NRL plans to re-launch on 28 May

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see how this could work if players and officials are tested on the way in and then kept in a 'bubble' but how would the Sydney based players travelling to and from home work (as proposed) if there are still social restrictions in place.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I could see how this could work if players and officials are tested on the way in and then kept in a 'bubble' but how would the Sydney based players travelling to and from home work (as proposed) if there are still social restrictions in place.

Players, officials, the guy who marks the pitch, the people who wash the kits, all the camera and tech operators, the caterers ... it's going to be quite a big bubble.

Plus also see: how reliable are the tests ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Great news. I hope Superleague can do so as well soon. Like the NRL, I really think they need to just accept they have to run a shorter season, rather than cramming in games or playing until December. I know finances aren't great, but Superleague is in a great position to provide broadcasters with content they need, given only 2 games a week are shown. Would be pretty easy to just show 3 each week in a 22 game season from here - even if they have to provide the third tv game on another weeknight they could. With the NRL finishing on schedule an ashes series would be possible, so here's hoping England can make it work too!

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Players, officials, the guy who marks the pitch, the people who wash the kits, all the camera and tech operators, the caterers ... it's going to be quite a big bubble.

Plus also see: how reliable are the tests ...

Well it's either that or allowing players and all the rest to do all their jobs and then go back to their families every day.

Surely health and wellbeing of the general public supersedes the need to get a rugby competition back up and running. How can it possibly work with social restrictions still in place?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

How can it possibly work with social restrictions still in place?

It can't. It's simply the latest in a series of dumb ideas the NRL seems to have been putting out there as a way of avoiding reality.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Pulga said:

That’s some serious support when the government will help out as much as they can to get it started up again.

For me, the NRL is an opportunity as a state and nation to start the process of recovery. I can assure you that we want to work with the NRL. Government has a role here. I’ve had a conversation with the Premier that if the NRL can put forward its measures, its protocols, we will work with them to get through this season.”

This afternoon, I was watching a replay of a 2019 Abu Dhabi T10 cricket match. A bit of panem et circenses helps the long day go by. Rugby League, even in an empty stadium, would help scratch that itch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, del capo said:

This is a world wide epidemic. The black cloud has yet to hit Australia full on. Lock down and stay that way or lose thousands of lives....

Yes it is a world wide issue and fortunately Australia is doing a lot better than most which is why the Nrl with expert knowledge can consider restarting. I feel for the countries that have been hit hard by this.

5 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Yes it is a world wide issue and fortunately Australia is doing a lot better than most which is why the Nrl with expert knowledge can consider restarting. I feel for the countries that have been hit hard by this.

I think the issue is that we are not sure why Australia is doing better. Unfortunately, there are likely to be appealing ideas about Australians being special which might be dangerous.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

How exactly is the NRL going on in isolation putting the general public in danger?

You do understand that the competition would be going on in isolation and that once inside the camp none of the participants would have contact with anybody on the outside.

It is a gathering of at least thirty-four men in close physical contact, plus physios, officials etc.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a gathering of at least thirty-four men in close physical contact, plus physios, officials etc.

The cameramen are going to be thrilled at living in isolation for several months.

Still, as presumably wives and sex workers won't be allowed into the bubble, we may finally see a normalising of homosexual relations in men's rugby league.

Though hopefully not on the field.

Nine Blast NRL powerbrokers over lack of consultation opver restart

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-channel-nine-stunning-attack-mismanagement-015505242.html

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

13 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Nine Blast NRL powerbrokers over lack of consultation opver restart

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-channel-nine-stunning-attack-mismanagement-015505242.html

I strongly suspect that's a media company realising it has less cash than it would like and is flinging a dead cat on the table.

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

How exactly is the NRL going on in isolation putting the general public in danger?

You do understand that the competition would be going on in isolation and that once inside the camp none of the participants would have contact with anybody on the outside.

The article posted yesterday from the Sydney Morning Herald said the following.

"After high-level discussions between the NSW government and NRL powerbrokers, Sydney-based players will be allowed to remain at home when the competition resumes, which was well received by the RLPA, whose members were reluctant to undergo solitary confinement."

Has that been reversed and everyone in the comp will now be in isolation?

35 minutes ago, Taniwha Jacob said:

Wtf are you talking about?! You think a pandemic is a laughing matter? Shame on you 

Ah... no... returned troll... off you go. Plague somewhere else please.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived