Toulouse Olympique

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fans of Leigh, Featherstone, London, Bradford amongst other's being those who attend to watch their clubs live games as opposed to TV audiences will be hopeful that their team gains promotion before Toulouse.

Leigh are favourite.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

To those who can afford it Tommy , many can't spend essentially thousands following their teams Internationally , better they spend similar money taking their whole family 3 miles down the rd to follow their local club every other week 

Which option contributes the most to ' the sport ' ?

Many do spend thousands following their club though Gub, between Catalans (2 a season now for some due to loop fixtures), Magic and the cup, on top of season tickets and merchandise. I don't think we can say we have a radically poorer fanbase than football and they travel far further far more often and with greater variation. And it has to be said no one forces fans to travel away - and indeed the vast majority don't.

So long as supporting at home remains affordable and clubs don't charge extortionate ticket prices for away fans I don't see the problem. In fact, continuing this "our fans can't afford that" mantra is actually quite damaging for the sport; what company would want to sponsor a sport where 1 trip abroad a year is considered an extravagance? Its also just not true either is it, people do spend vast sums following rugby league clubs just as they do following football clubs and doing all sorts of things.

My proposal of a tour style if both French/Canadian teams were in the same division is actually a proposal to save fans money with the 1 set of international flights - it by no means is destined to be set up that way. Such trips can be part of a more general holiday, I know I would want to go to Toronto to see more than just the rugby. People prioritise certain things over others, which is probably why some teams take more away fans with them to the south of France than to some places in the north of England. 

I wouldn't want to prejudice other people from having the opportunity to follow my club or any other to any destination because I couldn't afford it, after all we are not communists. 

29 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

There is a place I’ve driven past on the way down.  Is it Futurescope??  Could be handy.

Now you mention it I remember going there years ago, must have been around 10 years ago, whilst on holiday with my family. I must have only been around 11 but all I can remember is it being a bit weird and a bit French haha. 

31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

'Does fun make money?'. If that's not RL summed up as precisely and succinctly as possible. 

People only attend RL because it's cheap, near their house, is a game they play against the next parish. 

Nobody attends to have fun, nobody has had any fun in RL towns since the 70's. Only new fly by night 'fans' have fun or expect a good time at an RL match. And they are wrong should be shunned. 

It is up there with "the game would be better off without money from Sky TV" for ridiculous statements I've ever seen posted.

What you write though is a recognition of several sports in this country however where there is an expectation that you have to be a hardcore supporter or nothing to be consider a "proper fan". It loses sight that a match is supposed to be "fun" to attend, not punishing. Naturally then a percentage of casual fans will become bigger fans, growing from the odd home game, to a few to "well I'm going to more than half the games a season I may as well get a season ticket". 

Like I said its an utterly ridiculous statement to make.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Edit. Is the lockdown getting to you?

Nah mate, I'm sat at home doing the same stuff I would have been without this, only difference being I'm going to the pub a lot less! (Which is helping me make significant progress with my work haha). Hope you are well

21 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Said it before but SL needs 2 French teams. There’s a reason there is no French broadcaster this year and it’s because they can’t show a game every week. 

Get Toulouse in and say to French broadcaster you can have SL rights for X amount. 

Same could apply for Toronto and Ottawa further down the line.

What French or Canadian Broadcaster is going to want a long term Super League TV rights deal when one of the French or Canadian sides could be relegated at the end of each year? Super League would need to guarantee the French or Candian TV rights holders the number of sides participating in the competition for the term of the contract to have any form of long term TV rights deals in either France or Canada.

17 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

What French or Canadian Broadcaster is going to want a long term Super League TV rights deal when one of the French or Canadian sides could be relegated at the end of each year? Super League would need to guarantee the French or Candian TV rights holders the number of sides participating in the competition for the term of the contract to have any form of long term TV rights deals in either France or Canada.

What about a short term deal.  You stay in SL, we’ll broadcast.  Canal could offer that.

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Many do spend thousands following their club though Gub, between Catalans (2 a season now for some due to loop fixtures), Magic and the cup, on top of season tickets and merchandise. I don't think we can say we have a radically poorer fanbase than football and they travel far further far more often and with greater variation. And it has to be said no one forces fans to travel away - and indeed the vast majority don't.

So long as supporting at home remains affordable and clubs don't charge extortionate ticket prices for away fans I don't see the problem. In fact, continuing this "our fans can't afford that" mantra is actually quite damaging for the sport; what company would want to sponsor a sport where 1 trip abroad a year is considered an extravagance? Its also just not true either is it, people do spend vast sums following rugby league clubs just as they do following football clubs and doing all sorts of things.

