Fev Through the Ages: Scrum Halves

fevnut

Fev Through the Ages: Scrum Halves

fevnut has posted our 5th volume in the ‘Fev through the Ages’ series. This time we move to scrum halves. It begins with a skulk (you’ll probably need to check that word) and continues with some wonderful players.

We have been blessed with a succession of quality players at scrumhalf, many of whom have given long service.

Access the page by clicking on the link below.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2020/04/fev-through-ages-scrum-halves.html

fevnut.png

1 hour ago, plug said:

Looking through your list and did'nt realize Tex Hudson started playing for us in 1968 so did he leave then come back to us at a ltr date 

Tex signed for Hull K.R. to get regular first team Rugby in 1971 as Steve Nash was Scrum Half.He signed for us in the 1968/69 season and returned in 1979 after playing for Wakey.Tex alternated playing between loose forward and Scrum Half during his second spell.He was Scrum Half in our 3rd round tie at Saints,semi final win over Bradford (Man of Match}and of course our magnificent win at Wembley against Hull F.C.Tex left Rovers in November 1984.

I think he must have signed the season before Sentoffagain2 ? The reason I probably know this is because I was understudy to him at scrum half in the U17's in the 1967/68 season, and I'm pretty sure he signed during that period but continued with the U17's until the end of the season. I played quite a few games as sub in which Tex would control the game until we had a comfortable winning lead, then come off to put his carpet slippers on and let me have a run out.

Tex wasn't the only scrum half to move on for first team football at the time, from 1968 to 1970 we had the Fab Four on our books :- Carl Dooler, Steve Nash, Allan Agar and Terry Hudson. Allan moved to Dewsbury a year before Tex moved to Hull KR, and although he was the only one of those four not to win a Challenge Cup winners medal with Rovers he did win one with Hull KR in  1980 and also won the Championship with Dewsbury in '73, and of course won the Challenge Cup with Rovers as coach in 1983. Nashy also won the Championship with Salford in 1976 and gained 25 GB caps and 7 for England.

Truly a FAB FOUR!!!!! 

Another cracking Scrum Half was Alan Marchant who played in our two Cup wins over Saints in 1958 and 1959.Alan left the following season for Halifax.He moved to Hunslet and was Scrum Half in the fantastic Cup Final in 1964/65 when Hunslet went down 20-16 to Wigan.I think it was the only time the Lance Todd Trophy was shared.Ray Ashby Full Back Wigan and Brian Gabbitas Stand Off Hunslet.I knew Alan from the Dog Tracks he and his dad could improve them no end when the money was down.Had a chat with Alan and Terry Clawson at Sheffield Owlerton dog track a few years before they passed away.Two real characters.

5 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I think he must have signed the season before Sentoffagain2 ? The reason I probably know this is because I was understudy to him at scrum half in the U17's in the 1967/68 season, and I'm pretty sure he signed during that period but continued with the U17's until the end of the season. I played quite a few games as sub in which Tex would control the game until we had a comfortable winning lead, then come off to put his carpet slippers on and let me have a run out.

Tex wasn't the only scrum half to move on for first team football at the time, from 1968 to 1970 we had the Fab Four on our books :- Carl Dooler, Steve Nash, Allan Agar and Terry Hudson. Allan moved to Dewsbury a year before Tex moved to Hull KR, and although he was the only one of those four not to win a Challenge Cup winners medal with Rovers he did win one with Hull KR in  1980 and also won the Championship with Dewsbury in '73, and of course won the Challenge Cup with Rovers as coach in 1983. Nashy also won the Championship with Salford in 1976 and gained 25 GB caps and 7 for England.

Truly a FAB FOUR!!!!! 

One not mentioned here was Colin Wood who played in the Captain Morgan Trophy Final against Warrington then moved on to York. Phil Butler and Dale Fennell then came to the fore and we had Peter Banner who came from Salford, another good Scrum Half.

i think when Alan Marchant went to Fax, Colin Clift came the other way

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Archived