RL in Southport?

It's smaller than Blackpool with an aged population. I can't see it being a success, sadly.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Football is king in Southport.  There was very little interest in rugby of either code when I grew up there.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

24 minutes ago, slowdive said:

Football is king in Southport.  There was very little interest in rugby of either code when I grew up there.

And even that interest seems to be focussed on  two teams 25 miles away rather than the local outfit. The bloke who runs our cafe at work is from Southport and is obsessed with Liverpool, he looked at me like I was mad when I once asked him if he was interested in Southport (when they drew Tranmere in the cup). 

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I feel bad pouring water on this idea (especially if you were thinking of setting a team up @ShevWig90), would be superb if there was one, or even any sort of amateur team there. 

Not to worry mate. I frequent the town quite alot which got me thinking about RL in Southport and weather it has any RL presence at all with it being not that far away from Wigan, St Helens etc

6 hours ago, ShevWig90 said:

Not to worry mate. I frequent the town quite alot which got me thinking about RL in Southport and weather it has any RL presence at all with it being not that far away from Wigan, St Helens etc

Southport is one of my favourite places.  

I am glad you suggested it as I would take an interest.

However I noticed that seaside towns don't seem to have a following for rugby league. 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

However I noticed that seaside towns don't seem to have a following for rugby league. 

Aren't Barrow, Whitehaven, & Workington seaside towns, are they not towns by the sea?

Blackpool Borough survived for 50+ years. Southport are snobs & too close to Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Aren't Barrow, Whitehaven, & Workington seaside towns, are they not towns by the sea?

Blackpool Borough survived for 50+ years. Southport are snobs & too close to Liverpool.

A town by the sea isn’t the definition of a seaside town. A seaside town is one that is a tourist centre based on its proximity to the sea - unless you go to Barrow on holiday. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

A town by the sea isn’t the definition of a seaside town. A seaside town is one that is a tourist centre based on its proximity to the sea - unless you go to Barrow on holiday. 

Sea side. What's the problem?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Barrow's centre might not be terribly attractive (though the Dock Museum, close to Craven Park, is excellent and the Town Hall an astonishing piece of architecture) but plenty of things right on the doorstep do pull in visitors. For example, the two nature reserves on Walney Island (one of the best places in Britain to view seals); guided walks over the sands to Piel Island; the views across Morecambe Bay from Roa Island; Furness Abbey; Earnse Bay sunsets etc. I'd take a mini-break in Furness over one in the likes of tacky and, frankly, dull-as-**** Southport any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not all phrases are literal. 

Yes three things are relevant here: there is always plenty of room on the beach to put all your stuff out, sun bathe and social distancing would (has ) never be ( never been) a problem and having a paddle means you'll always have had plenty of excercise and on a clear day you may get to see Ireland.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 hours ago, Niels said:

Southport is one of my favourite places.  

I am glad you suggested it as I would take an interest.

Scarborough had a team for a while in the 80s I think

like you say though rl doesn’t seem to mix well with sea air. 

barrow, Whitehaven, Newcastle and Workington may not agree

13 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Maybe Whitehaven and Workington would be massive SL clubs if there were a few miles inland ? 

50 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Yes thanks, Scarborough I forgot.

I also remember Kent Invicta played at Southend in Essex for a while. 

We never visited the Cumbrian holiday resorts, Morecambe and Southport were more accessible. I didn't venture down south until I was an adult lol.

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

Yes thanks, Scarborough I forgot.

I also remember Kent Invicta played at Southend in Essex for a while. 

We never visited the Cumbrian holiday resorts, Morecambe and Southport were more accessible. I didn't venture down south until I was an adult lol.

For some reason I thought you were Belgian ?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

For some reason I thought you were Belgian ?

No Belgian ancestry.

Myself and the family are all non EU now ?

It would be nice to have a team there, Southport, but there aren't enough people interested even in the football, same for Morecambe who do marvellous to keep in the football league. 

Archived