Last 0-0?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/04/2020 at 00:20, Hela Wigmen said:

Had a look online and Google just brings up copious amounts of R0-0’s between Old Bellendian 5ths v Old Poshtoffington’s 3rds and the Union like. But when was the last 0-0 in Rugby League at professional level over here?

I played for upyourownarse rufc in a 0-0 against a smellyfishhead XV.

For the record there have been 426 scoreless draws since 1895 (plus a further 18 matches that were abandoned with neither team having scored).  The last match was indeed 28 December 1993, between Whitehaven & Workington.  The only top flight 0-0 since two divisions was re-introduced was Wigan-Cas, 26 Jan 1974, though since then Salford-Wire (Floodlit Trophy final, 17 Dec 1974), Dewsbury-Rochdale (2nd division, 30 Jan 1983) & Halifax-Hull (CC semi, 26 Mar 1988) were the other pointless answers you could have had.

Other than Salford-Wire, only two other finals finished scoreless: the final of the first ever Lancashire Cup, in 1905 between Leigh & Wigan (Wigan won the replay 8-0), and the 1901 South West Lancs Cup between Wire & Leigh - there being no replay, as Wire conceded, having played a Challenge Cup final two days before the first game, and not wishing to play the replay two days after the drawn match (cue a debate about player welfare / competition formats, etc!)

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

On 05/04/2020 at 10:26, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh drew 1-1 with Warrington in 82 in the Premiership rd 1 game. Replay played at Central Park due to a fire at Wilderspool ?

Warrington won I think 10-9.

This must be the only 1-1 score in R.L. history as drop goals were only introduced in the seventies. Has there ever been a 1/0 score line either way? I know of one other unusual score line for Leigh when they beat Huyton 2-0 in a challenge cup replay in 1970.

7 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

This must be the only 1-1 score in R.L. history as drop goals were only introduced in the seventies. Has there ever been a 1/0 score line either way? I know of one other unusual score line for Leigh when they beat Huyton 2-0 in a challenge cup replay in 1970.

I recall a 1-0 from Division 2 in about 1977. Possibly New Hunslet v Dewsbury?

I had the ‘pleasure’ of attending a match at Borough Park on a bitterly cold February day in about 1981 involving the two worst teams in professional RL.  It was absolutely dire and finished 2-0 for visitors Doncaster. Two drop goals by Tony Banham no less.

26 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Workington and Hull KR drew 1-1 in the 1980/81 season at Derwent Park.

The last 1-0 I can recall is Barrow winning by that score away at Hull KR around 1994 ish.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 04/04/2020 at 11:21, Pyjamarama said:

Just had a look at the scores of Wigans matches at the time of the split from RU. What's remarkable is just how low scoring the games in the early days of the Northern Union were. 

As an example, Wigans first dozen games in the 1895/96 season: 
Broughton R. (a)    9-0
Liversage  (a)         3-0
Wakefield T. (a)    9-13
Tyldesley  (h)          0-0
Widnes  (h)             3-0
Bradford  (h)           0-0
Brighouse R.  (a)    3-3
Manningham  (a)   0-5 
Rochdale H. (a)      0-0
Warrington (h)        9-0
Runcorn (h)             0-0
St Helens (a)           0-0

Five scoreless draws in the first 3 months of the season. An average of just under 5 points a game - & that's including the Wakefield 'points fest' of 9-13. 

You're right.  The game was just RU in those days so draw your own conclusions.

Manningham won the league scoring 368 points in 42 games.   Less than 9 points a game and I bet most of those were penalties.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

41 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

This must be the only 1-1 score in R.L. history as drop goals were only introduced in the seventies. 

No - we've had drop goals longer than that.

There was a 0-0 between Burleigh Bears and Wynnum-Manly Seagulls in the opening round of the Queensland Cup in March 2010. Televised game, two professional clubs, decent weather conditions. Bodene Thompson, Clinton Toopi and Kurt Sorensen Jr playing for the Bears that day.

