Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

No Idea is a bad idea

So it's clear that things are a bit up in the air with the coronavirus and we have seen ideas from 3 games a week, 60minute games, truncated season, extended season etc that keep the game going

It's obvious that the season cant and wont operate how we thought it would, that the game will be desperate for money and time will be an issue. This season is bit of a write off and its integrity is pretty much already shot. 

Basically we have a bit of a free hit in terms of playing what is essentially a season (or part of one) where we can try things in a love environment which usually isnt available to us

So what are you wierd and wonderful ideas to try?

• Like 1

As NFL players haven’t been paid in full either and haven’t been training, I’d like to see Saints bring in Travis Kelce and Derrick Henry on loan to boost our squad numbers so we can play 3 games a week. This would also help them get match fitness ready for the NFL season - everyone’s a winner. 

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So it's clear that things are a bit up in the air with the coronavirus and we have seen ideas from 3 games a week, 60minute games, truncated season, extended season etc that keep the game going

It's obvious that the season cant and wont operate how we thought it would, that the game will be desperate for money and time will be an issue. This season is bit of a write off and its integrity is pretty much already shot. 

Basically we have a bit of a free hit in terms of playing what is essentially a season (or part of one) where we can try things in a love environment which usually isnt available to us

So what are you wierd and wonderful ideas to try?

As there isn't even yet a vaccine for the virus then It could well be almost a year until things return to normal (even if matches are played behind closed doors then could it be guaranteed that every player would want to risk playing while any restrictions are still in force and therefore might clubs have to field weakened teams ?)

Therefore I think it might be at least next March when RL recommences and we therefore just finish off the season from the same point as it was last month.

If before that time any RL is possible then perhaps friendly matches could be played, first of all to get players back to match-fitness but also to experiment with some of the proposed ideas. 

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

As there isn't even yet a vaccine for the virus then It could well be almost a year until things return to normal (even if matches are played behind closed doors then could it be guaranteed that every player would want to risk playing while any restrictions are still in force and therefore might clubs have to field weakened teams ?)

Therefore I think it might be at least next March when RL recommences and we therefore just finish off the season from the same point as it was last month.

If before that time any RL is possible then perhaps friendly matches could be played, first of all to get players back to match-fitness but also to experiment with some of the proposed ideas. 

If that is the case, there is a kind of midway option of doing that with the challenge cup. Perhaps a rejig to a group stage with the current 16 (bring hudds back in, or someone else to get the numbers up) would give us televised competitive fixtures (on terrestrial, hopefully more of them) when there isnt much sport on and serve as a sort of mini-preseason. 

There are bad ideas. Plenty of them, in fact. The game and it’s clubs are facing a financial crisis, now isn’t the time to be attempting things out of the ordinary. 

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There are bad ideas. Plenty of them, in fact. The game and it’s clubs are facing a financial crisis, now isn’t the time to be attempting things out of the ordinary. 

You're right. Doing the same thing as before while the world changes around you is a bad idea. Thank you for highlighting it and getting the one really bad idea out of the way 

9's is something thats been spoken about so many times without ever really being given the right amount of attention needed to take hold, so maybe short sided games is a way forward for this season. 50 or 60 minute games could fit nicely into a broadcast schedule and also get two games played per night, both televised. One after the other, at the same venue.

Would also mean a lower attrition on players, and with fewer players needed you could probably get two games in a week with squad rotation helping any players who might show signs of fatigue etc

Also, if the NRL gets the go ahead again, as has been mentioned, could SL send its players out to Australia to finish the season? playing in the same location as the NRL.

Could even get a couple of cross-comp games played maybe. WCC style.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

34 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You're right. Doing the same thing as before while the world changes around you is a bad idea. Thank you for highlighting it and getting the one really bad idea out of the way 

How many sports are changing their laws of the game pal? 

