MAGIC MOMENTS

Steve Slater

23 minutes ago, Adam B said:

For added novelty value, I should add that the two likely lads stood to the left of that returning couple, are me and my mate.

We rarely if ever leave early, and why you'd ever do so when there's less than a converted score in it I've absolutely no idea, although in mitigation I do seem to recall we'd never really got going all game?

I remember that game well, it was in the Championship Shield not long after Jon Sharp took over and he was starting a bit of a clearout of players he didn't like, and we had a load of youngsters playing. Batley had a really big pack - Hirst, Rowe, Hesketh, Scott, Day, Brown etc - and they absolutely rolled us down the middle for most of the game, they were leading 26-6 with 6 or 7 minutes left, we scored 3 quick tries and then came Ainscough's moment of madness.

We had been a massively underachieving team that year - we had a couple of great away wins at London and Bradford where we looked very good and nearly beat Catalans away in the Cup with an under-strength team, but loads of terrible performances (the worst was probably losing 29-0 at home to Whitehaven). We did at least win the Championship Shield and then got back on track the following season.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We had been a massively underachieving team that year - we had a couple of great away wins at London and Bradford where we looked very good and nearly beat Catalans away in the Cup with an under-strength team, but loads of terrible performances (the worst was probably losing 29-0 at home to Whitehaven). We did at least win the Championship Shield and then got back on track the following season.

Underachieving and inconsistent as I recall, a killer combination. That Whitehaven game made for a grim spectacle, most of the players just didn't look bothered, presumably as we'd long since missed out on the real qualifiers, though they'd have done well to ask themselves whose fault that was. However a few weeks previously, that away performance by our injury-hit under-strength team at a full-time Bradford on the hottest night of the year was really something to savour; classic Fev. That we followed such a memorable away win with such a balls up at home against Dewsbury really exemplified our season, even allowing for the fatigue factor. I remember Dewsbury breaking away (was it an interception?) and Thacks going over for them with about five minutes to go, and knowing that was the season pretty much done. Hay too, given it was inevitable that Ming the Merciless was unlikely to accept that squad not making the top four, and sure enough wasn't he turfed out the next day?

On 06/04/2020 at 19:35, Steve Slater said:

I wasn't there, it was a Friday night game at Salford in 1977, but by all accounts the levelling score (or the try that brought us one point behind?), by Steve Quinn, I believe, and the touchline conversion by Neil Tuffs set us on the way for winning the championship. So that must have been one of the most important scores in our history? Can anyone who was there expand?

Yes we were down to 12 men, I can't remember for how long though. I'm sure it was Harold Box that got sent off,  I apologise if I'm wrong. We then went up to barrow needing to win there to win the league. Happy days.

I know we lost but that game away at saints will live with me forever we were being  thrashed at half time.

Then in second we just started playing some of the best rugby i have seen fev play ever and nearly pulled it back

Great stuff oh the memories lol

On 09/04/2020 at 11:05, philcow said:

I know we lost but that game away at saints will live with me forever we were being  thrashed at half time.

Then in second we just started playing some of the best rugby i have seen fev play ever and nearly pulled it back

Great stuff oh the memories lol

Great game that.

• 2 months later...
On 05/04/2020 at 18:25, jamescolin said:

I remember Steve Evans running almost 80 yards when we played Leeds away. He beat the players in front of him and then outpaced the chasers. Sticks in hy memory as one of the best trys.

Boxing day 1980. Rovers on  5-2 I think. Evans outpaced John Holmes , Neil Hague and Les Dyl. He promptly spewed up just after grounding the ball. Rovers were flying high after their return to top flight rugby only for the season to take a down turn with Rovers only narrowly avoiding relegation ultimately. 

My top 16 moments through the ages.

1. First real sporting memory 17-0 up in no time v Bradford, Wembley 73.

2. My first game v Wigan April 74. 

3.Hammering Leeds 33-7 in the Challenge Cup Quarter final of 76.

4.Winning the championship v Wigan on Grandstand. 1977. 

5. John Gilbert's winning try in a magnificent challenge cup display at St Helens. 

6. Wembley 83. Steve Quinn's kick, tears, unbelievable sporting feeling I'll never sadly experience again. The pinnacle, the ultimate. 

7. Deryck Fox feign for a drop goal then dart for the winning try v Hull, regal trophy 1983/84. 

8. Rovers doomed, April 1984 two games to play, 2 wins required to stay up.

Losing by 3pts to Bradford in the penultimate game on the hooter. Last tackle 10 metres from our own line at the POR end, up hill. Banks makes a half break and feeds South African ex Northern winger Dave Barends the ball , Dave streaks 60 yards and wins the game and creates a lifeline. Rovers overcome Fulham in the following game and miraculously maintain their top flight status.

