Have Wigan ever been kept scoreless at home?

I have unleashed my inner nerd & had a flick through a book I have entitled 'Wigan RLFC 1895/1986' by Ian Morrison.

Post First World War up to 1986 I found 5 matches, including an almost unheard of scoreless draw & bizarrely a Yorkshire Cup tie. (The book states that the Lancashire Cup had been suspended during WW2 - hence Wigans entry into the Yorkshire Cup).
1925/26 v Leeds             0-5
1942/43 v Dewsbury      0-6 (Yorkshire Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg)
1951/52 v Barrow           0-9
1973/74 v Castleford     0-0
1978/79 v Castleford     0-18                                                                                                                                                                                             

2 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

I have unleashed my inner nerd & had a flick through a book I have entitled 'Wigan RLFC 1895/1986' by Ian Morrison.

Post First World War up to 1986 I found 5 matches, including an almost unheard of scoreless draw & bizarrely a Yorkshire Cup tie. (The book states that the Lancashire Cup had been suspended during WW2 - hence Wigans entry into the Yorkshire Cup).
1925/26 v Leeds             0-5
1942/43 v Dewsbury      0-6 (Yorkshire Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg)
1951/52 v Barrow           0-9
1973/74 v Castleford     0-0
1978/79 v Castleford     0-18                                                                                                                                                                                             

Thanks.

I was told as a boy that Wigan had played in the Yorkshire Cup.

When I mentioned it at school a particular heckler rubbished my very existence. Thankfully I haven't seen him since around Wembley 89: 27-0 to WIGAN. The happiest day of my life.

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Nov 1991 v Leeds

Lost 0-19 at Central Park

I loved this game. How that great Wigan team lost to that Leeds team is mind-boggling. 19 is still one of my lottery numbers thanks to it.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

I loved this game. How that great Wigan team lost to that Leeds team is mind-boggling. 19 is still one of my lottery numbers thanks to it.

Yes it was, John Bentley scored a brilliant try.

12 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Thanks.

I was told as a boy that Wigan had played in the Yorkshire Cup.

When I mentioned it at school a particular heckler rubbished my very existence. Thankfully I haven't seen him since around Wembley 89: 27-0 to WIGAN. The happiest day of my life.

Oi

4 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Part time or not there were some greats in that era. Ellery Hanley and Andy Goodway were full time professional players back in 1985 when they signed for Wigan at about the same time.

Garry Schofield is in the Balmain Hall of Fame.

Halcyon days indeed?‼️

That was when 'official' attendances might not accurately reflect the actual number in the ground.

Players were paid in cash.

37000 v Manly ?

It was more like 50000 at £4 each unless you sat down. Standing, as I did, you could not move. Same at Wembley 1985 when stewards were prosecuted at the FA cup final⚽for letting people in for £5 after they had done the same at Wigan v Hull final. 97000 not?

Probably 110000

Appreciate I have drifted off topic slightly.

I too love amateur RL ?. Follow Chorley Panthers

51 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Phil Ford, legend. Was the pantomime villain for a while at Headingley but will always be one of my favourites along with John Bentley and Paul Dixon

He was my favourite player when I was younger. Better players than Ford have been scapegoated by the South Stand muppet army so it's nothing to be ashamed of. His hat-trick when we put 50 on Saints with 12 men for 60 minutes is one of my favourite RL memories.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

He was my favourite player when I was younger. Better players than Ford have been scapegoated by the South Stand muppet army so it's nothing to be ashamed of. His hat-trick when we put 50 on Saints with 12 men for 60 minutes is one of my favourite RL memories.

My dad used to call him Salman Rushdie because he thought that he looked like him and that's why he left Bradford lol

On 04/04/2020 at 00:08, Loiner said:

Yes it was, John Bentley scored a brilliant try.

Just watched the video and it occurred to me that I can't remember Bentley scoring a 'normal' try. It's as if he couldn't score unless he started 80m from the try line.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Archived