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

9's is something thats been spoken about so many times without ever really being given the right amount of attention needed to take hold, so maybe short sided games is a way forward for this season. 50 or 60 minute games could fit nicely into a broadcast schedule and also get two games played per night, both televised. One after the other, at the same venue.

Would also mean a lower attrition on players, and with fewer players needed you could probably get two games in a week with squad rotation helping any players who might show signs of fatigue etc

Also, if the NRL gets the go ahead again, as has been mentioned, could SL send its players out to Australia to finish the season? playing in the same location as the NRL.

Could even get a couple of cross-comp games played maybe. WCC style.

I've thought something similar re 9s, especially if the reserves gets the snip because of playing pressures.

60minute games with a 18min 9s at half time between the same games. Top 8 SL and top 4 championship and L1 9s teams in to an end of season 9s weekend for a win. 

I've long thought 6 or 7 cross-conference games would give us a proper worldwide comp and a lot more content to sell (the NRL is virtually worthless here and SL.worthless there despite there being an obvious RL market in both places)

Edited by scotchy1

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How many sports are changing their laws of the game pal? 

Major League Baseball are talking about it in the same way buddy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28953407/blue-jays-gm-openly-ponders-idea-seven-inning-doubleheaders%3fplatform=amp

The premier league is talking about fundamental changes to how games are staged https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2019-2020/football-news-premier-league-plans-world-cup-style-finish-to-season-reports_sto7715422/story-amp.shtml

As as shown above RU are talking about creating new competitions

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

No they’re not. A General Manager of a club has suggested it, that doesn’t mean the MLB are talking about it. It’s essentially the Baseball equivalent of Garry Hetherington’s idea about making players play Rugby League three times a week.

So, what you’re actually saying is, no sport is actively changing their laws of their game, some involved in those games have ideas about changing it, but as yet, no sport has actually had a serious discussion about changing these. 

Ideas about how sports go forward and, likely, temporary changes to structures are openly talked about, which is fair enough as all have tangible deadlines for things like contracts that cover a multitude of things. 

All sports, some clubs at differing levels within them, are staring into a financial abyss. Daft ideas about changing the laws for the game, which largely have only been brought on by this virus and was no way discussed prior to this, is the sort of knee-jerk reactions that everyone could do without. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No they’re not. A General Manager of a club has suggested it, that doesn’t mean the MLB are talking about it. It’s essentially the Baseball equivalent of Garry Hetherington’s idea about making players play Rugby League three times a week.

So, what you’re actually saying is, no sport is actively changing their laws of their game, some involved in those games have ideas about changing it, but as yet, no sport has actually had a serious discussion about changing these. 

Ideas about how sports go forward and, likely, temporary changes to structures are openly talked about, which is fair enough as all have tangible deadlines for things like contracts that cover a multitude of things. 

All sports, some clubs at differing levels within them, are staring into a financial abyss. Daft ideas about changing the laws for the game, which largely have only been brought on by this virus and was no way discussed prior to this, is the sort of knee-jerk reactions that everyone could do without. 

I think you have misunderstood pal. This is just a forum for fans. Its not a meeting of the RFL/SL executive committee. Its just for people to talk about it. If people suggest things here nobody signs a contract to implement it. 

You can just suggest things, like the MLB general manager did. Like Gary Hetherington did, like Brian Mac did. There is literally no harm that can come of it. You dont even have to contribute if you don't want. 

Stop worrying, its ok. Nothing cataclysmic because somebody shared an idea on this forum. Calm down. 

Edited by scotchy1
  • Haha 1

I think a shortened season is inevitable, in which case relegation may also be likely to be put on hiatus too - everything seems dependent on how long will be left in the year as the world cup cannot under any circumstances be compromised. 

If we're looking at late August for games getting back up to normal I'd look at dividing the league into 2 groups, with toronto and Catalans in either. Play your group home and away, simple top 2 from each group qualify for semis then a final. Including the challenge cup at Old Trafford and the Grand Final at spurs (assuming the ashes don't go ahead) gives breathing room for both comps. 10 group games, semis and a final plus the remnants of the challenge cup.

