Two great NRL talents now available for Super League in 2020

Ugh.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Given that both players are very talented, and given the fact that Super League clubs, except for the top five, are not overflowing with talent, it seems to me that some Super League clubs should be making advances to their managers as soon as possible. These two are most unlikely to sin again, and their contracts will have clauses guaranteeing that they don’t reoffend if they wish to retain their contract.

Cory Harawera- Naera will be a huge success for whichever club signs him. Jayden Okunbor, a powerful attacking outside back, will also have a big impact on the competition. Both will make Super League more attractive to Sky and BBC viewers.

12 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Given that both players are very talented, and given the fact that Super League clubs, except for the top five, are not overflowing with talent, it seems to me that some Super League clubs should be making advances to their managers as soon as possible. These two are most unlikely to sin again, and their contracts will have clauses guaranteeing that they don’t reoffend if they wish to retain their contract.

Cory Harawera- Naera will be a huge success for whichever club signs him. Jayden Okunbor, a powerful attacking outside back, will also have a big impact on the competition. Both will make Super League more attractive to Sky and BBC viewers.

They really won’t and didn’t KIA jump ship as Canterbury’s main sponsors on the back of their sordid behaviour,so maybe not such an attractive proposition.

• 3 months later...

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think that’s right . You can’t throw blokes on the scrap heap and scrub them out , they’ve paid a big price you’ve got to give them a second chance chance to get back into the environment and earn a living imo

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think that’s right . You can’t throw blokes on the scrap heap and scrub them out , they’ve paid a big price you’ve got to give them a second chance chance to get back into the environment and earn a living imo

As I stated earlier in the thread, the two were very different. I support Harawira-Naera being reinstated but I am not so sure about Okunbor given his actions (i.e. actually on the official school trip from the club and meeting one of the girls after).

Anyway, it's a done deal now.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

There's a difference between being:

1. Illegal (e.g. criminal).

2. Immoral.

3.  In breach of your duties to club/sport/NRL (which may cross over with being illegal).

If the girls were of the age of consent and consented, it seems (3) has been invoked by the club, understandably.  (1) isn't invoked.  (2) you could argue either way (if it's not illegal, how can it be immoral if they consent?) but my own view is that they are older and in a position of responsibility as players and so should have left well alone.

It was incredibly stupid of the Super League clubs not to have tried to sign them when they were still de registered. Harawira-Naera was rated one of the top backrowers in the NRL before he was de registered. Okunbor is a Nigerian international. They could have made a great contribution to the quality of the Super League competition, had they been signed up.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

It was incredibly stupid of the Super League clubs not to have trip tried to sign them when they were still de registered. Harawira-Naera was rated one of the top backrowers in the NRL before he was de registered. Okunbor is a Nigerian international. They could have made a great contribution to the quality of the Super League competition, had they been signed up.

They might still do that.  Nothing to stop either considering leaving and using their circumstances of being but under pressure, stressful situation, feeling of not being supported by the club etc.

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

They might still do that.  Nothing to stop either considering leaving and using their circumstances of being but under pressure, stressful situation, feeling of not being supported by the club etc.

I am not sure what money these two players  are being offered by Canterbury-Bankstown, and what money a Super League club might offer them. That will be crucial. 

43 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I am not sure what money these two players  are being offered by Canterbury-Bankstown, and what money a Super League club might offer them. That will be crucial. 

Harawira would be on at least $650 000, possibly $700 000. Okinbur only a couple of hundred thousand.

You can not under estimate the damage behaviour like this is doing to the prospects of Rugby League in this Country. The Bulldogs loss of a $2 000 000 per year sponsorship from a restaurant which promotes itself as a "family restaurant" chain says it all. As I have said repeatedly League is often stereotyped as a game played by boofheads. Rusted on fans like myself can get over episodes like this(just) there are many, many people out there, casual sports viewers who do not . To make this episode rally galling for me ,a) it was done on a promotional tour to schools ,where the schools trust was completely betrayed (other schools after this said ` no thanks` you`re not welcome, 2) it was bang in the middle of very delicate T.V. rights negotiations and may have ,combined with several other incidents at the time, cost  the game several hundred millions of dollars. POSTSCRIPT: Currently we have two high profile players about to go to court over rape charges and another player facing a court case over a stabbing incident.

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You can not under estimate the damage behaviour like this is doing to the prospects of Rugby League in this Country. The Bulldogs loss of a $2 000 000 per year sponsorship from a restaurant which promotes itself as a "family restaurant" chain says it all. As I have said repeatedly League is often stereotyped as a game played by boofheads. Rusted on fans like myself can get over episodes like this(just) there are many, many people out there, casual sports viewers who do not . To make this episode rally galling for me ,a) it was done on a promotional tour to schools ,where the schools trust was completely betrayed (other schools after this said ` no thanks` you`re not welcome, 2) it was bang in the middle of very delicate T.V. rights negotiations and may have ,combined with several other incidents at the time, cost  the game several hundred millions of dollars. POSTSCRIPT: Currently we have two high profile players about to go to court over rape charges and another player facing a court case over a stabbing incident.

Sounds like Rugby union, football and cricket

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sounds like Rugby union, football and cricket

Certainly not rugby union in this country, and League does not have the critical mass like football or even American Football or basketball (where I believe they have a lot of scandals) to continually get over these things. Less money in our broadcast deal , more money in that other code ,who`s is going to get the talented juniors, and that is where the rot starts.

Archived