My proposal of a tour style if both French/Canadian teams were in the same division is actually a proposal to save fans money with the 1 set of international flights - it by no means is destined to be set up that way. Such trips can be part of a more general holiday, I know I would want to go to Toronto to see more than just the rugby. People prioritise certain things over others, which is probably why some teams take more away fans with them to the south of France than to some places in the north of England. 

I wouldn't want to prejudice other people from having the opportunity to follow my club or any other to any destination because I couldn't afford it, after all we are not communists. 

Our clubs (Wath Brow)trip to Toulouse in 2005 for a last 32 challenge cup game is part of the clubs folklore as is the adventures of the 100+ fans who were spread all over Europe trying to get connecting flights to the game,the  match despite a 60-12 loss was great,the aftermatch get together with all the players was even better,my 78 yr old mother on her first & only trip abroad still has a photo oh her & Trent Robinson.

Was the trip cheap,certainly not especially at the relative short notice and lack of budget flights,could everyone who made the trip really afford it,no,was it fun,absolutely  and is why I love this sport.

I bet you had a blast, despite all the France v England thing I can tell you from first hand experience that French people really value the friendships they make and rugby league people in France are very special.

One of the people I met at the GB v France test in 1990 in Leeds Bernard Baldy from Cahors has become a lifelong friend we are in contact nearly every single day (30 years now) We have been all over the place together watching RL matches:)

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

What about a short term deal.  You stay in SL, we’ll broadcast.  Canal could offer that.

well thats could be done but the whole competition loses revenue when they lose a broadcasting rights deal. Super League has to know what income it will receive over a period of time of several years so it can plan ahead and guarantee the participating clubs grants to.

5 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

well thats could be done but the whole competition loses revenue when they lose a broadcasting rights deal. Super League has to know what income it will receive over a period of time of several years so it can plan ahead and guarantee the participating clubs grants to.

Yes, fair enough.  Both French clubs are, in my opinion, fashionable in that both have distinct styles.  That and the international flavour could make SL better but as you say the TV deal is an essential part.

Still, I think we will wait awhile for TO.  It will take more than Houles odd statement to convince me.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I bet you had a blast, despite all the France v England thing I can tell you from first hand experience that French people really value the friendships they make and rugby league people in France are very special.

One of the people I met at the GB v France test in 1990 in Leeds Bernard Baldy from Cahors has become a lifelong friend we are in contact nearly every single day (30 years now) We have been all over the place together watching RL matches:)

Absolutely,I toured the Roanne area with the West Cumberland Youth League in 83 and stayed with the local pro teams president,wonderful,generous people with a real passion for RL.

Tough uncompromising rugby and more than a few flare ups which were put aside after the games  as we were treated with fantastic hospitality although at 16 Pernod didn’t agree with me !!

IF Super League can find French and Canadian Broadast rights deals, there needs to be a system where there is a guaranteed number of teams from each country to secure the Broadcast rights deals for a 5 - 10 year period. For example a 14 team Super League could have TV rights deal based on 10 UK sides being in Super League. French TV deal based on 2 French Clubs. North American Rights deal based on 2 North American Sides. In the case of relegation which the UK fans seem to love so much there could still be promotion/relegation between UK sides.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yes they do , last time I went to Toulouse in 2018 we had Dora with us at the age of 90 , and everybody had a great time , but given the numerous references to the supposed ' fixation ' British club owners supposedly have with away fans , they don't of course that is just often jumped upon by people wanting to have a dig at heartland clubs , to then see an answer to a question " which is better for the sport ? , A thousand pound spent travelling and attending a match abroad , or a full family giving that amount for 4 members of a family to attend home matches all season ? " We are constantly told " it's all about home fans " , so your answer while long winded and overly complicated should be the 4 season tickets 

I'd stop trying to be too clever , you'll end up like Scotchy 

Just for the record , I have lots of fun watching RL in Leigh , I have had lots of fun watching RL in Halifax , I have had lots of fun watching RL in Barrow , I have had lots of fun watching RL in France 

Again trying to make petty points just makes people look sillier than that already are , it a shame they feel the need to do it , sad in fact 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes they do , last time I went to Toulouse in 2018 we had Dora with us at the age of 90 , and everybody had a great time , but given the numerous references to the supposed ' fixation ' British club owners supposedly have with away fans , they don't of course that is just often jumped upon by people wanting to have a dig at heartland clubs , to then see an answer to a question " which is better for the sport ? , A thousand pound spent travelling and attending a match abroad , or a full family giving that amount for 4 members of a family to attend home matches all season ? " We are constantly told " it's all about home fans " , so your answer while long winded and overly complicated should be the 4 season tickets 

I'd stop trying to be too clever , you'll end up like Scotchy 

It's not that binary choice though is it?