There have only been two 1-1 results, both flagged above: Workington-Hull KR in the league, 07/09/1980 & Leigh-Wire in the Premiership Trophy 03/05/1982.

There have been three 1-0 scorelines: the first was when Dewsbury beat York in a second division match, 20/02/1977; the only time in the top flight was when Workington won at Warrington on 11/11/1979; the most recent was another second division game when Hull KR lost at home to Barrow, 16/10/1994.

My personal favourite odd scoreline involving a one-pointer was Warrington's 84-1 victory over York in the cup in 2000.  Wire had talked up in the press the aim to keep the visitors scoreless; they were leading 24-0 when York finally got a sniff, and knocked over a drop-goal 🙂  Incredibly York lost 84-1 the following season too against Leigh in the second division!

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

14 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

There have only been two 1-1 results, both flagged above: Workington-Hull KR in the league, 07/09/1980 & Leigh-Wire in the Premiership Trophy 03/05/1982.

There have been three 1-0 scorelines: the first was when Dewsbury beat York in a second division match, 20/02/1977; the only time in the top flight was when Workington won at Warrington on 11/11/1979; the most recent was another second division game when Hull KR lost at home to Barrow, 16/10/1994.

My personal favourite odd scoreline involving a one-pointer was Warrington's 84-1 victory over York in the cup in 2000.  Wire had talked up in the press the aim to keep the visitors scoreless; they were leading 24-0 when York finally got a sniff, and knocked over a drop-goal 🙂  Incredibly York lost 84-1 the following season too against Leigh in the second division!

Excellent York stories there. Remember we drafted in a lad from Somerset who only knew Union at Uni to play in a friendly game. I can’t remember who we played but the first time he got the ball, he absolutely leathered it over for a drop goal, much to the bemusement of absolutely everyone else. We went in 14-1 down at half time, IIRC. 

19 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

I recall Keighley losing 66-1.  They dropped a goal at 56-0, determined not to be nilled.  

Against Swinton, if I recollect correctly.  Probably 30 years ago.

19 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

I meant when drop goals were reduced to 1 point (by the way all this discussion of drop goals must be irritating the editor of League express which still insists on describing them as ‘field’ goals!!)

Incorrectly, as has been pointed out on a number of occasions. The man is in thrall to the Aussies.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

I remember Leigh beating Keighley 92-2 in 1986 and Keighley going for goal. Not sure what score it was, but 80-0 rings a bell !

The drop goal for York when we beat them 84-1 was a pearler if i recall !!

One of our supporters was in Lancashire on business and went to the Keighley game. Apparently Leigh were booed off at the end of the game because they eased up in the last few minutes and didn't make it 100! We're never satisfied, are we?

On 27/10/2020 at 23:27, Neil_Ormston said:

I was at both the Dewsbury 1-0 York game and the 0-0 with Rochdale in 1983. The latter was a classic mud-fest with hardly two play the ball sequences being completed before the ball squirmed out: scrum after tedious scrum in torrential rain, yet a few hardy souls insisted in watching from the open terrace of the long stand throughout. By the last five minutes the crowd was actually willing on a 0-0 conclusion, if only to say "I was there". They were not to be disappointed.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Griff said:

I recall Keighley losing 66-1.  They dropped a goal at 56-0, determined not to be nilled.  

Against Swinton, if I recollect correctly.  Probably 30 years ago.

That must have been the thinking as Blackpool Borough led Australia 1-0 through a Bak Diabira drop goal in the opening match of the 1978 Kangaroo Tour.  They didn’t trouble the scoreboard again and Australia won 39-1.

On 27/10/2020 at 23:27, Neil_Ormston said:

Was at the  Haven v Town 0-0, the Town v HKR 1-1 and was taken to Warrington as a 14 yr old by my dad mid week I seem to remember when we won 1-0 Boxer Walker getting the drop goal I think.

• 1 year later...

Archived