Clubs reject games behind closed doors

32 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

And China's relaxation of restrictions probably still leaves them stricter than the UK's - as do Spain and Italy's while France have just announced a tightening. China also still haven't yet allowed any sport to start. Basketball were hoping to start there this month (15th, behind closed doors) but the Government have put an open ended ban on that idea. 

This bears repeating because I've seen a couple of people saying that the UK could be heading into easing restrictions because Italy and Spain are easing theirs (potentially). Even with the easing, Spain and Italy will be under a more significant and more enforced lockdown than the UK.

How Serie A restarts under even the eased situation - and I have read that it will - I honestly don't know.

EDIT

Also, I've seen a bit of online confusion about Chinese leagues playing. As far as I can see, this is because the leagues in Taiwan also call themselves Chinese. And some of those, such as the Chinese Professional Baseball League, are now playing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This bears repeating because I've seen a couple of people saying that the UK could be heading into easing restrictions because Italy and Spain are easing theirs (potentially). Even with the easing, Spain and Italy will be under a more significant and more enforced lockdown than the UK.

How Serie A restarts under even the eased situation - and I have read that it will - I honestly don't know.

EDIT

Also, I've seen a bit of online confusion about Chinese leagues playing. As far as I can see, this is because the leagues in Taiwan also call themselves Chinese. And some of those, such as the Chinese Professional Baseball League, are now playing.

Reports of all these supposed restarts turn out to be statements made by someone from the sport's governing body and are more of a hope than reality. I think the Italian football authorities were also talking of an April start a month ago.... 

The only thing I've seen of government spokespeople commenting is (on the NRL 28th May date)

Australia’s chief medical officer Brendan Murphy warned on Sunday he thought it was “premature” to be planning a comeback amid the coronavirus. And sports minister Richard Colbeck on Monday morning told ABC Radio that while he wanted to see leagues return as soon as possible it had to be within reason.

“I think it’s a bit ambitious to be frank,” Colbeck said. “If you consider the advice that we are still getting from people like Brendan Murphy ... they’re the people who I think should be providing advice on these things.

“I think we need to be really cautious about the circumstances we are in. Yes, we are doing extremely well at the moment. But once the health authorities that are giving us advice give us the signal, we can start to relax some of those things.”

Apart from the obvious lack of revenue from tickets, merchandising and catering One thing that does not come up when posters start discussing playing behind closed doors is the quality of play and the effect on players of playing in a containment area. Two quotes from american sport where both playing in empty stadiums and being in a containment "bubble" are under consideration in their sports leagues so are relevant to Rugby League here and down under.

“I don’t think people have really focused on what it’ll be like for players to play without fans in the stands, if that’s what happens. You’re so used to playing in front of fans. It pumps you up, fills you with adrenaline. To play in front of nobody would be so bizarre. Mentally preparing to kick in a stadium with no fans will just be so different.”

—Buffalo kicker Steven Hauschka, to me, on the prospect of playing in empty stadiums this fall

“I have my third child due in June. If this ‘bubble’ in Arizona was going to happen starting in May, you’re trying to tell me I’m not going to be able to be with my wife and see my kid until October? I’m going to go four or five months without seeing my kid when it’s born? I can tell you right now that’s not going to happen.”

—Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals, in a column written for the Associated Press with AP writer Howard Fendric

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/nfl-draft-rumors-coronavirus-life-peter-king/

If you want to see photos of a league playing in empty stadia with no fans (but has cheerleaders ?) Here is the Baseball League in Taiwan (Republic of China)

https://www.ibtimes.com/taiwan-bucks-virus-sports-cancellations-new-baseball-season-2957103

If the Super League (which does not have all its games televised each round unlike the NRL) really was keen on playing in empty stadia then the Magic Weekend would be rescheduled and not cancelled as logistically this is the best way for TV coverage.  Though as a critic of the Magic Weekend in normal times, there are a few games in that weekend that are sparsely attended to begin with....

Anyway let's all try to stay positive and I am sure something will turn up

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The players could perhaps carry 2m long poles to prod each other with to 'effect a tackle'?

This is George Williams practicing his social distancing tackling technique

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Your original post saying this was after mine.

I haven't at any stage disagreed that what you have put (nor agreed, I havent mentioned it all) I also dont think the game will return before may 13th (though I'm not sure where that date comes from in the context of this decision)

I've simply said that the clubs medical staff wouldn't delay the return of the game. Are we agreed that that is the case?

Because outside of that. In terms of the paramedics availability etc. I'm not disagreeing

So now you are moving the goalposts yet again on what you said, what's been said for 4 pages and what you wanted to bet on below. Your obvious simple test isn't good enough then. Typical.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I edited some spelling.

But surely now we can agree. Either the games reopening is delayed because of the 'availability' of the clubs medical staff or it isnt. If it is you are right. If it isnt I am? Surely that's the obvious simple test of both our arguments, we can revisit it in a month and you can apologise for being wrong ?

