Rugby League an attractive proposition to USA investors.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Silly there i was thinking that the NRL stood for the National Rugby League

Haha I didn’t make my point well enough. It’s great they’re investing in ‘rugby league’ but I’d hoped it would be an investment on their own shores.

4 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Haha I didn’t make my point well enough. It’s great they’re investing in ‘rugby league’ but I’d hoped it would be an investment on their own shores.

Realistically the idea that they'd go all the way to Australia to invest in sports rather than bid up the value of North American pro sports franchises instead is fanciful.  If on the other hand they could invest in a new transatlantic intercontinental and multinational northern hemisphere-based RL equivalent of Super Rugby and Pro14, they might find that opportunity of great interest.

4 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Whilst I take your point its not really any different than all the multi billionaire\millionaire foreign  owners in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Realistically the idea that they'd go all the way to Australia to invest in sports rather than bid up the value of North American pro sports franchises instead is fanciful.  

Why do so many Americans invest in European football then? 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why do so many Americans invest in European football then? 

Do they indeed?  How many of them and which franchises have they bought/invested in?

One reason would be that soccer (I presume that's the brand of football you meant?) is a world wide game, another would be that Europe is only three time zones further from the east coast than California is so it's not really that far for them to go.  It could also be that the particular investors have heritage ties to the countries where those investments were made.

Those things would not apply in the case of Australian RL.

There's a guy in the States right now who's trying to start the NRFL - the National Rugby Football League.

But it's going to be a rival to Major League Rugby, not a rugby league, league. Guy doesn't even seem to notice how confusing this is.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

There's a guy in the States right now who's trying to start the NRFL - the National Rugby Football League.

But it's going to be a rival to Major League Rugby, not a rugby league, league. Guy doesn't even seem to notice how confusing this is.

Is this the same thing...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_Football_League

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Do they indeed?  How many of them and which franchises have they bought/invested in?

One reason would be that soccer (I presume that's the brand of football you meant?) is a world wide game, another would be that Europe is only three time zones further from the east coast than California is so it's not really that far for them to go.  It could also be that the particular investors have heritage ties to the countries where those investments were made.

Franchises?

Ok thanks you’ve explained your comment now, which has changed immeasurably from the original. 

For the record though the biggest three football clubs in England are American owned, and there are many more around Europe. 

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Quite a few wealthy Americans who are based in the US have bought, either outright, or a stake in, Australian professional basketball teams. Basketball has a lower profile than soccer in Australia yet the investment is coming.

10 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

That's it. But if you go to the actual NRFL website you'll see it has a 2020 copyright date which tells me this Clements guy is giving it another try.

Why is the question.

The article I read was on Forbes.com but I can't post links from my phone.

This was on a major TV network news broadcast last night and they had some chap from a sports investment company taking about how there had been interest in the Australian sporting scene..

22 hours ago, Copa said:

This was on a major TV network news broadcast last night and they had some chap from a sports investment company taking about how there had been interest in the Australian sporting scene..

Doesn't cost a lot by North American terms. Consider that any NFL team is at least a $1billion investment. Plus another billion for a stadium.

Addendum: Forbes just released their valuations of MLB teams. Blue Jays are in the middle of the pack at a little over $1.5 b. The average baseball team is worth a bit under $1.9 b. Only one - Miami - is valued at less than a billion dollars. The most valuable? NY Yankees of course, at $5.5 b.

This is why North American sports will ride out the Covid-storm with just maybe a handful of weak sisters going under while the richest might go looking for new acquisitions around the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived