RL in Southport?

York Groves played a tour match against a team from Southport. Cant remember the year, but was around 2002. I'd have to check my tour T shirt, but that's packed away in my loft. 

Not sure if they had a team or they just put one together for a one off match. Seemed to be a mixture of league and union players.

Got called off 5 minutes early, as an all in brawl had erupted. I used to really enjoy them. 

Then on to Liverpool for a night out. Enjoyed them too.

15 hours ago, Niels said:

Yes thanks, Scarborough I forgot.

I also remember Kent Invicta played at Southend in Essex for a while. 

We never visited the Cumbrian holiday resorts, Morecambe and Southport were more accessible. I didn't venture down south until I was an adult lol.

I remember seeing Southend Invicta playing Fulham, their team played like they had first met each other on the bus to the game. There was definitely no game plan on show.

Kent Invicta were actually called Southend Invicta in their final season 1985, playing at Roots Hall. They attracted a crowd of 85 for their final home game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 15/04/2020 at 11:40, headtackle said:

Scarborough had a team for a while in the 80s I think

like you say though rl doesn’t seem to mix well with sea air. 

barrow, Whitehaven, Newcastle and Workington may not agree

Bridlington Bulls (playing on the RU club's ground) lasted a few seasons, certainly longer than semi-pro Scarborough Pirates. IIRC, Les Dyl set up the amateur team in Brid.

Not sure about 'sea air' in central Newcastle!

On 15/04/2020 at 11:40, headtackle said:

Scarborough had a team for a while in the 80s I think

like you say though rl doesn’t seem to mix well with sea air. 

barrow, Whitehaven, Newcastle and Workington may not agree

Hull ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Kent Invicta were actually called Southend Invicta in their final season 1985, playing at Roots Hall. They attracted a crowd of 85 for their final home game.

The time I saw them I think they must have picked their team from the crowd! Worst so called pro team I have ever seen, and I watched some real bad ones at Gateshead!,

On 14/04/2020 at 15:02, ShevWig90 said:

Does anyone know if there is any RL activity at all in this north west town? I've always thought a pro team would have half a chance of succeding here due to no pro level sport.

Hello ShevWig90, There was  two Southport Storm amateur clubs, the former merged into an Ormskirk team in 2006 The latter started playing playing in 2015 but folded at the end of the same year.

10 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Hello ShevWig90, There was  two Southport Storm amateur clubs, the former merged into an Ormskirk team in 2006 The latter started playing playing in 2015 but folded at the end of the same year.

Is there anything going on in Ormskirk at the moment that you know of, or anywhere around there (Maghull etc)?

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is there anything going on in Ormskirk at the moment that you know of, or anywhere around there (Maghull etc)?

just union in Ormskirk,maghull seems to be the same,which begs the question,if there is no tgg in Maghull,how did james graham get into it?

16 hours ago, Oldbear said:

The time I saw them I think they must have picked their team from the crowd! Worst so called pro team I have ever seen, and I watched some real bad ones at Gateshead!,

I remember Cardiff Blue Dragons playing a game at Dewsbury when they had to recruit their coach driver to play as one of the subs: he actually came on in the second half and wasn't the worst player in their team by a long chalk.

Ah, the good old days!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I remember Cardiff Blue Dragons playing a game at Dewsbury when they had to recruit their coach driver to play as one of the subs: he actually came on in the second half and wasn't the worst player in their team by a long chalk.

Ah, the good old days!

Even worse around 35 years ago I ended up as a sub on the bench to make up the numbers for Fulham in an away match at Hunslet at Elland Road (Thank god no-one got injured I was s-----g myself:) 

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Ah, the good old days!

I was at that game though I thought Bridgend were the opponents (could be wrong brains gone to mush during the lockdown)

41 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

I was at that game though I thought Bridgend were the opponents (could be wrong brains gone to mush during the lockdown)

No, I think you are right, it was when they had switched to Bridgend ( I get bragging rights on mushy brain!).

Archived