When will Rugby League return?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You think fans won't have an emotional connection to their club because they are unable to watch them for a year ?

What I mean is I think if they can't see them in person or on TV for a year then some will fall out of the habit of going. Out of sight, out of mind, as it were. Do you think it will make no difference?    

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Toby Chopra said:

What I mean is I think if they can't see them in person or on TV for a year then some will fall out of the habit of going. Out of sight, out of mind, as it were. Do you think it will make no difference?    

We've lost the habit of doing anything except buying toilet roll and beer ?

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

My emotional attachment is to the club , mostly the other fans , the name ,the stadium , then the players and the owners and staff , basically in that order 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

My emotional attachment is to the club , mostly the other fans , the name ,the stadium , then the players and the owners and staff , basically in that order 

Fingers crossed everyone feels like you then. You may well be right, indeed I suspect the RL fan base does have some characteristics - small, but local and loyal - that may help it through a long shutdown compared to other sports.

But it would be complacent for any sport - or pub, restaurant, cafe or whatever - to just assume the people who were there before will all come back after a year or more away. So anything that can be done to keep the flame alive is worth thinking about.      

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And for the reasons I’ve stated above, 850 deaths in one day, it’s utterly pointless discussing it. It’s not going to be for a while and it shouldn’t. 

So why do you keep posting on the subject?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

At the risk of being labelled a typically tight-fisted Yorkshireman, I feel I must raise a note of caution about these notions of putting games behind a paywall.

The fact is that most of the existing fan base has already paid for these games, in the expectation of being able to watch the games live.

So, are we now to be expected to pay again to watch something we already paid for, but only on TV?

Your not expected to do anything, its a proposed option that gives you the choice. Season ticket holders get all there teams home games without having to pay extra. Sky sports subscription holders still get there couple games a week without having to pay extra.

If a season ticket holder decided they wernt happy that they were having to watch games on stream that they paid for to actually attend, you would hope they would be entitled to a refund, but i havnt seen anything on that yet.

If as has been suggested, championship and league one clubs arnt included in the live ppv, then it dosnt really change things from where we are now for fans of them clubs...Apart from say, if you wanted to watch Leeds get a hiding off someone, you could choose to pay for that game and select the money you'v payed to go to Bradford. If championship and league one clubs arnt included in the live ppv then again you'd hope season ticket holders would get there refund as they wouldnt even have the option of watching there teams live in any form. I really hope These leagues are included, Fev vs Leigh was one of the most enjoyable games i watched last season and after Leeds games, id probably pay to watch more championship than superleague.

Even after the Government relaxes things to a degree where its possible and even if SKY give it there blessing, therl still be Lots of problems and kinks to iron out for this to become reality, but its a desperate swing in desperate times for the clubs.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

108000 total cases and 14500 deaths is around 13%.  These are hospital deaths alone.

Total recovered - N/A

Probability is between 0.5 and 1% of those contracting it.

Absolute nonsense. Many people have contracted the disease yet have been asymptomatic.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

How other sports plan on coming back

Cricket - premium content but the first two paragraphs tell you what you need to know

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2020/04/17/england-planning-stage-matches-just-three-grounds-year/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter

Rugby Union

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/twickenham-wont-host-all-57-of-the-premierships-remaining-matches

Soccer

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-premier-league-efl-plans-18084149

Even the NFL might be playing behind closed doors

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/grim-outlook-10-major-issues-nfl-faces-as-it-aims-for-2020-season/ar-BB12NzZ4?li=BBnba9I

Along with other posters after the initial enthusiasm, I suspect both fans and broadcasters will find games without spectators hard going. Sport is after all a branch of the entertainment industry and no enterainer can be worthy of the title without an audience.

Still whatever pays the bills...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Absolute nonsense. Many people have contracted the disease yet have been asymptomatic.

Only quoting what the media are saying Johnny.

And as you know, there will be many, many people who do not report it for the cases you mention,through will or ignorance.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Along with other posters after the initial enthusiasm, I suspect both fans and broadcasters will find games without spectators hard going. Sport is after all a branch of the entertainment industry and no enterainer can be worthy of the title without an audience.

Still whatever pays the bills...

It may prove to be false economy.

Many people like to attend the games home and away.They may not like to be ignored,or disconnected,in this way.

The modern sports supporter now has all-seater stadia,with limited seats,therefore,unlike the olden days when people could be packed onto the terracing well above what may be considered safe,the stadium owners can just charge what they like from their limited audience.

The spectator will just be forgotten about.The TV Companies already do this,to a certain effect,by altering ko times at late notice.

It will be a slippery slope.If they can televise games without spectators being present in the ground,they could continue in the same manner.

We've already seen the owners of Super League clubs disregard other clubs and players over a tv deal.They sure won't be bothered about mere spectators.

