Toulouse Olympique

Are they ever going to make Super League?  Are they actually bothered?

This year, despite the season curtailment, they’re unbeaten.  Now TWP are out of the Champs they have a real shot at SL but we’ve witnessed a slightly stronger squad (TWP) falter in SL.  Their current squad would go the same way.

I would like to see some urgency.  Some chest beating in the press.  I don’t see it, yet promotion (however this or next year turns out) could make for some great viewing v Catalans.  It would seem an obvious (to me) Canal TV regular slot in the year.  

What does everyone else think.  

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Are they ever going to make Super League?  Are they actually bothered?

This year, despite the season curtailment, they’re unbeaten.  Now TWP are out of the Champs they have a real shot at SL but we’ve witnessed a slightly stronger squad (TWP) falter in SL.  Their current squad would go the same way.

I would like to see some urgency.  Some chest beating in the press.  I don’t see it, yet promotion (however this or next year turns out) could make for some great viewing v Catalans.  It would seem an obvious (to me) Canal TV regular slot in the year.  

What does everyone else think.  

I think that now is not the time for this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

32 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

They're serious, look how far they've come in a short space of time. I just think they're short of a half back and a couple of big forwards 

Yes, short of a SL quality stand off but just 2 forwards to compete in SL?  

My honest opinion is they aren’t serious enough at all.  One of their main assets, Kheirelah, and Hansen and Winterstein will not cut it in ayears time.  It needs a big spend imo and without big sponsorship (aerospace type) no chance.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That's probably the same for any team though, almost certainly more so

And Toulouse have to deal with the idiots who will say if they arent fielding 17 frenchmen what's the point while every other team fields 10 antipodeans and some leeds, Wigan and saints rejects 

Not sure about that, although their average age isn’t over the top.  They play well as a team but barring the FB have no out and out match winners.

I genuinely hoped they would develop into a nailed on SL team.  I wouldn’t have expected Houles to say anything different.  He’s a positive guy, but a comment on the other thread, regarding Canal TV coverage brought TO to mind.  

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I dont think there are any teams in the lower league who are close (or closer) to an SL squad. 

Toulouse are no different in that respect, cant really take that risk. Not going up or going up and going back down a la leigh and going pop would probably kill off any chance of SL for at least a decade. 

And this is the conundrum.  Potter along with 2500 fans, but that choice would be taken away if they won promotion.  They’d have no option, unless they can refuse, which I’m not sure they could.

Catalans are crying out fir them to succeed.

Said it before but SL needs 2 French teams. There’s a reason there is no French broadcaster this year and it’s because they can’t show a game every week. 

Get Toulouse in and say to French broadcaster you can have SL rights for X amount. 

Same could apply for Toronto and Ottawa further down the line.

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Said it before but SL needs 2 French teams. There’s a reason there is no French broadcaster this year and it’s because they can’t show a game every week. 

Get Toulouse in and say to French broadcaster you can have SL rights for X amount. 

Same could apply for Toronto and Ottawa further down the line.

A terrestrial deal would be perfect.

Look, I’m not trying to suggest TO are any kind of saviour for SL or SL needs them, but the corridor between Toulouse and Avignon could be stimulated by Cats v TO games.  It needs it.

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

A terrestrial deal would be perfect.

Look, I’m not trying to suggest TO are any kind of saviour for SL or SL needs them, but the corridor between Toulouse and Avignon could be stimulated by Cats v TO games.  It needs it.

I totally agree with that. SL generally needs games like that, look at Hull derby, Wigan v Saints, Leeds v Bradford, Wakefield v Cas. 

SL would definitely benefit form having 2 French teams 

Toulouse Olympic are a great RL club , they enhance any competition they are in , visited twice , met Carlos twice , his ' tashe ' is a bit greyer now than the first time , I hope he eventually sees them in SL 

No-one deserves it more than Carlos the man is a legend ,I was with him the day my late father died and was feeling completely down in the dumps that night in Toulouse he was holding a special outdoor dinner for old Toulouse players (June 13th 2002 I remember it well) he has a lovely side to him sat me next to him and pulled me through my grief in a wonderful way I will never forget that night:)

P

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would like them in Super League for a long weekend in that part of the world. 

As all sides who get promoted typically are, they’d be playing catch up and fighting a tough battle to remain in Super League, I think. 

What they have, which is different to TWP, is attacking flair.  TWP don’t seem to be able to turn that on when they need.  If TO had some more discipline and strength in defence (half backs as TD says)  they could compete.

Would be a great local derby with Cats with good crowds.  It would be interesting to hear what Audois and Barny have to say as their right on it,

Just now, Lowdesert said:

What they have, which is different to TWP, is attacking flair.  TWP don’t seem to be able to turn that on when they need.  If TO had some more discipline and strength in defence (half backs as TD says)  they could compete.

Would be a great local derby with Cats with good crowds.  It would be interesting to hear what Audois and Barny have to say as their right on it,

That may be, however, there is a clear step up to Super League level and even with flair, they’d, likely, still be in a dogfight. 

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Assuming there isn't just three SL clubs left or a TGG still in tact to worry about I'd love to see TO in the Super League.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Assuming there isn't just three SL clubs left or a TGG still in tact to worry about I'd love to see TO in the Super League.

All will be well.  I’m noticing positive news most days - which our lovely media have neglected.

I will message you.

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That may be, however, there is a clear step up to Super League level and even with flair, they’d, likely, still be in a dogfight. 

Should the season resurrect itself, TO are already in a dogfight with Leigh.  

One advantage TO may have over Toronto is greater pulling power of high quality players. Whilst Toronto clearly have marquee signings such as SBW, one player does not make a squad. I would imagine there are many more players happy to play  in France rather than the fragmented season in Canada.

If you are prepared to drive to Stansted you can easily pick up a Ryanair return flight for under £40 to Toulouse flying at 7:30am returning the same day at 11pm on a Saturday, we have done it a couple of times and makes for a good long day. There are plenty of cheap options available for to stay for the weekend option too. Always a highlight in the season calendar, I love the club too. 

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Ha ha.. So you would sell your roots to save the game?

Give your head a wobble.

Really haven't got a clue what your on about,but then again that's nothing new given the amount of drink fuelled incoherent rants you post.

Archived