Games (video, cards, board etc)

What indoor games are you playing to help pass the time?

Be good to get some recommendations going especially.

This can mean video/computer games, board games, card games etc.

———————-

I can recommend Exploding Kittens card game which is on sale at Tesco’s currently.

Also a free game with optional micro transactions called Dauntless which is cross platform on PC/PS4/Nintendo Switch which is all about hunting huge mythical monsters as a team and takes some planning.

In terms of board games, I’ve been playing Outer Rim which is set in the Star Wars universe and involves living the life of smugglers and bounty hunters like Han Solo, Boba Fett etc.  You can even play in a solitaire mode where AI card instructions are given to a dummy player who you can compete against.

What are your recommendations? 

Some relatively simple, but fun, games I often play.
Armagetron Advanced: This is an oldie, based on the Light Cycle scene from the Eighties movie 'Tron'. Basic graphics, but high-speed action - http://www.armagetronad.org/ 

The Royal Game of UR: the oldest known board game in history, this is a browser game that's like two-handed Ludo. Simple, but fun - https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php

Japanese Mahjong: another browser game, this is not the pair-matching game often passed off as Mahjong, but a decent version of the actual thing - https://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Stick Sports: this started off as a simple Cricket game, but has evolved, both in presentation and choice of sports. Games can sometimes restart after the first couple of deliveries, which is a little annoying. Watch out for the streaker! - https://www.sticksports.com/web-games/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is still my favourite board game, but not one you can play in isolation.

blogratraceboard.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Started The Saboteur on my old 360.

Have played through it a few times over the years and it remains an overlooked gem as far as I'm concerned.

Seems destined to be forever forgotten which is a shame.

It's set in occupied France and your 'job' is basically to liberate areas from the Nazis. All occupied areas are in black and white until you liberate them amd bring back the colour. Good game.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

On 06/04/2020 at 15:55, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've just been spending hours each day flying round the world on Microsoft flight simulator X. I'm currently in Yekaterinburg having flown there from Vilnius. Think I'm gonna head to Ulaan Bataar next. 

I've just about landed in Beijing. One of the worst landings I have ever done on this game (and I've done thousands), don't know what I did wrong or if the game just glitched but descending to the runway and for some reason the game just would not let me slow down so had a pretty brutal crash landing. I closed the game, restarted, took off from Beijing, flew a few miles, turned and landed again without any problem so I'm thinking it had glitched. Its really frustrating when you spend a few hours on a perfect flight and then it goes wrong in the last few seconds!

Anyway, when I've stopped swearing and tearing my feathers out its onto Tokyo tomorrow and then Midway, Honolulu and LA. I was going to go from Ulaan Bataar to Magadan and onto Anchorage to get into North America but figure the Pacific crossing is more interesting. And then across North America and the Atlantic and eventually back into Humberside to complete my latest trip around the world. ?

18 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Dobble is good, especially for family time

Scrabble is too, especially if solo isolating, you can practise your words

Backgammon & Chess

Good old Monopoly,

I have a couple of scrabble games on the Kindle Fire, including the official version. Adjusting the difficulty based on how mentally capable you feel is a good option to have.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I have a couple of scrabble games on the Kindle Fire, including the official version. Adjusting the difficulty based on how mentally capable you feel is a good option to have.

I downloaded Backgammon on mine

23 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've played the mobile game 'plague Inc.' a lot over the years. It's a strategy game where you have to engineer a virus and mutate it to annihilate the population of the Earth. Really good game! 

Popular in China is it?

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I play this quite a bit.

I also have over 100 board games..

A few years ago, we went to the V&A Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green to see an exhibition on board games. It was so good, we went back a few months later. It covered the history of board games, from early Roman games of chance, through games like Game of the Goose (some having the kind of quasi-religious moralising that Israel Folau would approve of: "You become a drunkard. Go back three places"), through The Landlord's Game (which eventually morphed into Monopoly) and onto contemporary board games, one of which was Pandemic (I think another was called Carcassonne, but I wouldn't swear to it; perhaps it involved wandering around a citadel and marvelling at how it was built in just the right configuration to hold a bunch of gift shops). I hadn't realised that there was such a thing as contemporary board games. Pandemic, though, seemed particularly innovative, since it appears the players co-operate rather than compete.

There was another game in the contemporary section which appeared to involve the players damaging the board in such a way that the game couldn't be played the same way again. Can't remember what that one was though.

32 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

A few years ago, we went to the V&A Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green to see an exhibition on board games. It was so good, we went back a few months later. It covered the history of board games, from early Roman games of chance, through games like Game of the Goose (some having the kind of quasi-religious moralising that Israel Folau would approve of: "You become a drunkard. Go back three places"), through The Landlord's Game (which eventually morphed into Monopoly) and onto contemporary board games, one of which was Pandemic (I think another was called Carcassonne, but I wouldn't swear to it; perhaps it involved wandering around a citadel and marvelling at how it was built in just the right configuration to hold a bunch of gift shops). I hadn't realised that there was such a thing as contemporary board games. Pandemic, though, seemed particularly innovative, since it appears the players co-operate rather than compete.

There was another game in the contemporary section which appeared to involve the players damaging the board in such a way that the game couldn't be played the same way again. Can't remember what that one was though.

Some friends of my sister used to run a games shop. It seems that Germany is where a lot of the new board games originate, and some of them are really imaginative.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is a good game to play solitaire if you have an interest in Star Wars.  The aim of the game is to race the other player (one of eight Star Wars characters) to 10 fame points.  Fame points and money are earned by doing various types of jobs around this part of the Star Wars galaxy including bounty hunting, delivering illegal cargo from planet to planet on your spaceship and winning battles/favour.  

Each character has different abilities (i.e. Han Solo can pilot his ship faster than anyone else) and the action is dictated by cards and the outcome is determined by dice.  The rulebooks are surprisingly thin for this type of game and it is generally easy to follow as all steps/actions are printed out in front of you.  In order to progress you visit new planets on the board and develop your character and get new missions by purchasing new gear/jobs/ships via a market at each planet.

The single player version of the game pits you against an artificial intelligence of one of four characters whose actions are prescribed on a series of cards.  As this is more of an exploring and character developing game than a combat game between players, it works very well as your opponent racks up regular fame points giving you a sense of urgency to race him until the finish.

I used to find even contemplating these kinds of serious board games quite intimidating to the point of not bothering.  However, I realise now that the mechanics of the games often borrow from familiar concepts in the likes of Risk, Monopoly, Cluedo and even Guess Who!  I picked up my copy for £40 which sounds a mega sum for a board game, but is probably on the cheaper end of the sliding scale for these types of things that I have read about.  A solitaire game takes about 2 hours to play.

7D4F8E8F-42DB-4F29-A99D-89E766480554.jpeg

63B7DE1D-70D7-4D35-B48A-BEDE4569AFD7.jpeg

Archived