Brian McDermott’s Four Quarters Idea

4 quarters with two more 'end of period' hooters would be too much of a change in my view. As others have said, knowing the game will come to a full stop changes the play. 

But as McDermott himself mentions in the article, there is precedent for slightly longer in-play stoppages roughly midway through halves, at appropriate moments. NRL did this in Olympic year if I remember rightly for water breaks, as more games were played in the full heat of the Aussie summer. 

I could live with a 120 second break after a dead ball situation once a half, IF it could be shown there was a clear commercial benefit to it that keeps clubs healthy. 

But 60 minute games I'm not comfortable with. In my view that changes the nature of the game profoundly.

If we need to play out the full schedule, just extend the season for as long as necessary, into 2021 if we have to.

We can jiggle around the seasons for the next 3 years to catch up if we have to, only the World Cup is probably set in stone, and even that may be able to be pushed back slightly. Some of the football venues might need that anyway. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

The NRL trialed quarters in their pre-season games  (though still at 80mins duration) and to be honest they were pretty enjoyable to watch. The intensity was sustained throughout as players knew they only had to go full on in 20min bursts.

Personally i'd be quite happy to see the game switch to 4 - 20minute quarters with breaks of 5mins, 10mins and then 5mins. Not sure i'd like to see the games drop to just 60mins though

4 x 15 minutes but the clock stops any time the ball is out of play eg in touch/kicks at goal/as soon as a try is scored.

20 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Playing 60 minutes as opposed to 80 still stays the same as rugby league. And in the extenuating circumstances it might help safety of players IF we play 2 games a week.

Even if we have 80 minutes, long time then quarters might help us make money if the TV companies make more money out of adverts. 

What will help the safety of the player's, is dropping the interchange ruling to 3, gone would be the day's of the 10 minute behomoths, they would be replaced by forwards still big lads but capable of sustaining longer minute's on the pitch. 

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Because there are a different number of players and different rules to rugby league. It’s no more rugby league than Union is. 

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

No it isn’t. 

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which rules of 9s make it League whereas that difference in rule makes 7s Union? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong btw, I don’t watch 9s, 7s or other than very occasionally Union so don’t know the rules. 

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

So other than line outs how is that different to 9s?

I wish I had your strength of conviction. Being able to come on public forums and making sweeping statements with zero supporting evidence whatsoever. In some ways it's an admirable quality...

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, even though it’s “plastic”, in your opinion, it’s still Rugby League, as you’ve stated. 

Term it as you see fit Wiggy, but in my opinion it is just a 'novelty' game that when I was young was played as a 7's tournament by pro clubs to make a few bob through the gates, it was not taken seriously by hardly anyone, even the recent surge of the NRL and World Cup 9's did not entice either the paying public or TV audiences, why because apart from the shape of the pitch, ball and posts it has no resemblance whatsoever to the 13 a side game, quite honestly I don't get any pleasure at all from it and the evidence shows I am not alone.

41 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I wish I had your strength of conviction. Being able to come on public forums and making sweeping statements with zero supporting evidence whatsoever. In some ways it's an admirable quality...

That’s what this forum is all about. However RLG if you’d bothered to read what I said I was asking the question, which hasn’t been answered anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s what this forum is all about. However RLG if you’d bothered to read what I said I was asking the question, which hasn’t been answered anyway. 

I did read it, and you only asked the question after deciding on your standpoint, instead of asking the question first and then making an informed judgement. Why don't you ask questions to get information before making decisions?

The major difference between league and union in any format is the PTB restart after a tackle. If you needed somebody to tell you that then I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Does no one on here get it, McDermott's suggestion is the best possible chance if proceedings happen to be reinstated of his team avoiding relegation.

Wash your mouth out, Harold. Brian McDermott wouldn’t dream of proposing changes that seem designed purely to suit Toronto and not the wider game.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

This season is a write off, it is exactly the time to be bold and try stuff. Not everything will work but we will never get this chance to try and fail again.

I'd don't think we're quite there yet, but if we can't restart by July 1, then yes, I'd be up for trying out a few radical formats. Why not? 

Broncos v Warrington at Carcassonne was played in 4 x 20 minute quarters

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

League game IIRC, classed as an on the road game. Played in evening and around 80 + degrees at KO 

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I did read it, and you only asked the question after deciding on your standpoint, instead of asking the question first and then making an informed judgement. Why don't you ask questions to get information before making decisions?

The major difference between league and union in any format is the PTB restart after a tackle. If you needed somebody to tell you that then I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

What a deeply patronising individual you are ?

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

Is that the only stadium with drinks?

YES,but not with the setup they have and the choice of many craft ales stalls. always looks rather busy all game,were as over here its more a half time rush.

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I'd don't think we're quite there yet, but if we can't restart by July 1, then yes, I'd be up for trying out a few radical formats. Why not? 

If we can start in July why not leave the game as it is and as I suggested on another thread have a  season that goes back to the old days and have it continued through Winter ? We have had a months play so starting in July we would probably finish in January, early February.. Then start the new season in March. 

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Wash your mouth out, Harold. Brian McDermott wouldn’t dream of proposing changes that seem designed purely to suit Toronto and not the wider game.

Are you arguing against the idea because you don't think it's feasible (and if so why) or just because McDermott proposed it (even though he says he's not proposing it just as a way of avoiding relegation).

31 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Was it really 4 quarters with kick offs between each, or simply a water break around half way through each half at a natural break in play eg a scrum?

AFAIK it was 4 quarters rather than just water breaks. 

Archived