9 Keith Bell's last kick drop goal to beat Castleford 1984/85.

10. Beating Cas at their ground after been down and out with 12 minutes left in YC semi 1988/89 ish.

11. The performance v Wigan at home 1993/94 absolutely owned the best team in the league.

12. Hammering Leeds at Headingley March 94, perhaps the last time we beat Leeds in a competitive game, doing the double over them that season. 

13  Halifax away 2009. 18-0 down with 25 minutes left. The Halifax fans laughing their coccones off at Fev's haphazard display. The same people with tears in their eyes after a 25 minute Kyle inspired comeback blitz, scenes in that stand unprecedented as the hooter went.

14. Halifax play off semi 2010, the best post SL Rovers team being majestic. One game too early unfortunately. 

15. 2011 at Warrington, at last deserved silverware. Tommy's try the ultimate icing in the cake.

16. Cas 2012. One of the greatest days as underdog. Tangi Ropati's try, then his victimisation. 

On 08/04/2020 at 12:51, POR said:

Ron willet a class goalkicker missing convertion for  hardisty's last minute try in 67 quarter final MAGIC!!!!!!!!

Gary Jordan was the unsung hero of that passage of play. Hardisty made the break and was obviously going to score but Gary Jordan made him earn it, and in doing so pushed Alan to touch down adjacent to the touchline.  Alan told me that years later during physio. 

19 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

My top 16 moments through the ages.

1. First real sporting memory 17-0 up in no time v Bradford, Wembley 73.

2. My first game v Wigan April 74. 

3.Hammering Leeds 33-7 in the Challenge Cup Quarter final of 76.

4.Winning the championship v Wigan on Grandstand. 1977. 

5. John Gilbert's winning try in s magnificent challenge cup display at St Helens. 

6. Wembley 83. Steve Quinn's kick, tears, unbelievable sporting feeling I'll never sadly experience again. The pinnacle, the ultimate. 

7. Deryck Fox feign for a drop goal then dart for the winning try v Hull, regal trophy 1983/84. 

8. Rovers doomed, April 1984 to games to play, 2 wins required to stay up.

Losing by 3pts to Bradford in the penultimate game on the hooter. Last tackle 10 metres from our own line at the POR end, up hill. Banks makes a half break and feeds South African ex Northern winger Dave Barends the ball , Dave streaks 60 yards and wins the game and creates a lifeline. Rovers overcome Fulham in the following game and miraculously maintain their top flight status.

9 Keith Bell's last kick drop goal to beat Castleford 1984/85.

10. Beating Cas at their ground after been down and out with 12 minutes left in YC semi 1988/89 ish.

11. The performance v Wigan at home 1993/94 absolutely owned the best team in the league.

12. Hammering Leeds at Headingley March 94, perhaps the last time we beat Leeds in a competitive game, doing the double over them that season. 

13  Halifax away 2009. 18-0 down with 25 minutes left. The Halifax fans laughing their coccones off at Fev's haphazard display. The same people with tears in their eyes after a 25 minute Kyle inspired comeback blitz, scenes in that stand unprecedented as the hooter went.

14. Halifax play off semi 2010, the best post SL Rovers team being majestic. One game too early unfortunately. 

15. 2011 at Warrington, at last deserved silverware. Tommy's try the ultimate icing in the cake.

16. Cas 2012. One of the greatest days as underdog. Tangi Ropati's try, then his victimisation. 

Iam 100% sure we beat Workington at home in 1977 to win Championship and i don't think it was on Grandstand, correct me if iam wrong. 

2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Iam 100% sure we beat Workington at home in 1977 to win Championship and i don't think it was on Grandstand, correct me if iam wrong. 

Trophy was presented against Workington, it was won at Barrow, midweek game, 7 - 5.

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Trophy was presented against Workington, it was won at Barrow, midweek game, 7 - 5.

My somewhat shaky memories of the Workington game is that there was quite a subdued atmosphere considering the occasion. The game was a dead rubber and Fev were workmanlike for much of the contest even though winning comfortably in the end. I was trying to think why the atmosphere was a bit muted, but then I remembered it was the day that Leeds half-back Chris Sanderson tragically died within a few minutes of being carried off at Salford in the early minutes of the game. From memory it didn't take long for news to filter out - the Leeds game was abandoned before half time and news would have quickly filtered out via those listening to Radio Leeds at the ground.

