The Russian Revolution

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

France and PNG are established RL countries, Serbia might be the one newish country in the game which hasn't been reliant on RU players.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here?

27 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

GAME ON I will dig out the player list over the weekend and the RUGBY LEAGUE teams they played for.

P

You also forgot you were in Colorado, USA and not London, UK when you were chatting to the Russian players. Hope that helps. 

The Russian team that played England Saxons in the Churchill Cup in 2010 was;

Russia: Maglakelidze, Korshunov, E. Pronenko, Voytov, Fatakhov, Gresev, K. Kushnarev, Medkov, Yanyushkin, Y. Kushnarev, Gerasimov, Makovetskiy, Babaev, Artemyev, Klyuchnikov.
Replacements: Boyvinnikov, Matveev, Khrokin, Sergeev, Shakirov, Kuzin

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yet more proof that development will only work on a top-down basis, with something able to make a sufficiently big and strong impression to attract serious interest and backing.  Grassroots bottom-up efforts will never be able to beat the competition.

Becoming an Olympic sport creates a virtuous circle. Place at the top table, grass roots funding, top-down, bottom-up, symbiosis.

2 hours ago, RMBJ said:

You also forgot you were in Colorado, USA and not London, UK when you were chatting to the Russian players. Hope that helps. 

The Russian team that played England Saxons in the Churchill Cup in 2010 was;

Russia: Maglakelidze, Korshunov, E. Pronenko, Voytov, Fatakhov, Gresev, K. Kushnarev, Medkov, Yanyushkin, Y. Kushnarev, Gerasimov, Makovetskiy, Babaev, Artemyev, Klyuchnikov.
Replacements: Boyvinnikov, Matveev, Khrokin, Sergeev, Shakirov, Kuzin

Sorry RMBJ I was at Esher Rugby Club for a double header (You have the wrong year)

I have written this morning to my contact from the old RRL sent him the names of the players who were in the Russian squad for the match at Esher RUFC in 2011 (v Canada) I did originally say it was USA or Canada (I could not remember) and asked him to list which ones played Rugby League in Russia and the clubs they played for.

I did say they played Rugby League (I did not say if they were duel Internationals) 

So for every one under the figure of 18 (I am sure it will be at least 10/12:) I will donate £ 5.00 to a charity of your choice RMBJ (You can message me if you want)

Give him a few days to come back to me.

Cheers 

Paul

17 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yet more proof that development will only work on a top-down basis, with something able to make a sufficiently big and strong impression to attract serious interest and backing.  Grassroots bottom-up efforts will never be able to beat the competition.

Any roof top down works? League still isn't a recognised sport in Canada.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have written this morning to my contact from the old RRL sent him the names of the players who were in the Russian squad for the match at Esher RUFC in 2011 (v Canada) I did originally say it was USA or Canada (I could not remember) and asked him to list which ones played Rugby League in Russia and the clubs they played for.

I did say they played Rugby League (I did not say if they were duel Internationals) 

So for every one under the figure of 18 (I am sure it will be at least 10/12:) I will donate £ 5.00 to a charity of your choice RMBJ (You can message me if you want)

Give him a few days to come back to me.

Cheers 

Paul

You can list RU players who played RL if you like. Just Google the names of the players I listed who played for Russia against England Saxons the year before, most of them have Wiki pages.

4 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

You can list RU players who played RL if you like. Just Google the names of the players I listed who played for Russia against England Saxons the year before, most of them have Wiki pages.

Hold on we seem to be playing a game of tennis here ,at first you accused me of imagining I was in Denver (You got the year wrong) when I made it clear that it was 2011 (NOT 2010) and that the match was either Russia v USA or Canada.

I confirmed it as 2011 at Esher RUFC part of a double header that day, I have e-mailed my old contact at the RRL and asked him for a list fairly simple for which I have offered to pay £5 for every player that has not played RL in Russia (Under the figure quoted of 18) to a charity of your choice.

Around 50% of the Russian players that played do not have wiki pages which is why I have e-mailed my old contact if I am seriously wrong then I will apologise lets see what he comes up with first (My oldest boy trained with the squad that week as well) after being asked to join by the coach Kingsley Jones and is in contact to this day with many of the players.

Simple:)

34 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Hold on we seem to be playing a game of tennis here ,at first you accused me of imagining I was in Denver (You got the year wrong) when I made it clear that it was 2011 (NOT 2010) and that the match was either Russia v USA or Canada.

I confirmed it as 2011 at Esher RUFC part of a double header that day, I have e-mailed my old contact at the RRL and asked him for a list fairly simple for which I have offered to pay £5 for every player that has not played RL in Russia (Under the figure quoted of 18) to a charity of your choice.

Around 50% of the Russian players that played do not have wiki pages which is why I have e-mailed my old contact if I am seriously wrong then I will apologise lets see what he comes up with first (My oldest boy trained with the squad that week as well) after being asked to join by the coach Kingsley Jones and is in contact to this day with many of the players.

I don't care if you're wrong. This is the internet, it doesn't matter.

p.s I'd also add, as a note of clarity, that saying "I have offered to pay £5 for every player that has not played RL in Russia" is quite a distance from "80% of the Russian team were league players"

p.p.s Kingsley Jones is about as rugby union as it gets.

26 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Does your son live and play RL in Russia?

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Does your son live and play RL in Russia?

He was at school and university here and is now living back in Moscow he will be playing for a club there as soon as this current crises is over he had a rugby scholarship in Scotland thanks to and old contact of mine Nik Cartwright (Harlequins/Broncos) who ended up for a couple of seasons at Edinburgh RU  (Mum and our other 3 are in England) He has only been back a few months.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You did say Churchill cup in your original post to be fair. That's where the confusion came from I'd imagine. 

Unfortunately RU in Russia is powering on with sevens in the Olympics and their domestic league seems to be mostly pro/semi pro now. Their national team even got an over 10k in attendance in Kaliningrad for their game against Portugal in the REC tournament a couple months back.

34 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Yes if they want to get funding and the sport into schools it is

Official recognition as a sport can also be useful in getting insurance. That was the scam the Italian RU used to stamp out the original appearance of RL in their country.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

You did say Churchill cup in your original post to be fair. That's where the confusion came from I'd imagine. 

Unfortunately RU in Russia is powering on with sevens in the Olympics and their domestic league seems to be mostly pro/semi pro now. Their national team even got an over 10k in attendance in Kaliningrad for their game against Portugal in the REC tournament a couple months back.

I agree I did say Churchill Cup but stated 2011 (Not 2010) the tournament in England was played for the Churchill Cup.

Cheers 

Paul

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I agree I did say Churchill Cup but stated 2011 (Not 2010) the tournament in England was played for the Churchill Cup.

Cheers 

Paul

I just checked Churchill Cup 2011 and the full Russian team that played Canada is listed. It was 22-man match squads back then, not 23 as they do now. 12 of the 22 Russian players have Wiki pages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Churchill_Cup

9 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Even in the heartlands the union and league season is separate

True, but those RL clubs aren't relying on out of season RU players to field teams though.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes I know but is that really significant in Canada? I know it is in some countries. 

Yes, amateur sports bodies can get federal funding if they meet the criteria.  Those include having the sport played in at least 7 provinces if memory serves.

Archived