On the current table doing odds and evens would mean 1 group of:

Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield, Catalans, Wakefield and HKR

The other group being Cas, Warrington, Saints Hull, Salford and Toronto.

Thats about 3/4 months of a season.

Failing that I'm not opposed to having some form of 9s to fill in for a shortened season

IMHO I would go for 2 halves of 30 mins, or 4 quarters of 15 mins with teams staying on the pitch in the break. Also, go for first past the post as champion. if there is time run the Challenge Cup as a nines or sevens tournament and invite some guest teams.

Get this season done and dusted and start again next year.

Edited by Mark S

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think you have misunderstood pal. This is just a forum for fans. Its not a meeting of the RFL/SL executive committee. Its just for people to talk about it. If people suggest things here nobody signs a contract to implement it. 

You can just suggest things, like the MLB general manager did. Like Gary Hetherington did, like Brian Mac did. There is literally no harm that can come of it. You dont even have to contribute if you don't want. 

Stop worrying, its ok. Nothing cataclysmic because somebody shared an idea on this forum. Calm down. 

So you get your mad ideas pulled apart by common sense and then turn it into that? Okay. 

Now isn’t the time for crazy ideas about changing the laws of the game while we stare into a financial abyss. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So you get your mad ideas pulled apart by common sense and then turn it into that? Okay. 

Now isn’t the time for crazy ideas about changing the laws of the game while we stare into a financial abyss. 

I havent posted any ideas on this thread buddy.

It's for your own sake I say this. Please calm down. That others want to contribute their ideas really shouldn't bother you this much. It's not healthy. 

10 minutes ago, Mark S said:

IMHO I would go for 2 halves of 30 mins, or 4 quarters of 15 mins with teams staying on the pitch in the break. Also, go for first past the post as champion. if there is time run the Challenge Cup as a nines or sevens tournament and invite some guest teams.

Get this season done and dusted and start again next year.

The GF is a massive occasion. It would be a shame to lose it.

We could cut off a few weeks by going straight to the GF

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I havent posted any ideas on this thread buddy.

It's for your own sake I say this. Please calm down. That others want to contribute their ideas really shouldn't bother you this much. It's not healthy. 

I’m calm. I find your posts hilarious. You dig yourself into a hole everyday and have done so again. You keep diggin’. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m calm. I find your posts hilarious. You dig yourself into a hole everyday and have done so again. You keep diggin’. 

Glad we got that sorted can we all move on now?

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Now we’ve established that some ideas are bad ideas, crack on. 

You have certainly proven that, though I fear not  in the way you intended.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

If that is the case, there is a kind of midway option of doing that with the challenge cup. Perhaps a rejig to a group stage with the current 16 (bring hudds back in, or someone else to get the numbers up) would give us televised competitive fixtures (on terrestrial, hopefully more of them) when there isnt much sport on and serve as a sort of mini-preseason. 

The only problem with a "serious" competition would be if any players were still wary of wanting to play while restrictions still applied. At least with friendlies it would not matter that much.  ... or perhaps start back with a "mid-season" trophy just to give players a chance to get match fit again and just involve those who are happy to play and to fill the gap until the proper season restarts next March.

6 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The only problem with a "serious" competition would be if any players were still wary of wanting to play while restrictions still applied. At least with friendlies it would not matter that much.  ... or perhaps start back with a "mid-season" trophy just to give players a chance to get match fit again and just involve those who are happy to play and to fill the gap until the proper season restarts next March.

Possibly but I think we would have to just allow those players who didnt want to play, not to play

I think there may have been a national bed-shi*tting. The objective is to avoid NHS meltdown yet they are coping and we may already have passed the peak. 

Just get them back playing ASAP with a shortened season, ie no loop fixtures. No gimmicks. 

• Confused 1