Match commentators

jamescolin

As we have no current RL I have been watching past games on TV. One game in particular irritated me intensely. Leeds v Bradford. The people who should have been commentating went on and on about other items such as past players experience, coaches, injuries, etc etc. All during this garble the match was going on without any commentary. I know that this was the past but we still get it now .  Not quite as bad but still badly organised. When the season starts again could we please have ongoing commentary with interjections and discussions only when play is stopped or at half and full time. When the game is being played lets just have commentary. 

13 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

John Hill was the gold standard.

Recently, Vausey's brief tenure had me in tuks ??

I liked Vausey's commentary too. Miss seeing him at games and his cultured comments on here.

Vausey where are you????

Some very forgiving comments about Murphy here! He couldn't see Hull being beaten before the game, he still couldn't see them being beaten when we led 5-0 at half time, and he predicted the floodgates would open when they scored their second try.

Yes he wasn't a bad analyst to be fair, but as a Fev fan it's hard to forget that "tackle" on Dave Hartley in the opening minutes of the 1974 final - if ever one moment ruined a final that was it.

in 83  half time him fielding and coleman taking about tex and topliss going at it

fielding said it was nothing just ###### for tat which murphy replied aye but topliss got more ###### than tat

11 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Never saw Murphy play. They say he was great, but also a cheat and a con-man. That tackle on Hartley was dreadful.

He was a terrible commentator. Him and French used to talk rubbish. Just as bad as Eddie and stevo.

If there's one thing I've learned from a lifetime of watching sport, it's that there is very little correlation between how good someone was at sport and how good they are at commentating on or analysing that sport.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If there's one thing I've learned from a lifetime of watching sport, it's that there is very little correlation between how good someone was at sport and how good they are at commentating on or analysing that sport.

Different qualities as you said. A good player doesn't make a good commentator.

At the time I was never a fan of Ray French - I thought the game needed someone younger but looking back he had a way with words like all the greats ..Bill McLaren, Dan Maskill, Peter Alliss, Ritchie Benaud etc. 

Murphy however was a clown -  he might have thrown in the odd catchphrase but his lack of preparation and ability to get players names wrong was unparalleled.  Although now we have Dave Woods.... Come back Eddie Waring all is forgiven.

Yes it is very irritating when they are talking about anything than the game which is going on and then 'Oh there goes xxxxx and he scores for xxxx'  . No commentary on the build up to the try. Rubbish!!

Archived