Cant sleep

41 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I fell asleep at work, in the Lay-Z-Boy chair management supplied, an I got disciplined for it.

were you in the theatre with an operation going on at the time? 

• 1 month later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I can't sleep again. I think it's the heat particularly tonight, very hot here though what I will say is I have a bloody thick duvet so that won't help. 

For some reason my sleep patterns have been really messed up recently. I didn't sleep at all two nights ago and it looks like I'm going the same way tonight as well. If you're not careful you can get into a vicious pattern like this, you don't sleep one night so get 10 hours sleep the next night which means the night after, ie tonight, you aren't tired again. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Have you tried a fan to move the air round in th ebedroom as a way of cooling down? 

I would but I am a ridiculously sensitive sleeper when it comes to getting to sleep. I can only sleep if it is pitch black and totally silent so the noise of a fan and the feel of the air brushing across my face would be enough to disturb me and keep me awake. I do sometimes use a fleece blanket instead of the duvet if I'm too warm but I also prefer having weight on my body. With the blanket it sometimes feels like I don't have anything covering me and I can't sleep if I've not got something on me.

I know this all sounds incredibly picky but it's just how I am which is funny because when I do get to sleep I'm the deepest sleeper in the world. There's an industrial estate not too far from where I live and one of the factories basically blew up a few years ago and there was a massive fire and a dozen fire engines and I slept through the whole thing, just to give you an idea of how deep I sleep. I've slept through earthquakes, apocalyptic lightning storms, my neighbours having domestics, my other pi sshead neighbour standing in the street screaming... all sorts! 

No, I think I haven't slept tonight literally just because of the fact I slept for 10 hours the previous night. The heat won't have helped though. 

On 31/07/2020 at 06:11, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I do sometimes use a fleece blanket instead of the duvet if I'm too warm but I also prefer having weight on my body. With the blanket it sometimes feels like I don't have anything covering me and I can't sleep if I've not got something on me.

Noticed in Dunelm today they have 1 tog and 3 tog duvets which may help in this weather.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

1 minute ago, heartofGold said:

Noticed in Dunelm today they have 1 tog and 3 tog duvets which may help in this weather.

Ice bags might be more useful in the current temperatures.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Think up north isn't quite as hot but down here is unbearable 

The BBC forecast says that there's a whole load of thunderstorms coming next week. Here's hoping. Nothing for the next couple of days, though.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;ts=0;y=51.2894;x=0.9338;z=6;d=2;dl=2;dc=0; 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

I bought my duvet not too long ago and I don't know what possessed me to buy a 13 tog duvet... as I say though, I have a fleece blanket that I've been using more than the duvet recently. What doesn't help though is when my cats lay on it cos then I'm just coughing hairballs up all night and it's even worse when you wake up and one of them is basically laid on your face! 

• 9 months later...

Well I can't sleep again which is particularly annoying these days cos with my new job I have to leave my house for my shift at 6.45am which is now less than 6 hours away so I have to get up absolute latest in about 5 and half hours. As the minutes tick by I'm thinking there's less and less point even trying to sleep and I might as well get up and do something but what that thing would be I have no idea, probably just end up reading a book or watching a couple of films or something. 

I tend to use a portable audio player, playing audiobooks or comedy shows just loud enough to follow the words.

If you have good examples of either, you will want to stay awake 'til the end of the chapter/episode... so you probably won't. And if you do, you will at least have been entertained.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's my specific tip; https://play.acast.com/s/sleepy 

It's a weekly podcast of an American bloke with a deep, calm voice reading old books. Honestly, I barely get past him saying the sponsor and the patreon supporter of that week for the first 5 minutes. I cannot remember any part of any story he has read. As @Futtocks mentioned have spoken word at a volume just loud enough to hear clearly.

Here's my generic tip; take some time in the day to analyse your life to try work out why your sleep is disruptive. It may be something coming from inside yourself or an external source. Finally, improve your sleep hygiene if you haven't already.

On 03/06/2021 at 21:40, Futtocks said:

I tend to use a portable audio player, playing audiobooks or comedy shows just loud enough to follow the words.

If you have good examples of either, you will want to stay awake 'til the end of the chapter/episode... so you probably won't. And if you do, you will at least have been entertained.

BBC Sounds is your friend in that respect. Really.

On 12/06/2021 at 09:18, Bleep1673 said:

Having problems sleeping again, but this time it's because my Gout is playing up, & I have run out of the mess.

I've ordered some but I can't get to Boots because I can't walk.

Cherries and cherry juice is supposed to be a good thing to have in your regular diet if gout is a recurring problem. Luckily, unlike so many other things that are supposed to be good for you, they actually taste nice.

As for sleeping, I just bought some new, softer pillows which are supposed not to go flat or lumpy. Sleep's been better since then.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ex was very kind & went and picked the pills up, she also brought her mums crutches round (she's now in Jamaica), then she went to the shop for me.

Because I couldn't keep my balance due to pain, I had 2 falls yesterday, 2nd one I smacked my head on the marble mantelpiece, and drew blood, head injuries are priorities I believed in the NHS, so I rang for an ambulance only to be told it will be an hour. My landlord took me to A&E, where I spent the next 6 hours watching people walking in after me & being treated before me.

Still, it gave me a chance to charge my phone on the NHS. Again.

Well last night I'm not sure what time I got to sleep but I do remember looking at my phone around 1am. I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 2 when I finally dropped off and I'm up already, gotta leave for work in 15 minutes. Very hot last night. My attitude is positive though, essentially some sleep is better than none at all. 

• 2 months later...

Archived