The great scrum infringement "clampdown" of (I think) the late 1970s

Does anyone remember this? I think it was late 1970s but may have been very early 1980s. A new instruction for referees to clamp down on scrum infingements was brought in.

I can't remember the exact details, but it was something like if you committed three scrum infringements, the offending player was sent off. Not sin binned - that hadn't been introduced yet - but outright sent from the field.

There was a flurry of these events; there may have been a few scrum halves dismissed for "feeding", but what I remember is the number of high-profile hookers, many of whom had spotless disciplinary records, suddenly being sent off for "feet up"/striking too early, often to the absolute bemusement of the crowd (and the players themselves).

Matters weren't solved if the hooker was substituted after two offences, as his replacement was dismissed if he committed one further offence.

From memory after a short period with this significant number of dismissals, the project was quietly shelved. But maybe it lasted a whole season, I'm not sure. Anyone else got any memories of this not very glorious period?

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I remember the scrum clampdown.  I am sure it was around the late 1970’s early 1980’s as  I recall watching the Cas hooker Bob Spurr and his opponent in a couple games trudging towards the side line after a string of scrum offences.

Yep - Bob Spurr a good example of a hooker who was rarely sanctioned by referees other than for technical offences but got his marching orders during the clampdown. Seem to remember Ray Handscombe may have been another.

16 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep - Bob Spurr a good example of a hooker who was rarely sanctioned by referees other than for technical offences but got his marching orders during the clampdown. Seem to remember Ray Handscombe may have been another.

Remember watching Bob Spurr from when he started playing for Cas.  Even on a dry track he always looked as though he had been dragged through an hedge backwards .... twice!

So imagine my shock and surprise when on my first day at work as a 16 year old at Wakefield MDC when I walked down the corridor and Bob walked towards me with a black eye and dressed in a  three piece suit and tie.  He worked in the Finance Department as an accountant.

It was in the early 80's and lasted about six weeks before it became farcical. Whether it would have succeeded if the RFL had kept their nerve, against a torrent of complaints from clubs and coaches, is open to conjecture. The interpretation of who was the guilty party at any one time was as arbitrary as the scrums were, only to be eliminated by the removal of contested scrummaging.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 11/04/2020 at 14:08, Blind side johnny said:

The interpretation of who was the guilty party at any one time was as arbitrary as the scrums were, only to be eliminated by the removal of contested scrummaging.

Yep, there are a lot of sepia-tinted memories of the "golden age" of contested scrums, but for many years before the amendments they were an absolute mess and you may as well have tossed a coin to see who gained possession.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a bit like getting sent off and an 8 match ban for tripping. Now it appears to be a sin binning offence.

Yes, the rule was actually changed a few years ago but many fans at matches that I go to still seem to be unaware of this.

Now, what about voluntary tackles?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, the rule was actually changed a few years ago but many fans at matches that I go to still seem to be unaware of this.

Now, what about voluntary tackles?

I've been watching since 1966, I've only seen one given at a match I was actually at in all that time. It was a bit harsh really, our winger had to turn and chase a loose ball that had been kicked along the ground behind him. He dropped on it in front of three on rushing opponents. Then he was only a bit slow to get to his feet and get flattened, I can't say as I blame  him to be honest.

I can't remember  where it was now apart from it was in Yorkshire, so no real surprises that it was given.

Nothing like the one that wasn't given at the end of that final years ago. Now that was a voluntary tackle in my book.

Archived