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Who for?

Social distancing rules will change and will likely not be applicable to everyone in the same way. 

Let's say £20 to a charity of your choice. RL will be played in this country before let's say the end of July and whilst some social distancing guidelines are still in place. If I'm wrong I pay, if I'm right you

So in a page you've gone from seeing in a month to July. Do you have no shame? Obviously not.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

It does actually carry a clear message..

"We will not have sporting events with fans until we have a vaccine,"

That will be true for all events, behind closed doors or not.

No, that is an opinion of a University Lecturer who then goes on to forecast 2 million deaths in the USA by Autumn (they are currently on 23000 or just over 1% of that and slowing , so going to need quite an amazing , unprecedented , by magic, acceleration out of nowhere).  Given that , it is doubtful his opinion will carry much truck with the people who actually make decisions or actually have some "skin in the game".

A vaccine is not a certainty or if we get one it maybe a year or two away.  So in your world (and the lecturers), no vaccine = no more spectator sports/concerts/events/gatherings ever? Even when the accepted  risk has lowered dramatically? I doubt that will run.

On 12/04/2020 at 20:24, Total Rugby League said:

A number of clubs have objected to the idea of playing games behind closed doors. League Express understands a number of Super League clubs are...

View the full article

It’s all well and good objecting to playing behind closed doors, but have they come up with a solution that will finish the season in 2020? Without a solution lots of players won’t be getting paid, and I’m fairly sure they’ll be objecting to that too.

I can see no solution without both resuming behind closed door and some mid week games.

Another thing to consider.

Doesn’t playing the game on the field contravene the Social Distancing laws?After all players will be getting up close to one another won’t they?

And then of course there is the post match communal bath and I assume a shower which no doubt will be less than 2m apart?

There should be no sport at all until this damned virus has gone.

To be fair if they said they are playing in two weeks or two months i would be staying at home,those players are going home to their kids and possibly parents too.whats the point millions staying indoors for it all to be flouted for sake of a game.  and am having withdrawl from my rugby and a few pints fix of a sunday.

As for the money that SKY give the RFL.

How much minimum do the clubs in each division get from the RFL per year?

I believe that the RFL get about £40m from SKY but I am not sure how it is divided between the relevant clubs.

And I add I also think that the two French clubs and Toronto get no central funding.

11 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

As for the money that SKY give the RFL.

How much minimum do the clubs in each division get from the RFL per year?

I believe that the RFL get about £40m from SKY but I am not sure how it is divided between the relevant clubs.

And I add I also think that the two French clubs and Toronto get no central funding.

This is the ins and outs:

https://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

There is a 2 meter guidance in force. Would you like them to enforce it?

In a Super League game? No! 
Just pointing out it’s not illegal to come within 2m of another human during lockdown so that wouldn’t be a legal barrier to a resumption of Super League.

Until its possible to guarantee that every single person involved in a game doesn't have the virus then a game cant go ahead. To do that there would be a need for the test kits to be available, currently there arent enough to test the people who desperately need it now, The playersand all the necessary people needed to play these games behind closed doors will be way own the list for these tests when they are available. Games should not be played for several months yet.

Clubs have rejected games behind closed doors - for now - because they can do. This is thanks to the lifeline of SKY making a payment to cover up to the end of June.

The clubs still hope that at some point games can be played in front of spectators thus ultimately avoiding the huge loss in income.

This lockdown WILL be eased almost certainly within 2 months and then the situation changes significantly. Possibly it will still not be possible to play in front of spectators if so I am quite sure games would be played behind closed doors to protect the next SKY payment.

This disease will probably always be around just like the flu is. However the risk becomes massively reduced and I believe would be minimal after lockdown for young fit, symptom free athletes. Guarantees? There are none in life and never will be. Playing Rugby League never has been risk free ask Mose Masoe.

Rugby League WILL be played this year if not in front of spectators then behind closed doors. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

When other non essential workers go back to work so can Rugby League players IMO 

Not in Spain they can't.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/13/spain-allows-non-essential-employees-back-work-coronavirus-deaths-ease-12551812/

Not even allowed training - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/13/la-liga-spanish-government-steps-in-to-prevent-real-sociedad-return-to-training

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

When other non essential workers go back to work so can Rugby League players IMO 

There will probably come a time within the next 2-3 months, hopefully earlier, when normalities can resume for most people, but not for the old and vulnerable? As my wife is in that group I will probably still be on lock down, either voluntarily or compulsory, and will not be attending games until perfectly safe, but I'll probably be stir crazy by then and will be desperate for some competitive sport on TV. There must be many others in a similar situation, and if it's perfectly safe to play behind closed doors I would be willing to pay a premium to watch my team on TV. The trouble is my team is in the Championship, and its unlikely Sky will want to televise non-SL games? The only way around that is live streaming but Sky hold the rights, would they be gracious enough to relax their restrictions?

Archived