Clubs reject games behind closed doors

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are all players officials and backroom staff going to be tested prior to each game?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

How can a game be conducted whilst practicing social distancing?. How can you tackle someone when you're two metres away and they're all from different households? . I don't see how any team sport would be able to be conducted whilst these measures are in place. 

8 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

How can a game be conducted whilst practicing social distancing?. How can you tackle someone when you're two metres away and they're all from different households? . I don't see how any team sport would be able to be conducted whilst these measures are in place. 

You can't. It's the social distancing rule that's the key point for sports. Until it's relaxed, no sport is possible. Once it is, then providing a general rule on groups allows at least 50 together, then behind closed doors matches become theoretically possible.

If organised carefully, then there's actually no reason for playing/coaching/medical staff to come into contact with ground/broadcast staff (except Jenna!) 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

You can't. It's the social distancing rule that's the key point for sports. Until it's relaxed, no sport is possible. Once it is, then providing a general rule on groups allows at least 50 together, then behind closed doors matches become theoretically possible.

Must admit I’m confused about the legalities of this. The law bans public gatherings of more than two people but an exemption applies ‘where the gathering is essential for work purposes’ . And there’s nothing about ‘two metres’ in the law.

Also, the list of businesses subject to lockdown https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf includes ‘Playgrounds, sports courts and outdoor gyms‘ but does that apply to stadia? 

Confused.com

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The big questions, aside from the obvious medical stuff, are who can't afford to play behind closed doors and who can't afford not to. Primarily this is in reference to SL of course.

Very few clubs have big cash reserves, or make an annual profit, so in theory none of them can afford to go without the matchday revenue, if most other costs are being incurred. But some will be able to bridge the gap by raising extra money from owners, supporters etc.

Based on what we know about size of fans bases and wealth of owners, it's the obvious clubs that may struggle to keep afloat for more than a month or so without marchday income: Salford, Wakefield, maybe Hull KR and even Cas. 

12 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Very few clubs have big cash reserves, or make an annual profit, so in theory none of them can afford to go without the matchday revenue, if most other costs are being incurred. But some will be able to bridge the gap by raising extra money from owners, supporters etc.

Based on what we know about size of fans bases and wealth of owners, it's the obvious clubs that may struggle to keep afloat for more than a month or so without marchday income: Salford, Wakefield, maybe Hull KR and even Cas. 

I agree, but that do we wait on the government saying events with crowds can happen for those clubs even though that may not be possible till September maybe even later? Will these clubs get outvoted on restarting behind closed doors? 

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If organised carefully, then there's actually no reason for playing/coaching/medical staff to come into contact with ground/broadcast staff (except Jenna!) 

2 metres is only a guideline not in legislation, and the amount of people at the game working doesn't matter, probably thousands of people in some of these massive distribution hubs. But I agree the optics would not look good. 

But legally there is nothing to stop SL from starting again at anytime. 

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Are all players officials and backroom staff going to be tested prior to each game?

They can't test our fire brigade so i should imagine sport will be way down the list! 

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

2 metres is only a guideline not in legislation, and the amount of people at the game working doesn't matter, probably thousands of people in some of these massive distribution hubs. But I agree the optics would not look good. 

But legally there is nothing to stop SL from starting again at anytime. 

Unless I’m missing something, that appears to be correct. 

Why are we even thinking about putting our athletes in harms way?

Their health is more important than SKY, RL and rugby clubs.

If we had to have a 12 month furlough would that be so terrible in the scheme of things?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Just now, Bearman said:

If we had to have a 12 month furlough would that be so terrible in the scheme of things?

Or to put it another way, how many deaths of those who will be involved is considered acceptable to allow an early restart?

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

Actually the question should be how many deaths as a consequence of an early restart is acceptable?

If it’s safe to play behind closed doors then I see no reason why we shouldn’t. That relies of doctors and other medical staff being available though. 

All you need for TV are 2 commentators, producer and what ever other staff eg camera man ect. Pu dit’s and presenters can be in a studio somewhere else 

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Actually the question should be how many deaths as a consequence of an early restart is acceptable?

That's an easy one ....zero

Ron Banks

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The risk of transmission between players isnt why sports are suspended.

It was suspended to keep humans away from each other. Players may be supermen but they are still human.

Ron Banks

18 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

If it’s safe to play behind closed doors then I see no reason why we shouldn’t. That relies of doctors and other medical staff being available though. 

All you need for TV are 2 commentators, producer and what ever other staff eg camera man ect. Pu dit’s and presenters can be in a studio somewhere else 

Are they the same doctors & medical staff who are on their knees after weeks of risking their lives to save others ?

Archived