RFL boosted by Sky payment

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Non-story, really. Normal payment as expected, as part of the deal.

But no games are being shown, games which are part of the deal. They could have easily withheld payment if they desired.

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Non-story, really. Normal payment as expected, as part of the deal.

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

But no games are being shown, games which are part of the deal. They could have easily withheld payment if they desired.

Unless we saw the contract and understood any provision of payment should the season be effected by influences beyond the control of both parties then both of these are just speculation.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

This will be a huge boost to clubs.
I would still think that clubs will need to furlough anyway because of the lack of gate money and sponsorship.

But let’s be pleased that the RFL will be giving the clubs their monthly or quarterly funding.

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If we don’t have a solution to how we are going to complete the season, I doubt Sky will make their next payment in 3 months time, why would they?

So they have a quality product to show the following season.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If we don’t have a solution to how we are going to complete the season, I doubt Sky will make their next payment in 3 months time, why would they?

It must be admitted that is the worry.

My question is this,can Sky refuse to pay the money if say there is still no rugby league in say 3 months time?

And I am also assuming that they pay the RFL quarterly as opposed to monthly?

I like the sound of this suggestion.........

A potential cancellation of the Ashes series could open the door for the Super League Grand Final to be relocated and played later in the year, with media reports suggesting plans have been drawn up for the Challenge Cup Final to be held at Old Trafford in October, the regular home of the Grand Final, with Tottenham Hotspur’s stadium, due to host the third Ashes Test, hosting the Grand Final instead in November.

Without seeing the contract signed between SKY and the RFL I wonder if someone was bright enough to insert a Force majeure clause as is often in the small print of many a contract for service

Force majeure clauses are contractual clauses which alter parties' obligations and/or liabilities under a contract when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond their control prevents one or all of them from fulfilling those obligations.

Nobody could have predicted COVID19 and it's impact on the sport on the planet. If a Force majeure clause is in the agreement then its very difficult for one party to wriggle out of it.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I like the sound of this suggestion.........

A potential cancellation of the Ashes series could open the door for the Super League Grand Final to be relocated and played later in the year, with media reports suggesting plans have been drawn up for the Challenge Cup Final to be held at Old Trafford in October, the regular home of the Grand Final, with Tottenham Hotspur’s stadium, due to host the third Ashes Test, hosting the Grand Final instead in November.

I was intending on going to the Ashes Test at Tottenham, but I'd happily go to the Grand Final there instead this year.

I've been wanting to go to a GF in Manchester anyway, so London is much easier for me to get to.

14 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

For once I agree with Robert Elstone here, meeting the requirements of the Super League Sky contract has to be priority number 1, clubs need that money to survive.

It sounds like magic weekend will be the first fixture to be scrapped, if the season isn’t to be completed in full. Reading between the lines I think the Challenge Cup will be scrapped, or at best become a mid-week competition.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For once I agree with Robert Elstone here, meeting the requirements of the Super League Sky contract has to be priority number 1, clubs need that money to survive.

All clubs need that money to survive, M'Lud. Mr Rimmer intimates it is the whole game not just SL, and being the Head of the RFL and Sky paying the money to the RFL and not SL he is quite right, nobody has even mentioned his take on P&R which I thought was quite refreshing:- 

The RFL board has the final say on promotion and relegation, and we should remember that people have invested in their teams in at attempt to be promoted. I think all options are open, but we go back to the three key streams we’re looking at when trying to map out how the season looks. Solvency is a factor in this, player welfare and the integrity of our competitions are the other two, and both promotion and relegation play into that.

“I have been lucky enough to chair, attend or present on a weekly basis to all clubs and the community board and it’s important we keep that dialogue going. We know that whatever happens, in the end, it will not be perfect, because there’s no way of producing a perfect season on the back of this.

“But I think by the sheer size of what’s going on around us, people understand there will be some imperfections and it won’t please everyone, because that’s impossible.”

Archived