That's one thing that has changed in the last 20 years or so - for many years there would be  spectators dotted around RL grounds with small radios listening to Radio Leeds. Nowadays many fans (me included!) are staring at phones looking at Twitter or Flashscore for updates.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My somewhat shaky memories of the Workington game is that there was quite a subdued atmosphere considering the occasion. The game was a dead rubber and Fev were workmanlike for much of the contest even though winning comfortably in the end. I was trying to think why the atmosphere was a bit muted, but then I remembered it was the day that Leeds half-back Chris Sanderson tragically died within a few minutes of being carried off at Salford in the early minutes of the game. From memory it didn't take long for news to filter out - the Leeds game was abandoned before half time and news would have quickly filtered out via those listening to Radio Leeds at the ground.

That's one thing that has changed in the last 20 years or so - for many years there would be  spectators dotted around RL grounds with small radios listening to Radio Leeds. Nowadays many fans (me included!) are staring at phones looking at Twitter or Flashscore for updates.

Or waiting for the match announcer giving out the half time scores from other grounds, and a big cheer if Cas were losing!

On 11/06/2020 at 00:42, Andrew Vause said:

Gary Jordan was the unsung hero of that passage of play. Hardisty made the break and was obviously going to score but Gary Jordan made him earn it, and in doing so pushed Alan to touch down adjacent to the touchline.  Alan told me that years later during physio. 

Saw him do it. Clever play by Gary.. 

2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Or waiting for the match announcer giving out the half time scores from other grounds, and a big cheer if Cas were losing!

I wonder if anyone else remembers when this was but i can remember playing Warrington at home and being in control and a decent lead but they kept announcing other scores and it seemed to spur Warrington on (i think they needed Wigan to lose). Warrington did end up beating us but i can't remember when it was lol. 

On 11/06/2020 at 20:14, MADREDNIGE said:

April 16th 1977 Featherstone v Wigan . 

I've got a screenshot of the Grandstand edition. 

Screenshot_20200612_201703_com.android.chrome.jpg

I was 10 and always associated the game v Wigan as when Rovers won the championship. I would stand corrected as things get blurred as a young lad especially from 43 years ago. 

This game was  Saturday 16/4/77

Chris Sanderson died on  Sunday 24/4/77, the day after Leeds United had lost to Man Utd at Hillsborough in the FAC semi final. 

I'm presuming the Barrow game where Rovers clinched the league was either the Wednesday before the Wigan game or Wednesday after. 

I remember it being on Grandstand as I recall someone p***ing on Eddie Waring's car in the car park. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

I'm presuming the Barrow game where Rovers clinched the league was either the Wednesday before the Wigan game or Wednesday after.

The Wednesday after (20th April).

It's a very different game now, but it still boggles the mind that the Barrow game was our 8th in the space of 24 days. That included a period where we played Leeds on Sunday April 3rd, Widnes on Wednesday April 6th...then the Easter derbies v  Wakefield on Friday April 8th and Cas on Monday April 11th.

It's no wonder I thought Fev were "workmanlike" in the dead rubber v Workington...that was the 9th game in 28 days.

On 11/06/2020 at 00:00, Andrew Vause said:

Boxing day 1980. Rovers on  5-2 I think. Evans outpaced John Holmes , Neil Hague and Les Dyl. He promptly spewed up just after grounding the ball. Rovers were flying high after their return to top flight rugby only for the season to take a down turn with Rovers only narrowly avoiding relegation ultimately. 

AV That match remember it well  steve  was in our gang and we all used to go out on the lash all the time we had been to wakefield  the night before and he was a bit worse for wear  next day he's playing came to us before kick off behind sticks   said he was rough feeling sick headache  so we gave him a pint of tetleys downed it in one  seemed to perk him up but in the game he was having a mare  until the interception when he was sick in front of us next  to  the little wall and when i say sick every thing but kitchen sink came up stood up sweating heaps trainer came on  to sort him out later he got subbed official statement concussion unofficial statement loads of  tetleys Christmas day  one pint of tetleys boxing day we all  celebrated the win that night in junction 

• 3 months later...

On the 2nd October 1963 Rovers beat the Australian Touring side.

This was my first game I ever came to on the supporters bus from the Hope and Anchor, Pontefract.

Don't remember much of the match but was sufficiently interested to give it another go. Here we are some 50 odd years later still watching.

Thanks to the Late Sam Hey of the supporters in the Hope and Anchor for the introduction.

Paul Newlove’s try for Yorkshire versus Lancashire over in the Red Rose county. He ran the full length of the field on the diagonal beating three or four would be tacklers to start with and then racing away not to be caught. We were stood near the corner behind him when he started off.

There were so many fantastic tries we made a dvd of all his Rovers tries and sold a shed load of them.

How about this one with the classic soundtrack.

”Paul Newlove had an attack of the three p’s, power pace and perpetual motion.” Classic commentary. None better!

Archived