Best NRL fullback of the last 30 years

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/03/simply-the-best-which-fullback-better-than-all-the-rest/

Online poll on NRL.com

Plenty of talent to choose from.

It's out of Lockyer and Slater for me.. Really close, but leaning towards Locky.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slater . One thing that struck me was his positional brilliance and awareness  . Wherever a kick went he seemed to be there waiting for it , and then he was on the counter . Add in his support , his speed , his part of a fantastic spine . Just had the complete fullback game 

My vote is for Lockyer. The fact he was the best 6 of his generation shouldn't take away from his influence at full back. If Lockyer had played out his career at 1 I don't even think there would be a debate.

The modern role of the full back as the key attacking player on the park can be traced back to Lockyer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's a pretty tough one i think. Slater had the better physical attributes, but with ball in hand Lockyer was fantastic.

And Inglis.. a complete monster. 

Timmy Brasher was a wonderful full back also, though not in the same league as the above three, but pure class non the less.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

They are all so far ahead of British full backs of the last 20-odd years its not funny!

Mmm , and Tedesco , Stewart , Hayne , Boyd and Inglis weren’t bad 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mmm , and Tedesco , Stewart , Hayne , Boyd and Inglis weren’t bad 

Tedesco has the talent if he stays injury free to be up there with Slater/Lockyer,Hayne before he went off to the NFL was for a few seasons.

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My vote is for Lockyer. The fact he was the best 6 of his generation shouldn't take away from his influence at full back. If Lockyer had played out his career at 1 I don't even think there would be a debate.

The modern role of the full back as the key attacking player on the park can be traced back to Lockyer.

Good post and pretty much saved me from writing!

6 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's a pretty tough one i think. Slater had the better physical attributes, but with ball in hand Lockyer was fantastic.

And Inglis.. a complete monster. 

Timmy Brasher was a wonderful full back also, though not in the same league as the above three, but pure class non the less.

I had once had the pleasure of meeting Tim Brasher (I think it was 2004) at the Challenge cup final in Cardiff he was on the same table as me at a pre match event he told everyone that he was earning more money as a golf caddy  (10 % of earnings) than he ever did playing rugby league and that was 16 years ago:) If I remember correctly he was the caddy at the time for Terry Price.

Paul

I'm the biggest Lockyer fan (I believe he was the greatest player of all time) but Billy was a better fullback and probably the best of all time.

new rise.jpg

What about Anthony "The Count" Mincello he may come down the list of the best Aussie Full Backs, but far better than any we have produced in the last 25 years.

But, Slater the No1 for me he is as an exciting player as any I have ever seen since I have been involved in this game in well over 50 years.

Over 26,000 fans have voted on the NRL website. At this point in time 56% of the respondents have selected my choice, Billy Slater. No other player is even close. 

Case closed.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What about Anthony "The Count" Mincello he may come down the list of the best Aussie Full Backs, but far better than any we have produced in the last 25 years.

But, Slater the No1 for me he is as an exciting player as any I have ever seen since I have been involved in this game in well over 50 years.

Mini was a wonderful player who is very much underrated by some despite holding the Roosters records for appearance/tries and his 19 tests for Australia.

His record is even more outstanding given that from 2005 when he won the Golden Boot until 2010 he was severely hampered by a chronic back injury.

Archived