Programmes

My earliest Featherstone programme was 1947,i had collected them for 44 years along with tickets, scarves, books and scarp books. When i moved to a flat i gave them all to the Rovers heritage scheme. 

Think, from memory, I’ve got a home and away programme from every year to about 1949, every Final programme Saints have played in that period and I was last working on every Australia or New Zealand game we played during that same period but I’ve not browsed eBay for months. 

Your post, Mr P, sent me scurrying off to look at the sports section of my bookshelf.  I expected to find two programmes, but found three.  That said, one that I was expecting to find was not there; it was for the Emerging Nations Final at Gigg Lane, Bury, when the Cook Islands took on, and beat, Ireland.  I think that was in October, 1995.  I am sure the programme is somewhere on the bookshelf.

What I did discover was, as expected, the programme for Les Dracs' Wembley success against the Wire.

What I also found were the programme produced for New Zealand's RLWC quarter final success against Scotland at Headingley in 2013.  Despite the predictable outcome, I enjoyed the match, not least of all because Alex Szostak got a run-out for the Scots, and his dad is an erstwhile colleague of mine.

And then I also found the Good Friday, 2001, programme for Keighley v Swinton.  We would have gone to my mother-in-law's for Easter; she lived up the valley at Cononley.  From my scribbles on the back, it looks as though Swinton won by 26 points to 18.

Thanks for encouraging me to dig around, Mr P.

What I recall, but no longer have, is the programmes from my first years of attending rugby league live, in the early to mid-60s, at Central Park and Hilton Park.  If my memory serves me correctly, at one ground it was 3d for a child to get in and 4d for a programme and at the other, 6d to get in and 3d for a programme, but I forget which was which!

I have every single home London Broncos programme from 1996 to date along with a host of other International, Domestic Cup programmes and routine league matches along with a quite a few Big League editions over the years - 4 crates worth securely located in the dry area of my Garage  - I am never going to part with them or my other sporting memorabilia. Simply because it represents the journey of a lifetime.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Like the other anoraks on here I've just launched into my collection. 

Looks like oldest programme I've got is from Hull v Doncaster on 19th September 1959.

Probably the most random one I've got is 1988 challenge cup preliminary round Heworth v West Hull. 

And I've also got a load of Ryedale-York programmes I seem to have forgotten about. 

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sorry for being naive, what was the protest for and what was the protest?

The RFL was kicking out the three teams that finished at the foot of the bottom division. In the event, they were Blackpool, Chorley and Nottingham. Highfield, who beat Nottingham 39-6, survived.

8 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

The RFL was kicking out the three teams that finished at the foot of the bottom division. In the event, they were Blackpool, Chorley and Nottingham. Highfield, who beat Nottingham 39-6, survived.

Wow. That seems totally fair and not at all like The RFL ?

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wow. That seems totally fair and not at all like The RFL ?

Details of the protest are coming back to me now. Fans of other clubs were encouraged (can't recall who did the encouraging) to attend the Nottingham-Highfield game and wear the shirts of their team. I think a group pic of protesting fans was taken before kick-off. If social media had been around in 1993, I guess the turnout of neutrals/protesters would have been a lot higher.

Archived