Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

Should we be hearing more?

Recommended Posts

Listened to Sky's Golden Point Podcast (available wherever you search) with Luke Dorn and one of the points raised in the show was how we've not been hearing much from SL or the RFL in an official capacity. 

It was pointed out that the NRL were running daily briefings (I don't know if thats true) and that they have been much clearer regarding what they want the rest of the year to look like regarding RL. Indeed we now have the 28th of May as a date they are working towards with 4 venues being investigated. By comparison it was said that we've had 2 announcements centrally, one announcing the delay till April and one announcing the indefinite delay. One of the suggestions was therefore that we should have more communications.

My initial response was that we don't need anything like constant updates, but that clarity as to what is being looked at and investigated as options would be nice; especially as this suspension of the season carries on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

My initial thoughts on reading this was, do we need announcements about nothing happening? 

I agree to an extent and that was in part my response to the comments made in the show. That said there are clearly there are discussions taking place and as major stakeholders surely fans should at least be aware of what is being considered, beyond just chairmen in local papers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the RFL is privy to background conversations regarding how/when sport will be resumed.

But the government is on full-on ‘stay at home or everyone will die’ propaganda mode, so it’s unlikely we’ll hear about it yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think all sports would be better off just saying we wont be restarting indefinitely , unless you have a very reliable crystal ball it`s pointless trying to second guess when things will get back to anything like normal .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Think all sports would be better off just saying we wont be restarting indefinitely , unless you have a very reliable crystal ball it`s pointless trying to second guess when things will get back to anything like normal .

Thats fair enough, but German Football clubs have gone back to train, the NRL are gearing up for a return in May, Belgian football have finished their season completely and F1 have announced a huge swathe of their season cancelled or postponed indefinitely. After nearly a month of suspension do you not think we should be hearing something soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats fair enough, but German Football clubs have gone back to train, the NRL are gearing up for a return in May, Belgian football have finished their season completely and F1 have announced a huge swathe of their season cancelled or postponed indefinitely. After nearly a month of suspension do you not think we should be hearing something soon?

This is when economics takes precedence over the lives of people. Germany and Belgium are in the top 10 for infection rates.  That is the same attitude that has contributed most significantly to the scale of the  problem.

Edited by dhw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should be making contingency plans based on a number of scenarios.  I am sure* they must be.

 

 

*Not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it's said no news is good news in this case it probably means 'we literally have nothing to say because we have no idea what's coming next'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dhw said:

This is when economics takes precedence over the lives of people. Germany and Belgium are in the top 10 for infection rates.  That is the same attitude that has contributed most significantly to the scale of the  problem.

To be fair the Beligians shut down their league and awarded the winners the trophy and didn't relegate anyone. The Germans, by their very nature (I was there when social distancing was introduced), will be following the rules and testing procedures.

What this thread is intended to be about however is whether we've heard enough from SL and the RFL about what they are considering beyond "nothings off the table".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that the RL fanbase is incredibly negative and against trying new things and undoubtedly this will be necessary.

The game should be trying to keep people engaged and excited but it cant because while things have to change it's almost a personal insult to some that it does.

What worries me is the constant talk of government help. I just  cant see there being large amount of funds being made available. If there are they will likely be loans and clubs who cant wash their face now wont be able to with a loan on top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with most of the above, anything the RFL or SL say will be just speculation as nobody knows how long will go on, so it’s pointless them doing so. NRL is different because they have a plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you read the reports out of Aus the NRL are not covering themselves in glory with either the Government or broadcasters.

May 28th is very much an aspiration not a done deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not another one , for Christ's sake , there are thousands dying of this , who gives a toss about sport ?

You've come on a forum not just dedicated to sport, but a fairly small sport, to say that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommygilf said:

You've come on a forum not just dedicated to sport, but a fairly small sport, to say that?

Yes , because the reply you are seeking is 

" No change " hth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , because the reply you are seeking is 

" No change " hth

I think you need to chill out a bit mate. That very may well be the stance of the clubs and the league now but it is also very possible, indeed likely that it is not. Some central communication may be desirable if only to provide clarity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think you need to chill out a bit mate. That very may well be the stance of the clubs and the league now but it is also very possible, indeed likely that it is not. Some central communication may be desirable if only to provide clarity. 

Just asked Ralph , he said to tell you " no change " 👍

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

But the government is on full-on ‘stay at home or everyone will die’ propaganda mode, so it’s unlikely we’ll hear about it yet.

Elsewhere, it's been patiently explained that the NHS is running about 1/3 over the capacity it had before the virus hit, and we're seeing nudging 1,000 deaths a day *in excess of those that would have occurred otherwise*.

We're not getting any sport in this country for months.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are thousands dying every day, do we need to cure all diseases before we talk about sport again?

What on earth did you think people would be talking about on an RL.forum?

What possible positive outcome could you possible expect by coming on an RL forum and telling people not to talk about RL?

Are any of us secretly world leading immunologists with a cure sat waiting for us? Is there a chance that the next Jonas Salk is sat talking about the travails of Toronto Wolfpack instead of creating a vaccine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Elsewhere, it's been patiently explained that the NHS is running about 1/3 over the capacity it had before the virus hit, and we're seeing nudging 1,000 deaths a day *in excess of those that would have occurred otherwise*.

We're not getting any sport in this country for months.

Ah but how many months? June would mark three months of lockdown. Lot to play out until then, Jon

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

Ah but how many months? June would mark three months of lockdown. Lot to play out until then, Jon

Were not playing in june mate. Maybe the very end of june in front of closed doors. September/october before there will be crowds.of any size imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingerjon said:

Elsewhere, it's been patiently explained that the NHS is running about 1/3 over the capacity it had before the virus hit, and we're seeing nudging 1,000 deaths a day *in excess of those that would have occurred otherwise*.

We're not getting any sport in this country for months.

Let's just imagine a scenario , we play a game in June , a 10,000 crowd , 1 person infects 5 people on the bus to the game , those 5 then each infect 5 each in the various bars pre game , each of those then infects 5 each during the game , each of those Infects another 5 on the way home after calling for a beer 

Then after those have all spent a week living their normal lives before anybody shows any symptoms 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Were not playing in june mate. Maybe the very end of june in front of closed doors. September/october before there will be crowds.of any size imo

There will be sport by June. Look what’s happening with the PL and EPL. You don’t need to be Prof Whitty to see the government will allow fit and healthy young men to play pro sport by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

There will be sport by June. Look what’s happening with the PL and EPL. You don’t need to be Prof Whitty to see the government will allow fit and healthy young men to play pro sport by then.

Not in front of any crowds. And early June is unlikely.

Its not going to peak for another two weeks now apparently so a week later than expected. The entire point was to flatten  the peak so its going to be longer so you are looking at may before a downturn even starts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...