Where have you lived?

I have spent the vast majority of my life living in Hull but spent 4 years living in Berlin after college. I lived in the Charlottenberg district, at Fritschestrasse 55, apartment C with a German friend I met when I was interrailing. Wasn't a particularly fantastic apartment, bathroom light only turned on when it wanted to and you had to hold the flush down on the bog for a few seconds cos if you flushed and let go immediately the water wouldn't stop coming out. Floors and ceilings were paper-thin and you could hear everything that Karl and Anika were doing upstairs. I swear they were swingers. Then again they thought myself and Ben were gay so hey ho. 

I didn't exactly do an awful lot when I lived there. I was under the impression I was gonna be a bestselling writer so just wrote and worked in a hotel near the zoo. I did volunteer at a school to teach a bit of English though which was very rewarding and in hindsight probably the reason I became a teacher later on. Good Times! ?

If anyone wants to know anything about Berlin do feel free to ask. I love the place and go back at least every couple of years. I still consider it my second home! 

So where has everyone else lived over the years? 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derbyshire when I was young, Sheffield and Birmingham for University, Birmingham for first job then back to Derbyshire for the past 35 years. Oh and a brief period in Hull (about 2 months) doing a Uni project.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Lewisham, Sydenham, Catford, Luton, Pouce Coupe, Bromley, Petts Wood, Aylesbury, Chiswick, Hemel, Macclesfield, Camden, Caversham, Devizes.......can't keep still me.  I love change.  Rooms are constantly re-decorated or furniture moved around.  My family feel like they are in The Sims ?

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

Born in Westleigh in 1960 , now live 400 yards away from the house I was born in 

From May 75 to May 78 lived in Upper Hutt , just north of Wellington NZ , my brother stayed and lives in Lower Hutt 

Born in Purston, then to Featherstone. Lived in a back to back house. No electricity, non flush toilets, and a midden. Did all my studying at that time by gaslight. National Service, lived in Aldershot, then near Portsmouth, after that Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, and Egypt. Back to Egypt for Suez Crisis in 1956 Later married and lived in Bramley,  Pontefract,  Whitely Bridge,  Ferrybridge. Started off as a miner, then a railway clerk, a soldier and finally a senior manager in banking. Obtained 2 degrees. Good experience that saw me through life's difficulties.

Born in Batley, then Liverpool for six years (UNI +), then Newcastle U Tyne for 2 years. Moved to Germany with work, between Hannover and Hamburg, then onto Brunei on the island of Borneo. (Two seperate places there, Berakas and Seria) Then back to Europe to live in Napoli for 4 years, then back to Germany where I lived in Bielefeld for one year. Finally (or up to now) lived in Gateshead for last 15 years or so. 

Like someone else said, I like change and the opportunity it brings.

A few places.

Belgium, Brussels for most of a year.

UK, St Helens, Bedfordshire, Kent, Newcastle, Liverpool, Oxford, Essex

Spain, Vigo, for a few months

Switzerland for several months, Rhone Valley (lovely) and Basel (rubbish)

USA, four years in total, based in Boston and Sacramento Valley, worked in CA, MA, NE, NH, TX, WE

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Born in Sheffield. To St Andrews for university. Fredericton, New Brunswick, eastern Canada for a PhD. Rusholme and Whalley Range in Manchester while I was a researcher at the University of Manchester. Then I got a job in Leeds and decided to commute there from York. I'm quite happy here and won't be leaving unless I have to.

If I'd been able to get a job in Canada after I finished my PhD I would probably never have returned to the UK.

1 minute ago, wilsontown said:

Born in Sheffield. To St Andrews for university. Fredericton, New Brunswick, eastern Canada for a PhD. Rusholme and Whalley Range in Manchester while I was a researcher at the University of Manchester. Then I got a job in Leeds and decided to commute there from York. I'm quite happy here and won't be leaving unless I have to.

If I'd been able to get a job in Canada after I finished my PhD I would probably never have returned to the UK.

A dee dar!!!!???

I know what you mean about canada. Love the place

Born in Salford, 250 yards east of the Willows, Northwood, Middx for work for a year, at Mount Vernon Hospital, then Uxbridge, for 20 years, now Hastings/St. Leonards-on-Sea for the last 12. I actually grew up on the street next to where the Morleys grew up, my mum used to drink in the same WMC as their mum.

Sutton Coldfield

Pontefract

Hull

Normanton

Hebden Bridge

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

22 hours ago, heartofGold said:

Lewisham, Sydenham, Catford, Luton, Pouce Coupe, Bromley, Petts Wood, Aylesbury, Chiswick, Hemel, Macclesfield, Camden, Caversham, Devizes.......can't keep still me.  I love change.  Rooms are constantly re-decorated or furniture moved around.  My family feel like they are in The Sims ?

Really can't match that, but mine goes:

Guiseley
Bradford
Bury (1)
Bury (2)
Bury (3)
Thursby near Carlisle
Daventry
Lampeter
Cwmann
Back to Lampeter
Different place in Lampeter
Llantwit Major
Thornton Heath
Bounds Green
Mortlake
Chesham
Chalfont St Giles (1)
Chalfont St Giles (2)
Hastings (1)
Hastings (2)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

For me, London Colney, St Albans, two different places in the North York Moors, three different places in London.

