Brian McDermott’s Four Quarters Idea

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why isn’t it?

Deliberate obtuseness is not a great look. 

Laws of the game called Rugby League since 1895 and still to this day...

Length of game 1. The game shall normally be of eighty minutes duration.

Interval At half time there shall be an interval of five minutes but this may be extended or reduced.

Some rules are fundamental to the sport.

4 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Interval At half time there shall be an interval of five minutes but this may be extended or reduced.

9’s is still Rugby League. 

12 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Some rules are. This one is not.

In fact, it even says "normally" in the rule, suggesting that at times it isn't.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The NRL trialed quarters in their pre-season games  (though still at 80mins duration) and to be honest they were pretty enjoyable to watch. The intensity was sustained throughout as players knew they only had to go full on in 20min bursts.

Personally i'd be quite happy to see the game switch to 4 - 20minute quarters with breaks of 5mins, 10mins and then 5mins. Not sure i'd like to see the games drop to just 60mins though

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Long before McDermott weighed in, I floated this idea on here.

My idea was better, 4x20 mins. The reasoning was to give players a break, reduce the number of interchanges (to 8 or 6) to allow a minute or two of onfield coaching and taking stock, and of course being more attractive to TV companies.

Various posters tried to laugh it off with references to helmets and forward passes.

Not sure why.

1 hour ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

"normally"

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

And presumably time-outs and a two-minute warning...?

I’d like to see them introduce four downs instead of six tackles, and to keep possession how about they have to move forward at least ten yards in those four downs. Scrap the stupid no forward pass rule too. 

Playing 60 minutes as opposed to 80 still stays the same as rugby league. And in the extenuating circumstances it might help safety of players IF we play 2 games a week.

Even if we have 80 minutes, long time then quarters might help us make money if the TV companies make more money out of adverts. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d like to see them introduce four downs instead of six tackles, and to keep possession how about they have to move forward at least ten yards in those four downs. Scrap the stupid no forward pass rule too. 

You forgot the dropping the ball.

Your points are of course all irrelevant. Quarters does not change RL. And in an emergency 60 minutes does not change RL.

RL has already been changed, for the worse.  The game is too quick and the 10m line has barstewardised the game for the worse.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You forgot the dropping the ball.

Your points are of course all irrelevant. Quarters does not change RL. And in an emergency 60 minutes does not change RL.

RL has already been changed, for the worse.  The game is too quick and the 10m line has barstewardised the game for the worse.

And this obviously self interested idea from McDermott would quicken it even further.  Some players would be back to doing 5 minute spells. It changes the game in all manners and cheapens RL's strengths.

Not for me and I suspect many, many others of ALL ages.

I doubt he would even have mentioned it had he coached Wigan or Saints.

First of all it's not new and it's not his idea.

Secondly we have tried and it was great!

Lastly it is TGG you just rewrite the rule book and stop us looking like Yawn in several other ways and you avoid market place similarity being a problem.

BTW been there and only threw the T-shirt out not so long ago! Where were you lot?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived