The Russian Revolution

On 14/04/2020 at 11:34, Total Rugby League said:

The word ‘revolution’ means a lot in Russia and, as history can so easily highlight, it has to start from the bottom. That’s where the...

View the full article

One all-too familiar takeaway from this article is how the inclusion of Union sevens as an Olympic sport has helped to undermine League in developing nations. Every encouragement should be given to those campaigners trying to establish RL nines either as a World circuit, or as part of multi-sport events. As ever though, the word "Rugby" is a giant hindrance. Go to either the Olympic Committee or National governing bodies with a proposal for nines and the reaction is too often, "We already have Rugby".

Many thanks for your kind words guys. We are certainly doing our upmost to get the game back on its feet in Russia.

Couldn't agree more there are some great episodes of Chasing Kangeroos out there. Carbs has done wonders bringing the emerging nations together. 

The point about 'rugby' is so true. Often called Rugby 13 over here. It does us no favours at all. 

16 minutes ago, JC38 said:

Many thanks for your kind words guys. We are certainly doing our upmost to get the game back on its feet in Russia.

Couldn't agree more there are some great episodes of Chasing Kangeroos out there. Carbs has done wonders bringing the emerging nations together. 

The point about 'rugby' is so true. Often called Rugby 13 over here. It does us no favours at all. 

I was amazed that you need to get the game played in half of the (140-odd?) states that make up Russia - must be nigh on impossible given the size of the place! Good luck with it all anyway, I really enjoyed your interview. 

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

It sucks that Russian RL clubs decided to make union as their main football code.

I agree however the reason was Rugby Union becoming an Olympic sport (I lived in Russia for 3 years) and Olympics means everything especially the Winter Olympics and = government funding its as simple as that.

I went to the Churchill Cup match in London between Russia v USA or Canada (I cannot remember whom) in 2011 and 80% of the Russian team were league players.

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

It sucks that Russian RL clubs decided to make union as their main football code.

Thats the Olympics for you, and for those who see it as only the pure form of the game only, its 7s that is recognised but benefits 15s massively.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats the Olympics for you, and for those who see it as only the pure form of the game only, its 7s that is recognised but benefits 15s massively.

Totally correct Tommy, far too many sports in the Olympics nowadays, they should cut it back to traditional Olympic sports only, for me the winter games is far more interesting when will new sports being added stop its become total madness next they will have Chess/Monopoly/Snap ?

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Totally correct Tommy far too many sports in the Olympics nowadays they should cut it back to traditional Olympic sports only for me the winter games is far more interesting when will new sports being added stop next they will have Chess/Monopoly/Snap ?

You say that but there was all sorts in the early modern Olympics, so calling anything a "traditional olympic sport" or not is always going to have limitations. I get what you mean though, athletics, gymnastics and swimming are the core events.

I know 9s has its detractors, but as 7s has shown it may be the only way to Olympic recognition and the government funding and recognition that is driven towards that. As a sport we risk being left behind without it - especially in new territories.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You say that but there was all sorts in the early modern Olympics, so calling anything a "traditional olympic sport" or not is always going to have limitations. I get what you mean though, athletics, gymnastics and swimming are the core events.

I know 9s has its detractors, but as 7s has shown it may be the only way to Olympic recognition and the government funding and recognition that is driven towards that. As a sport we risk being left behind without it - especially in new territories.

Anything to get RL moving forward internationally 9,s is a good shout.

On another note I seem to remember that by becoming president of the French Rugby League you are entitled to have representation on the national Olympic committee.

Paul

On 15/04/2020 at 10:05, unapologetic pedant said:

One all-too familiar takeaway from this article is how the inclusion of Union sevens as an Olympic sport has helped to undermine League in developing nations. Every encouragement should be given to those campaigners trying to establish RL nines either as a World circuit, or as part of multi-sport events. As ever though, the word "Rugby" is a giant hindrance. Go to either the Olympic Committee or National governing bodies with a proposal for nines and the reaction is too often, "We already have Rugby".

Yet more proof that development will only work on a top-down basis, with something able to make a sufficiently big and strong impression to attract serious interest and backing.  Grassroots bottom-up efforts will never be able to beat the competition.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yet more proof that development will only work on a top-down basis, with something able to make a sufficiently big and strong impression to attract serious interest and backing.  Grassroots bottom-up efforts will never be able to beat the competition.

It’s not proof of that at all, there are plenty of bottom up projects around that are doing fine. It’s just that you as a keyboard warrior don’t have anything to do with them and don’t know anything about them. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It’s not proof of that at all, there are plenty of bottom up projects around that are doing fine. It’s just that you as a keyboard warrior don’t have anything to do with them and don’t know anything about them. 

How many of them amount to something more than some off-season activity for RU clubs and players?

7 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I agree however the reason was Rugby Union becoming an Olympic sport (I lived in Russia for 3 years) and Olympics means everything especially the Winter Olympics and = government funding its as simple as that.

I went to the Churchill Cup match in London between Russia v USA or Canada (I cannot remember whom) in 2011 and 80% of the Russian team were league players.

Odd that they didn't pick the players playing RU in France, England or even the ones playing it in Russia. 

31 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Odd that they didn't pick the players playing RU in France, England or even the ones playing it in Russia. 

The league players were simply better I remember speaking to most of them at the reception afterwards most were all ex league.

33 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The league players were simply better I remember speaking to most of them at the reception afterwards most were all ex league.

I can assure you that the national Russian RU team would not play a test match against the USA or Canada with 18 of their 23 man squad comprised of RL players.  

I can sell you a bridge though if you're interested? 

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

How many of them amount to something more than some off-season activity for RU clubs and players?

Coventry Bears, Newcastle, London Skolars, West Wales, All Golds, Manchester Rangers - there are probably lots more too. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Coventry Bears, Newcastle, London Skolars, West Wales, All Golds, Manchester Rangers - there are probably lots more too. 

I was referring to the RL bodies in other countries, not the UK.  Even in the UK though, did the Southern Conference ever play other than in the RU off-season?

1 hour ago, RMBJ said:

I can assure you that the national Russian RU team would not play a test match against the USA or Canada with 18 of their 23 man squad comprised of RL players.  

I can sell you a bridge though if you're interested? 

GAME ON I will dig out the player list over the weekend and the RUGBY LEAGUE teams they played for.

P

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I was referring to the RL bodies in other countries, not the UK.  Even in the UK though, did the Southern Conference ever play other than in the RU off-season?

How about Serbia, France or PNG?

Archived