If the long standing supporters are placed at the back of the queue the likelihood of new supporters,post-pandemic,will be nil.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

14 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It may prove to be false economy.

Many people like to attend the games home and away.They may not like to be ignored,or disconnected,in this way.

The modern sports supporter now has all-seater stadia,with limited seats,therefore,unlike the olden days when people could be packed onto the terracing well above what may be considered safe,the stadium owners can just charge what they like from their limited audience.

The spectator will just be forgotten about.The TV Companies already do this,to a certain effect,by altering ko times at late notice.

It will be a slippery slope.If they can televise games without spectators being present in the ground,they could continue in the same manner.

We've already seen the owners of Super League clubs disregard other clubs and players over a tv deal.They sure won't be bothered about mere spectators.

If the long standing supporters are placed at the back of the queue the likelihood of new supporters,post-pandemic,will be nil.

So you think that after being stuck inside for months people won't want to go outside when they can ?

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Madness isn't it , until the government tell us what they will allow it's complete nonsense speculating , it's about time the clubs , the owners , the CEO's and the players realised it and just go into hibernation , all on basic pay , sit it out , then decide what can be done 

Sorry to be blunt but this absolute nonsense.

any owners or people involved in running any business including sports businesses at the moment should definitely be planning on a pathway to getting back to business as close to normal, as soon as possible, if you just ride it out and see what happens the business might not be around when things do get back to some sort of normality.

it would be madness not to be discussing it or planning for the future.

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sorry to be blunt but this absolute nonsense.

any owners or people involved in running any business including sports businesses at the moment should definitely be planning on a pathway to getting back to business as close to normal, as soon as possible, if you just ride it out and see what happens the business might not be around when things do get back to some sort of normality.

it would be madness not to be discussing it or planning for the future.

So you think the people who through their own endevours have accumulated enough money to own and most likely financially support a sports club should be focusing on their money losing hobby rather than their money making primary business that is the reason they can own a club in the first place 

Freeze the club on minimum costs , keep your primary cash supplying business going , to suggest otherwise is quite silly 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you think the people who through their own endevours have accumulated enough money to own and most likely financially support a sports club should be focusing on their money losing hobby rather than their money making primary business that is the reason they can own a club in the first place 

Freeze the club on minimum costs , keep your primary cash supplying business going , to suggest otherwise is quite silly 

Why can’t they try look after all their interests?

What is silly is the suggestion of just doing nothing and hoping for the best.

I hope you don’t own or run a business.

As for discussing it on here, why shouldn’t we? And if its of no interest to you why bother posting?

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Why can’t they try look after all their interests?

What is silly is the suggestion of just doing nothing and hoping for the best.

I hope you don’t own or run a business.

As for discussing it on here, why shouldn’t we? And if its of no interest to you why bother posting?

I had a business for 19 years , built from scratch , turned over 20 odd million , set up others to verying degrees of success 

Was shut down for 3 weeks due to the Icelandic Ash cloud , nothing I could do , paid my staff to sweep the floors for 2 weeks , if things are out of your control , just sit it out , no amount of planning without firm dates is a complete waste if time , also a former director of a Championship/SL club 

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I had a business for 19 years , built from scratch , turned over 20 odd million , set up others to verying degrees of success 

Was shut down for 3 weeks due to the Icelandic Ash cloud , nothing I could do , paid my staff to sweep the floors for 2 weeks , if things are out of your control , just sit it out , no amount of planning without firm dates is a complete waste if time , also a former director of a Championship/SL club 

3 weeks because of the ash cloud is rather different to what is happening here.

you also didn’t just sit it out you formed a plan to get staff to do other work rather than their normal roles.

The game and clubs need to explore their options the suggestion that they shouldn’t seems rather shortsighted from a former business owner. Im really struggling to understand your issue here?

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

3 weeks because of the ash cloud is rather different to what is happening here.

you also didn’t just sit it out you formed a plan to get staff to do other work rather than their normal roles.

The game and clubs need to explore their options the suggestion that they shouldn’t seems rather shortsighted from a former business owner.

Options ?

I await with interest ?

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yeah, lets all just do nothing, that’ll work out well.

I take it you think all the other sports clubs And business currently exploring how to tackle this are mad aswell?

Yes , they are , ####### in the wind comes to mind 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is almost certainly going to he a period where the game can be played but fans cannot attend. 

For the game not be planning for that eventuality and ready to go is crazy.

This issue will affect us to varying degrees, almost certainly for turn next 5 years. The plans and flex we build in now isnt just for a month or so, it could be for this year, next year and years after.

We have to show not only fans, but broadcast partners, sponsors, corporates, players, all stakeholders, that that we can adjust to this not just now but for the future.

Nah, don’t be daft, just do nowt, it'll be fine ?

58 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There’s a clear difference on this place, which is exacerbated by goings on now, between the employed and the employers. 

Archived