Greatest Players - top three stand offs

Wakefield Ram

6 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Rumour has it he used to sit in the dugout until we got the ball back. Here's a poser for those with good memories. I am sure that in the mid eighties, we got a Kiwi stand off from Doncaster called Vincent - anybody remember him, and who were the other players in that team - think we had a decent season that year. Other decent stand off's were Davide Longo, who was a talented lad, and the young French lad Barthau, who I think played both halfback positions.

I think Andy Vincent is the name. Didn’t know he was a New Zealander. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

9 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think Andy Vincent is the name. Didn’t know he was a New Zealander. 

Andy Vincent was a junior Kiwi in 1985 and 86 and went on to have a good career in New Zealand, all he needed was one game with us to point him in the right direction. 

49 minutes ago, Ramboy said:

Andy Vincent was a junior Kiwi in 1985 and 86 and went on to have a good career in New Zealand, all he needed was one game with us to point him in the right direction. 

I honestly thought he had a fair few games, but I do remember really rating him. If that was only on one game, he must have been good.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

After much thought I've finally made my decision. 

1. Paul Sykes ( without him I think we would now be in championship 1 )

2. Jonny Wolford ( I was too young to see him hiding from tackles )

3. Allan Agar ( After watching the re-run of the championship final in 1973 you can see just how good he was )

Big shout outs to Richard Agar, Chris Vasey , Francis Maloney and even if he only played a handful of games Brett Seymour was class.

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

In no particular order Paul Sykes, Francis Maloney and Brett Patterson.

Think Frankie might have been our classiest stand off in my time, with those wide passes and ability to put people in the gap. Top bloke too. If I remember correctly, he allegedly left the club because Ryan Sheridan had issues with him.  TBH I'd rather of had Sheridan go through the door.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

Think Frankie might have been our classiest stand off in my time, with those wide passes and ability to put people in the gap. Top bloke too. 

Can’t disagree.   

On 10/04/2020 at 19:18, NickD said:

Im going;

Francis Maloney

Richard Agar

Paul Shuttleworth

No particular order

Honourable mention for Paul Sykes

In order for WR.  
1.  Francis Maloney

2. Paul Shuttleworth

3. Richard Agar