Greatest Players - top three scrum-halves

Wakefield Ram

3 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

1. Alan Bates

2. Barry Eaton

3. Liam Finn

Mark Keyworth, Paul Shuttleworth also contenders.

My favourite was Jimmy Elston.

2. Paul Delaney

3. Acker

Nods to Conway and Keyworth.

Special award to Alvin Newall, who was the incumbent when I  first got persuaded to jump on the roller coaster that has been the lot of the Dewsbury fan.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

15 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

1. Alan Bates

2. Barry Eaton

3. Liam Finn

Mark Keyworth, Paul Shuttleworth also contenders.

Er. There was a bloke called Roger (also played 6), another called Murphy (also could play 6), and another called Joey (also played 9). Heard of them? Might be worth looking them up, y'know?

My fave was my kid brother. Just used to beat the other halves up. Well, the forwards too, as well. Actually, beat everyone up. Being the shortest of my brothers (only 5'10") he's always had "Napoleon-Syndrome". Hilarious watching midgets fight. Like summat from The Lord Of The Rings.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

Oh, apologies. Just noticed that this is an exclusive thread for Dewbs fans only. I now feel like an asian walking into a Jim Davidson gig. Will leave.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Maybe I should re-name it Greatest Dewsbury Players ? any way your post made me laugh and good on you for not deleting it. For a few seconds I was trying to remember a Dewsbury scrum half called Roger ?

I thought Roger T.Ram had formed a new halfback partnership with Batler - now that would be worth seeing.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Alan Bates

Alwyn Newall

Anthony Thackeray

Wow, how could I have forgotten Thacks ? That's Akker demoted then. :kolobok_swoon:

George Bernard Shaw.

Another toughy.  
Thacks will be my number one for sure.   Will get back with the others after some thinking time and reminders from others.  

My dads gone;

Stan Butler, Alan Bates and Thacks.  
cant say I remember  even having heard of Stan Butler so must be one for the oldies.  

20 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Maybe I should re-name it Greatest Dewsbury Players ? any way your post made me laugh and good on you for not deleting it. For a few seconds I was trying to remember a Dewsbury scrum half called Roger ?

It might help! In the side-bar thingy, I just saw "top three scrum halves"! It didn't say it was exclusive to the Dews. ?

In these times, it's good to have a wee laugh, @Wakefield Ram. ?

Alan Bates ......... Far & away No.1      Top scrum half in the top division with our best-ever team.... International AND GB Tourist

Mark Keyworth

Barry Eaton 

Thacks was excellent and made an ordinary team a good team -- but, at Championship level

I'm not quite old enough to appreciate how good Alvin Newall was..... 

38 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Alan Bates ......... Far & away No.1      Top scrum half in the top division with our best-ever team.... International AND GB Tourist

Mark Keyworth

Barry Eaton 

Thacks was excellent and made an ordinary team a good team -- but, at Championship level

I'm not quite old enough to appreciate how good Alvin Newall was..... 

To be fair he wasn't.

George Bernard Shaw.

Newall was the incumbent at scrum half when I first started watching Dewsbury....... as he was a player in 'my' team then he was 'the best' regardless of facts... ?     Remember Budge & Newall as the half-back combo..... Bob Hirst at full back, Willie Walker on the wing,  'Big'Jim Naylor & Trevor 'Tank' Walker at props....Brian Firth, Kevin Osbourne (both of whom once stopped and gave my brother and me a lift up Leeds Road for a game vs Hull - great thrill at the time) .... I think we had a loose forward called Kevin Boocock...

I'm drifting away from the thread - sorry......... I'm also sure I remember a Christmas Day game against Batley in the mid-late Sixties....... 

Moving on ................ ⏳⏳

Alwyn Newall led us to two semi finals .... in the 60s.  He was our captain and we were a moderately decent team ... again as with '73' he was the incumbent when I stared watching Dews ... and I might have been a star struck child but I remember him darting through defences throwing good passes and dropping a fair few goals when they meant something!! I think it was Edwards and Newall ... then Budge and Newall. 

1. Alan Bates

2. Barry Eaton

3. Mark Keyworth

Many honourable mentions, not including Willy Johnson who masterminded our infamous defeat at Runcorn back in 1991.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Alwyn Newall led us to two semi finals .... in the 60s.  He was our captain and we were a moderately decent team ... again as with '73' he was the incumbent when I stared watching Dews ... and I might have been a star struck child but I remember him darting through defences throwing good passes and dropping a fair few goals when they meant something!! I think it was Edwards and Newall ... then Budge and Newall. 

Sure there was a period round then that we had a stand off called Hayman.

George Bernard Shaw.

45 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Sure there was a period round then that we had a stand off called Hayman.

I remember Gwynn Davies Alan Edwards Garth Budge .... was there a  Trevor Ward around then or is my memory playing tricks ... The name Hayman rings a bell though ...was he an import?? .... but I can't visualise him ! 

13 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

I remember Gwynn Davies Alan Edwards Garth Budge .... was there a  Trevor Ward around then or is my memory playing tricks ... The name Hayman rings a bell though ...was he an import?? .... but I can't visualise him ! 

I seem to remember him being a decent player, and he might have been an Aussie. What makes him stick in my mind, was that there was a song at the time called "Hey Man", and my mate had an irritating habit of bursting into a rendition of the song when Heyman took the field. This may, of course, all have happened in a parallel universe. :kolobok_wacko:

George Bernard Shaw.

Signings of Australian players were largely outlawed during the 60's and early 70's, if that helps.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived