Last 0-0?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax 0-0 Hull in the semi final of the Challenge Cup in 1988.  That is the last scoreless game I can remember.

The lowest scoring game that I have attended is Bradford 2-2 Cas on 1 Jan  1985.  It was so cold that even Captain Oates was heard to have remarked at half-time ‘I am just popping out and may be some time’.

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Did not a Workington / Whitehaven Derby finish pointless about thirty years ago? 

It did. I was there. Tremendous match.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It did. I was there. Tremendous match.

It was a great game. Haven had a try disallowed in the last minute for a forward pass that looked marginal at best. Shame that.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

It was a great game. Haven had a try disallowed in the last minute for a forward pass that looked marginal at best. Shame that.

Aye, I remember that. I think the TJ wanted to keep it 0-0 at that point.

Workington missed two kicks? Or just one?

In keeping with the 'zero' element, it's also one of only a couple of games where there was an admission but I didn't have to pay. We were guests, via the club chaplin, of the Whitehaven board.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Remember it well , scoreless but it was still a gripping game . Much more disappointing was the Easter game . We couldn’t get over them that year but still won the league

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, I remember that. I think the TJ wanted to keep it 0-0 at that point.

Workington missed two kicks? Or just one?

In keeping with the 'zero' element, it's also one of only a couple of games where there was an admission but I didn't have to pay. We were guests, via the club chaplin, of the Whitehaven board.

spacer.png

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

15 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

My dad randomly took me to a Hull v Halifax Challenge Cup semi final in the 80s which finished 0-0. Looking it up online, it was in 1988.

We were both desperately trying to avoid getting hammered by Wigan at Wembley.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 hours ago, Derwent said:

Nah, was a mile forward...... Ha ha. 

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Nah, was a mile forward...... Ha ha. 

I think I was about in-line with the corner flag, or even past it where the non-try was scored - my dad had a habit of always making for the exit about a minute or 2 before the end of a game. Was the Whitehaven winger Peter Dover? 

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

I think I was about in-line with the corner flag, or even past it where the non-try was scored - my dad had a habit of always making for the exit about a minute or 2 before the end of a game. Was the Whitehaven winger Peter Dover? 

Yes it was Peter Dover, a Flimby lad.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh drew 1-1 with Warrington in 82 in the Premiership rd 1 game. Replay played at Central Park due to a fire at Wilderspool ?

Warrington won I think 10-9.

In the first game the scorers were Donlan for Leigh and Eccles for Wire, 8060 at Hilton Park and the ref was everyone's 'favourite', Billy Thompson. That's right about the replay ( Leigh: try Donlan, goals Woods (3); Wire: tries Bevan, Fellows, goals Hesford 1 + 2dg.) gate 6176, same ref. Rothmans doesn't mention the fire which was around that time.

On 04/04/2020 at 11:02, Derwent said:

Think i will take a bit of credit for that . Me and the wife were standing at the wall right in line with the pass .I screamed louder than i`ve ever done "forward" (as you do)  right down the linesmans lug hole who was just in front of us , must have frightened the lad into putting his flag up..........it wasn`t forward .  Deano missed a couple of kicks 30 to 40 yards out in line with the sticks , one of his rare off days .

• 6 months later...
On 04/04/2020 at 00:20, Hela Wigmen said:

Had a look online and Google just brings up copious amounts of R0-0’s between Old Bellendian 5ths v Old Poshtoffington’s 3rds and the Union like. But when was the last 0-0 in Rugby League at professional level over here?

Once a Bellendian, always a Bellendian

Archived