Some people will be happy to spend money to follow a team to a location and then also make a holiday out of that, 100s of thousands of football and rugby (both codes) do this every year. But particularly in RL that doesn't necessarily mean that they would want to spend anything like that money on watching the team at home. Its a stereotype I know but it correlates with my own experience that its easier to get wives or girlfriends for example to come to special fixtures like European away days or Magic than a season ticket. Its different strokes for different folks.

Of the people planning to go to Toronto or Catalans this year for example, it seems a bit incredulous that you're suggesting the choice is that they would spend x on that trip or spend that same money on a season ticket at x club. Its far more likely that they'd just spend that money to go on holiday somewhere else that year. If they're all going to have season tickets then they're going to do that already before they think of going abroad to follow the team.

Like I said, the choice you present is not one that exists.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It's not that binary choice though is it?

Some people will be happy to spend money to follow a team to a location and then also make a holiday out of that, 100s of thousands of football and rugby (both codes) do this every year. But particularly in RL that doesn't necessarily mean that they would want to spend anything like that money on watching the team at home. Its a stereotype I know but it correlates with my own experience that its easier to get wives or girlfriends for example to come to special fixtures like European away days or Magic than a season ticket. Its different strokes for different folks.

Of the people planning to go to Toronto or Catalans this year for example, it seems a bit incredulous that you're suggesting the choice is that they would spend x on that trip or spend that same money on a season ticket at x club. Its far more likely that they'd just spend that money to go on holiday somewhere else that year. If they're all going to have season tickets then they're going to do that already before they think of going abroad to follow the team.

Like I said, the choice you present is not one that exists.

But as I said , which is better for the sport ? , 4 fans attending matches and a grand in the bank for the club , or a thousand in the pockets of rather,a hotel in France,bars and restaurants in France ? 

Just because somebody is prepared and able financially to travel the world watching their team or as a neutral doesn't make them any more or less of a fan than the person who travel 500 yards 

But some on here , and indeed your good self revel in suggesting they are it seems 

Anyway I had my say on Toulouse early on , I like the club and wish them well 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

But as I said , which is better for the sport ? , 4 fans attending matches and a grand in the bank for the club , or a thousand in the pockets of rather,a hotel in France,bars and restaurants in France ? 

Just because somebody is prepared and able financially to travel the world watching their team or as a neutral doesn't make them any more or less of a fan than the person who travel 500 yards 

But some on here , and indeed your good self revel in suggesting they are it seems 

Anyway I had my say on Toulouse early on , I like the club and wish them well 

The two aren't mutually exclusive and are irrelevant to eachother. May as well ask if we should all shop at Aldi rather than Tesco so we use the money we saved on our weekly shop on our clubs new home shirts. There is no correlation in what you're saying.

I have not and never have "revelled" in any such thing or ever even contemplated suggesting it. I'm not well off and do not come from a background that is. I've consistently championed the idea that all support is welcome and indeed made it clear from the start that as long as home games remain affordable then away fixtures are down to personal priority and personal affordability. I haven't gone to most away fixtures on weekends for the past 5 years because I couldn't afford the time off; didn't mean I loathed the clubs that played home games on Sundays. Likewise I could have afforded to go to Toronto this year, but if I did I wouldn't have been able to afford anything else, so I chose to not book to go. 

How you draw such a conclusion from anything I've said is beyond me

I'm a French fan  and would love toulouse in super league, but would toulouse being in super league affect the crowds at wembley, magic etc. 

You'd have the choice of going to toulouse, Toronto, catalans, Perpignan, magic, wembley and old Trafford

Quite a few trips away! Would the attendances suffer? 

À great  choice of destinations to visit  over a few years but you would  probably choose one or two a year maximum. 

On 12/04/2020 at 14:53, Lowdesert said:

It will end.  The game will go on.

Toulouse or Leigh are favourites.  IMO Leigh will go up.....then come back down again.

Ouch!

People forget last time in SL '17 we beat Saints, Warrington, Wigan, Hull FC and didn't finish bottom, such was the injury situation we played I think it was 34 player's, but it was Leigh so that plight and disadvantage didn't matter as much as when one of the 'top' clubs get an injury crisis and they recieve all the sympathy going.

Oh, forgot we also had Keiron Cunningham with his 'stupid' idea's, as a coach I don't  think I will get that much criticism from Saints supporters for saying that.

On 12/04/2020 at 15:17, Tommygilf said:

after all we are not communists. 

No, but there a few who write on these pages who are, have a look at the political section, they want everybody who has worked hard and earned sharing it out with everyone who hasn't.

................... I will get my coat!

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, but there a few who write on these pages who are, have a look at the political section, they want everybody who has worked hard and earned sharing it out with everyone who hasn't.

................... I will get my coat!

Don't worry Harry as these leaked reports allegedly show there's still some sane labour members working against the commies.

Archived