Comparing the game to the early 2000s

RSN

Just watching Wigan v Saints 2003 on Sky at the moment. 

They've probably picked the most exciting game possible to put on TV, but how do people think the game comes across on the TV at the moment compared to back then? 

For me personally, the crowd seems much louder, the play is more exciting, the commentary is much louder and exciting and it came across as a bigger occasion. 

The game was a thriller to be fair so probably harsh comparing games to that. But do you think Sky have changed the way the game is presented over the past few years? Rather than going for a loud excitable product they've tried making it more professional? 

Was just interesting comparing. I don't remember the game itself at all so it was like watching it live for me. I think pre game and post game analysis we are absolutely miles ahead compared to back then but I think the product does come across completely different to how it was. 

Eddie and Stevo seemed a bit more excited. It was telling to me that in the 2015? Good Friday derby they showed highlights of it seemed like the commentators were just a bit less enthusiastic for me. I do also think that what we had a bit of a loss of purpose and identity for a time which is reflected in the presentation of the game.

I’ve also noticed from the 2004 Derby the referee seems quieter. I’m not sure if Karl Kirkpatrick was quieter by nature, the crowd was louder or the mic was quieter because now we have to put up with “MOOOOOOOOOOOVVVEEE” from Thaler and Hicks screaming a players name for about ten seconds where they’re not listening to him. 

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Eddie and Stevo seemed a bit more excited. It was telling to me that in the 2015? Good Friday derby they showed highlights of it seemed like the commentators were just a bit less enthusiastic for me. I do also think that what we had a bit of a loss of purpose and identity for a time which is reflected in the presentation of the game.

Just watched the same one and I agree. Sky must be lowering the volume of the crowd I reckon aswell Eddie Hemmings referenced they couldn't hear eachother speak yet the crowd seemed significantly quieter compared to the earlier game. 

I don’t think the game was any more exciting than a top game now. And whilst Stevo was bad, the commentary is even worse now. 

A couple of things I noticed though - the game was far less structured and free flowing back then. Far more wrestle now. And I think the refereeing has improved too!

1 hour ago, RSN said:

They've probably picked the most exciting game possible to put on TV, but how do people think the game comes across on the TV at the moment compared to back then? 

For me personally, the crowd seems much louder, the play is more exciting, the commentary is much louder and exciting and it came across as a bigger occasion. 

The game was a thriller to be fair so probably harsh comparing games to that. But do you think Sky have changed the way the game is presented over the past few years? Rather than going for a loud excitable product they've tried making it more professional? 

Was just interesting comparing. I don't remember the game itself at all so it was like watching it live for me. I think pre game and post game analysis we are absolutely miles ahead compared to back then but I think the product does come across completely different to how it was. 

Yeah it all seemed more of an occasion. I always think crowds look bigger in those games. Personally when I think of SL I think of the early to mid 2000s as being the golden era of it

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Just looked at the table for 2003, I totally forgot Halifax had only won one game all year, when relegated. I seem to remember them getting fairly close to a Grand Final in the early days of Super League, though I might be confused. 

They got to the playoffs in 98 I think

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t think the game was any more exciting than a top game now. And whilst Stevo was bad, the commentary is even worse now. 

A couple of things I noticed though - the game was far less structured and free flowing back then. Far more wrestle now. And I think the refereeing has improved too!

I’ve watch a SoO today 2002 I think and the wrestle and trapping of the arms, legs etc was quite prevalent then - includes a younger Cameron Smith practicing his ‘art’.  IMO, that level of wrestle was enough.  These days is creating a boring spectacle.

Commentary was Ray Warren, Peter Sterling and Voss - absolutely superb.  If we aren’t doing much during this virus crisis we have to identify a commentary team who can light up the game as it happens.  Those we’ve got doing it now are not up to it.

I could be imagining this, but seem to recall Sky having a microphone outside the commentary box that picked up the crowd noise and that was then merged into the commentary.

We also now have Bill Arthur doing match commentary and he is rather "beige".

11 hours ago, RSN said:

I think playing games on Thursday and Friday nights has had an effect on the way the game comes across on TV.

The one noticeable difference in the 2003 Saints Wigan game was the speed of the play the ball. All the wrestling and laying on just slows the game down. But Sky picked that game because it was a cracker, not sure all the games were as fast and open.

16 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

They got to the playoffs in 98 I think

One of the original big clubs, that were not planned to merge in 1994.

I remember Huddersfield vs Salford (I think) again back in 1999 as eighty minutes that I will never get back.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived