Pontefract and Castleford Express

jamescolin

I today bought the P & C Express as I usually do. To my surprise there were two pages on Castleford  Tigers. One on Blair's comments and one about their doctor. I turned pages over and looked twice but couldn't find a word about Featherstone Rovers. Surely we could have a column about our team or a player and the way the supporters are rallying? OK we are a championship side but to be excluded completely is annoying. I am tempted to not buy it any more. 

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

I today bought the P & C Express as I usually do. To my surprise there were two pages on Castleford  Tigers. One on Blair's comments and one about their doctor. I turned pages over and looked twice but couldn't find a word about Featherstone Rovers. Surely we could have a column about our team or a player and the way the supporters are rallying? OK we are a championship side but to be excluded completely is annoying. I am tempted to not buy it any more. 

We've just put more or less all our staff on leave. Assuming that also includes the press officer, there won't be anything in any paper about us. Who do you think rights the articles for local press nowadays? Johnstone press employ hardly any journalists anymore.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Johnstone Press don't even send a reporter to the games anymore. After Martin Hawksworth retired they used to send Ben Mckenna from the Yorkshire Post (same group as Pont & Cas), but they've pulled him now and I think they do the reports off whatever they can glean off social media? I've offered to send them a report after I've submitted League Express & League Weekly but they don't seem interested? 

25 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I assume you mean 'writes' . So Cas' can do it but we can't?   Also amateur clubs have reports about them.  Does your statement add up on that basis?

Yes. If no one sends the anything, they won't print anything. Does matter whether it's Cas, Rovers, amateur or tiddlywinks. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

43 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Johnstone Press don't even send a reporter to the games anymore. After Martin Hawksworth retired they used to send Ben Mckenna from the Yorkshire Post (same group as Pont & Cas), but they've pulled him now and I think they do the reports off whatever they can glean off social media? I've offered to send them a report after I've submitted League Express & League Weekly but they don't seem interested? 

That explains a lot Steve. It would be interesting where the actual reports come from. Social media? Seems as though some reports come from the source of the various games. From your comments it seems that as far as the Rovers are concerned actual reporting  is  very meagre. It seems the previous comments about the paper have some basis.   

11 hours ago, jamescolin said:

That explains a lot Steve. It would be interesting where the actual reports come from. Social media? Seems as though some reports come from the source of the various games. From your comments it seems that as far as the Rovers are concerned actual reporting  is  very meagre. It seems the previous comments about the paper have some basis.   

Printed newspapers are a dying breed Colin, hardly anyone buys them anymore. My brother-in-law was the editor of the local group of Johnston Press weeklies, including Wakey & Pont & Cas, until a couple of years ago and used to tell me about the cost cutting which is getting worse year on year. He was offered an early retirement package too good to turn down and there's hardly anyone left. As far as sport goes nowadays it's Super League and Leeds United, cater for the masses and sod the rest.

8 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Printed newspapers are a dying breed Colin, hardly anyone buys them anymore. My brother-in-law was the editor of the local group of Johnston Press weeklies, including Wakey & Pont & Cas, until a couple of years ago and used to tell me about the cost cutting which is getting worse year on year. He was offered an early retirement package too good to turn down and there's hardly anyone left. As far as sport goes nowadays it's Super League and Leeds United, cater for the masses and sod the rest.

I take on board what you say Steve. Having looked at the overall situation it is probably right what you say. The two pages are written by Ben McKenna and David Craven. Both well known RL names. But not a words for us. 

6 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

The club has to feed the media outlets with news, there's probably zero news.

Spent many years as a local reporter for my local paper. Resulting articles contained many misprints and any thing slightly controversial was overlooked. Needless to say, packed the UNPAID job in.

5 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

The club has to feed the media outlets with news, there's probably zero news.

Looking at the paper the articles are by Craven and McKenna. The comments are by Castleford players and ex players. Therefore they have been approached. Liam Watts comments on 'Loop Games' (Ben McKenna), a Staff reporter comments on Keith Mason, and Dave Craven writes about Kevin Ward. Three pages on RL and Castleford involved on every page. This is obviously organised and the people concerned have been approached. My argument is that although there is nothing to comment on that is new, the past is being brought up and we are excluded. I think the evidence is fairly conclusive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived