Where it all Began

Cumberland Sausage

5 hours ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

Are there any Town fans still alive who were at this game as it would be great to hear their memories from that time.

My dad (who doesn't do internet that much so won't see this) said he started going aged 7, so would make that 1947-ish. He still goes every home game. I'll ask him if he remembers which was his first game

I have a couple of programmes from that 1st season, and the handwriting for the scores is very similar to that on your programme - unless everyone wrote the same way back in the day

I was a that very first game with two 15 year old Seaton pals. Both sadly passed away many years ago. The names that I remember from that team are Bill ASkew, Hedley Rogers, George Armstrong ( scored the first try), Jepson who later partnered Albert Pepperell ( two clever half backs, became Peppy and Jeppy), Irving ( I believe 'Tint' ), big Denis Cavaanagh (Kicked the first goal).  We had a McGilray, an Ausie who joined later, I'm not sure it was the same one. He had a hell of a long distance kick.

1 hour ago, old un said:

I was a that very first game with two 15 year old Seaton pals. Both sadly passed away many years ago. The names that I remember from that team are Bill ASkew, Hedley Rogers, George Armstrong ( scored the first try), Jepson who later partnered Albert Pepperell ( two clever half backs, became Peppy and Jeppy), Irving ( I believe 'Tint' ), big Denis Cavaanagh (Kicked the first goal).  We had a McGilray, an Ausie who joined later, I'm not sure it was the same one. He had a hell of a long distance kick.

Thanks for that Old Un it's great to get a reply from someone who was actually at the game where it all began.

Prior to this game a couple of friendlies were played by a Cumberland Select team and if memory serves me right without checking my collection they were against Huddersfield,Hunslet and an England team.Were you at any of these by any chance ?

3 hours ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

Thanks for that Old Un it's great to get a reply from someone who was actually at the game where it all began.

Prior to this game a couple of friendlies were played by a Cumberland Select team and if memory serves me right without checking my collection they were against Huddersfield,Hunslet and an England team.Were you at any of these by any chance ?

No,  Broughton Rangers was my first professional game.  I attended Haven's first game also. Jack Kitchen the great Bradford Northern centre became their first coach.

Archived