Greatest players - best 3 goalkickers

Wakefield Ram

Going to take a bit of thought this one ...

Clearly Nigel S ....  and probably Barry Eaton select themselves .....  but from my perspective ... one player who didn't play long for us but did kick a few goals and was arguably one of the best kickers ever .... was John Maloney ..... does he get in or just get a mention?

Paul Sykes also has been excellent for us ....  One other I won't include but if we were going on percentage success rate I'm sure Brett Seymour would be up there also.... what about Finny?   

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

Going to take a bit of thought this one ...

Clearly Nigel S ....  and probably Barry Eaton select themselves .....  but from my perspective ... one player who didn't play long for us but did kick a few goals and was arguably one of the best kickers ever .... was John Maloney ..... does he get in or just get a mention?

Paul Sykes also has been excellent for us ....  One other I won't include but if we were going on percentage success rate I'm sure Brett Seymour would be up there also.... what about Finny?   

Yes Finny and Paul Sykes must be up there and Brett Seymour was deadly but fairly short spell. Vaguely remember John Maloney as well.

Don't forget Greg Pearce and his 13 goals in a game, with Francis maloney emulating the feat.

The best for me was Chris Wilkinson who was a brilliant goalkicker until the coach, in his wisdom, decided to bring in a goalkicking coach (it might have been Alred). He restructured CW's approach and stance following whch his kicking was never as good again.

Paul Sykes must be one of the very best that we have had in a long time but those with longer memories than mine will probably recall players from the era when goalkicking was an absolutely vital component of the game; when matches were often in single figure scores, separated by one goal either way. Nigel Stephenson wasn't bad but he wasn't outstanding when there were a host of good kickers on the scene.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This is a tough one, we have had some great kickers , I'll go for the following. 

1. Greg Pearce 

2.Paul Sykes 

3.Barry Eaton.

Special mentions for N.Stephenson, C.Wilkinson, L.Finn, B,Seymour and P.Walker.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't forget Greg Pearce and his 13 goals in a game, with Francis maloney emulating the feat.

The best for me was Chris Wilkinson who was a brilliant goalkicker until the coach, in his wisdom, decided to bring in a goalkicking coach (it might have been Alred). He restructured CW's approach and stance following whch his kicking was never as good again.

Paul Sykes must be one of the very best that we have had in a long time but those with longer memories than mine will probably recall players from the era when goalkicking was an absolutely vital component of the game; when matches were often in single figure scores, separated by one goal either way. Nigel Stephenson wasn't bad but he wasn't outstanding when there were a host of good kickers on the scene.

Agree - for distance Wilko was the best. Of course back in the good old days, there weren't any fangled kicking tees. They just dug a hole, (not easy on hard grounds), and toe ended it endways on.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Barry Eaton, Chris Wilkinson, Paul Sykes / Chris Vasey. Sorry couldn't decide on 3rd place. I was going to heap praise on Chris Wilkinson for his in play kicking also and then my mind turned to Richard Agar and a game against Widnes in the 1999 play offs...unbelievable. I think there was even a beer called the 40:20 named after him at the West Riding Refreshments Rooms following that game.

2 hours ago, Statto said:

Barry Eaton, Chris Wilkinson, Paul Sykes / Chris Vasey. Sorry couldn't decide on 3rd place. I was going to heap praise on Chris Wilkinson for his in play kicking also and then my mind turned to Richard Agar and a game against Widnes in the 1999 play offs...unbelievable. I think there was even a beer called the 40:20 named after him at the West Riding Refreshments Rooms following that game.

Forgotten that too.   Wasn’t it 7 40:20s ?

Didn’t  he also kick a penalty from the half way line to beat Rochdale 32:30 in the last minute ? Probably 10 years ago, maybe more. 

Barry Eaton

Les Holliday

Greg Pearce 

Other goalkickers; Richard Agar, Paul Sykes, Liam Finn, Pat Walker, Francis Maloney, Dean Lawford, Richard Slather.

The best drop goal I have even seen was by Kevin Crouthers (from the touchline) against Featherstone. 

10 hours ago, NickD said:

Forgotten that too.   Wasn’t it 7 40:20s ?

Didn’t  he also kick a penalty from the half way line to beat Rochdale 32:30 in the last minute ? Probably 10 years ago, maybe more. 

That was Pat Walker.

4 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Barry Eaton

Les Holliday

Greg Pearce 

Other goalkickers; Richard Agar, Paul Sykes, Liam Finn, Pat Walker, Francis Maloney, Dean Lawford, Richard Slather.

The best drop goal I have even seen was by Kevin Crouthers (from the touchline) against Featherstone. 

Yes vividly remember that one, think it was his only ever drop goal and it was a cracker.

10 hours ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

Barry Eaton

Les Holliday

Greg Pearce 

I remember that and at the time I said, “No Kev, no”, because of the distance and angle. He took no notice of me! Think we won 19-18. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

7 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Yes vividly remember that one, think it was his only ever drop goal and it was a cracker.

It wasn't his only one. When we beat Hunslet in 2007 by 83-6 he also dropped a goal (reported as a field goal by League Express but that's another thread altogether). The significance of this one, however, was that Francis Maloney had already kicked 13 goals in the match, equalling Greg Pearce's record. Francis was being set up for a drop goal, and the record, when silly Kevin intervened. The hooter went shortly afterwards and I don't think that Francis Maloney was best pleased, to say the least.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Greg Pearce was a great kicker and all-round player, however he'll always be remembered for missing a relatively simple conversion from next to the sticks at The Watersheddings in a Premiership game. It forced us into an exhilarating midweek replay win over Oldham at Mount Pleasant. I always wonder what would have happened if that goal went over. Would the lack of a replay have given us the strength and fitness to beat a white hot, Deryck Fox-inspired Fev team at Post Office Road in the semi? Maybe we'd have made it to Old Trafford.

Archived