Good Friday derbies

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Yes they were good games with Wakefield too. I remember us losing a few on New Year's Day at Belle Vue, muddy and under the lights. We used to go in the Graziers pre match.

My first New Year’s Day game was in a snowstorm and in the second half the shadowy figure of David Smith appeared out of the gloom having taken an interception (that none of us could see) to score the match winning try...

16 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

We used to go in the Graziers pre match.

The land that the Graziers occupied is now flats I think, rather sadly. I seem to remember the pub sign still being there for a while after the pub was demolished and the new building completed.

On the subject of Easter derbies, for the shortest time from complete devastation to utter euphoria, about 20 minutes or so, you can't beat this game....

And this particular Hull derby went down in history as regards crowd chants and songs.

Come on then, which of you lot with no ties to ether Hull club can be the first to work out why?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

The land that the Graziers occupied is now flats I think, rather sadly. I seem to remember the pub sign still being there for a while after the pub was demolished and the new building completed.

On the subject of Easter derbies, for the shortest time from complete devastation to utter euphoria, about 20 minutes or so, you can't beat this game....

And this particular Hull derby went down in history as regards crowd chants and songs.

Come on then, which of you lot with no ties to ether Hull club can be the first to work out why?

No, can't work that one out.

I've been looking over old Super League Easter results for a blog I've been writing. Couple of things I didn't remember. Turns out Bradford didn't play Leeds over Easter until 2003 (apart from one year) and the Hull derby was for one year on Easter Monday.

Maybe the idea was to split the fixtures with Bradford / Leeds and Saints / Wigan over the Good Friday weekend and the Hull derby on the Monday?

It did bring back some great memories though, we haven't half had some brilliant Easter memories. Think I'll certainly appreciate Easter more next year after missing this one. It'll be interesting to see the matches spread over the whole weekend rather than two rounds in 2021!

Archived