for those few kinds words.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

..... Why would he move into our smaller, downward, backward looking parochial game?

Why do we have to have this type of comment constantly churned out? Generally by the supporters of larger clubs, who believe that their involvement with the great names of the game confers some superiority of viewpoint.

Smaller? Yes.

Backward-looking? Is an appreciation of the history of the game, an enjoyment of nostalgia, and an awareness of past context to be used as an insult? Is having an unrealistic vision, or an impossible one, a superior mode of thought than that of balancing expectations and hopes with realism?

Parochial? Is it parochial to have a desire to see your team do as well as possible in the results-based activity in which it is involved? Are the supporters of Wigan, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Leicester, somehow less parochial than those of Batley, carrying a wider vision of the future of their sport even if it means the elimination of their own team?

Downward? This - grass-roots involvement - is the real problem (in spite of occasional dubious statistics occasionally quoted), one shared with many other sporting activities, and an issue for which there seems, in Rugby League, to be a serious reluctance for discussion.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Thank you for those few kinds words.

Go on then... Why would Farrell move to rugby league?  You think the games high profile, forward thinking, expansionist outlook will win him over?

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

England RU make £25 000 per game. I know Maro Itoje got paid £900 000 for his image rights Farrell's will be around there. All Farrell needs to do is play 8 games for England then hes earning over a million pound a year. Also considering RU lions is being played next year each player who remains in the squad for the whole tour will get paid £750 000 plus £10 000 if they win the series. He wasn't going anywhere to begin with.

The wolfpacks SBW signing is the last big publicity signing we will see in the SL for a long long time. Why would he starve himself playing RL. RL is wanting to get rid of the 15000 minimum salary. We don't have the money he NRL and Union have. We got bigger problems securing the games survival and integrity.

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Go on then... Why would Farrell move to rugby league?  You think the games high profile, forward thinking, expansionist outlook will win him over?

There is zero chance of any union players from the top tier coming or even the 2nd tier to our game after the Toronto debacle. The suits at Twickenham must be rolling about on the floor now laughing at us

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

There is zero chance of any union players from the top tier coming or even the 2nd tier to our game after the Toronto debacle. The suits at Twickenham must be rolling about on the floor now laughing at us

I doubt they’re bothered tbh, sadly.  That said their Saracens farce is no less abysmal than our Toronto one. 

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I'm not going to make a counter argument, I am sure you are right.

It would be a strange man that would accept an enormous pay cut, just to follow in his dads footsteps.

I just don't think your scathing comments needed to be said.

Are you a fan of our game, or are you just hovering here, waiting for opportunities to put the boot in? 

The difference is perhaps Saracens will devise a way out of it, possibly with the support (tacit?) of the union authorities.

Here in rugby league we seem to have a few clubs with gross annula incomes of between £5 million and £12 million approx. Subject to correction of course but I think NRL clubs are in the £20 million or more gross revenue area. We really are just a set of small business.

10 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

....Are you a fan of our game....

Only since 1957.

Sometimes we have to face the truth though. It gets me angry over the years to see all the  money from directors donations, fans money, Sky money, etc and the wasted opportunities (Paris, and now Toronto ).

The world has changed. Where people live, where people work, how they use their  leisure time, what they want from that leisure time, how they travel,  etc etc. has all changed. 

You only need to see what the NFL has achieved in the short time it has targeted the UK. Sell out after sell out after sell out. Onwards and upwards.

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Only since 1957.

My father told me, John, when in doubt, choose the kind way. 

Archived