My dad, however... his parents were active Salvation Army staff, so he's currently living in the 27th or 28th (he can't quite remember which) place he calls home. They got posted somewhere new every three or four years, mostly in the UK.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I have spent the vast majority of my life living in Hull but spent 4 years living in Berlin after college. I lived in the Charlottenberg district, at Fritschestrasse 55, apartment C with a German friend I met when I was interrailing. Wasn't a particularly fantastic apartment, bathroom light only turned on when it wanted to and you had to hold the flush down on the bog for a few seconds cos if you flushed and let go immediately the water wouldn't stop coming out. Floors and ceilings were paper-thin and you could hear everything that Karl and Anika were doing upstairs. I swear they were swingers. Then again they thought myself and Ben were gay so hey ho. 

I didn't exactly do an awful lot when I lived there. I was under the impression I was gonna be a bestselling writer so just wrote and worked in a hotel near the zoo. I did volunteer at a school to teach a bit of English though which was very rewarding and in hindsight probably the reason I became a teacher later on. Good Times! ?

If anyone wants to know anything about Berlin do feel free to ask. I love the place and go back at least every couple of years. I still consider it my second home! 

So where has everyone else lived over the years? 

I've got a question about Berlin. I went there for a weekend when my wife was about 5 months pregnant with our first. She was convinced that she was getting stared at a lot because of her bump, like it was seen as socially unacceptable for it to be seen and I must admit I did notice it a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't overtly displaying it or anything. Any thoughts?

I've lived in Widnes, Liverpool (Uni), Sydney and Strabane, Northern Ireland.  I was only in Sydney for about 4/5 months but while I was there, I was working and trying to save money. I learnt a valuable lesson that if you're living a normal life, you could be anywhere in the world. Also, as I'm quite shy and not massively outgoing, I realised that emigration would be difficult for me.

Living in Ireland was good preparation for the current lockdown we're in. I was basically unemployed for 12 months in a place where I didn't know anyone but my wife's family. I spent a lot of time in the house alone and managed to pass the time pretty well. I also learned lessons about myself for instance that even with all the time in the world, I'm still not going to be a neat freak or be disciplined enough to learn the piano to grade 8.

I've ended up living in a house on the same road as the house I was born in, with the house my dad was born in being half way between the two! 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've got a question about Berlin. I went there for a weekend when my wife was about 5 months pregnant with our first. She was convinced that she was getting stared at a lot because of her bump, like it was seen as socially unacceptable for it to be seen and I must admit I did notice it a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't overtly displaying it or anything. Any thoughts?

I must admit that is a mystery to me but you have got me wondering. I might have to have a look into that. 

Only thing I can really think is that your wife might have been dressed quite casually. I should explain; basically German dress etiquette is a bit more formal that ours. So the German concept of casual dress is what we would perhaps call smart-casual, so you can imagine Germans think our casual dress is a bit too casual. I asked a German friend once how they could tell different nations' tourists apart. They said all British people have tattoos and all Americans wear white socks and trainers. Germans do not wear white socks unless they are required to in a sporting environment, it is not appropriate to wear sporting attire if you aren't engaging in sport. 

I can't imagine they would care if her bump was really on display because culturally Germans are more casual about nudity than we are. You will watch German TV and there will be adverts with almost full frontal nudity to sell a mobile phone or something and not one person will bat an eyelid. One thing Germans love talking about is health-related topics. We talk about weather, they talk about health. People tend to love talking about babies and pregnancy, maybe people were just looking cos they were wondering how long your wife had to go until giving birth or something, cos they were interested. Germans do tend to be very curious and interested people. You can have an in depth discussion about almost anything with a German. Germans call their country, 'Das Land der Dichter und Denker', the land of poets and thinkers, they all like a good intellectual discussion. 

As I say, don't know why they would be staring but just a few little bits of German etiquette for you there. 

Leigh,Los Angeles and Liverpool. only went out to America on a 6 week visa when I was younger and decided to overstay my welcome by a year.I saw it rain maybe twice,briefly, when I was there,when I came back,it was throwing it down as I got off the plane,I thought it was wonderful,for about 30 minutes.The first job I got on my return was on a site in Liverpool,I went into a shop on the first day I was there,got talking to a girl by the fridge and 6 weeks later we were living together,happy to say shes now my mrs.

15 hours ago, Bob8 said:

A few places.

Belgium, Brussels for most of a year.

UK, St Helens, Bedfordshire, Kent, Newcastle, Liverpool, Oxford, Essex

Spain, Vigo, for a few months

Switzerland for several months, Rhone Valley (lovely) and Basel (rubbish)

USA, four years in total, based in Boston and Sacramento Valley, worked in CA, MA, NE, NH, TX, WE

Bedfordshire must have been the highlight 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Really can't match that, but mine goes:

Guiseley
Bradford
Bury (1)
Bury (2)
Bury (3)
Thursby near Carlisle
Daventry
Lampeter
Cwmann
Back to Lampeter
Different place in Lampeter
Llantwit Major
Thornton Heath
Bounds Green
Mortlake
Chesham
Chalfont St Giles (1)
Chalfont St Giles (2)
Hastings (1)
Hastings (2)

What, you live in a caravan or something, are the Police after you?

Archived