SL17

A new name for Rugby League. (Merged threads)

On 17/04/2020 at 21:38, Angelic Cynic said:

I can't find any other sport that has gone down the change of name route.

Given that we are in the 125th anniversary year - and already changed from Northern Union - I reckon Rugby League is the one to stick with and hope it is used often,and with pride,from now and even more so once the sport gets back up and running.

Did you find any associated with the same sport?

On 23/04/2020 at 10:23, Tommygilf said:

Oh yeah because footy doesn't mean anything over here does it!

We have a better chance at taking the word football from football in England than taking the word rugby from union. At least we will have the same terminology as the Australians.

5 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

We have a better chance at taking the word football from football in England than taking the word rugby from union. At least we will have the same terminology as the Australians.

You are joking

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

You are joking

I'm mainly talking about the RL heartland areas  but you're right my idea is pretty crazy but i feel if the Australian lead we'll eventually follow

1 minute ago, Themusician_2 said:

I'm mainly talking about the RL heartland areas  but you're right my idea is pretty crazy but i feel if the Australian lead we'll eventually follow

I think thats true with everything but this, NRL is far more likely to be adopted imo (in the same way NFL is for American Football)

On 23/04/2020 at 10:59, unapologetic pedant said:

Agreed, but League fans everywhere could be more circumspect to limit those confusions, and more astute in using terms which raise the profile of RL. In NZ surely "Union" should be stressed over "Rugby" if RU is being referred to. It might not matter too much for internal consumption, but to most of the world saying only "Rugby" renders RL invisible.

Rugby League fans in Australasia call RU rugby due to culture. RL fans in Australasia don't have an attachment to the world rugby. I'm seeing more and more of them call their sport football or "footy" for short. Is it an indication of how weak soccer is in that region maybe? But it seems they just don't have any attachment to the word rugby.

13 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Rugby League fans in Australasia call RU rugby due to culture. RL fans in Australasia don't have an attachment to the world rugby. I'm seeing more and more of them call their sport football or "footy" for short. Is it an indication of how weak soccer is in that region maybe? But it seems they just don't have any attachment to the word rugby.

Footy, or football, is almost universally applied to whichever form of football is most popular in the region. Rep of Ireland - Gaelic Football, NSW & QLD - Rugby League, Victoria - Aussie Rules, NZ - Rugby union (though there are some who use it for league), USA - NFL.

Most of the rest of the world, bar maybe Italy, call soccer "football" or a variation of it.

• Like 1

With the biggest markets, with viewer audiences and money in Australia. I would be swayed towards NRL. If you start using football and league over here you will get into territory of EFL (Championship/League 1/League 2 soccer) which confuses people. NRL is simple easily marketable. With the debate on union and league in my household that is how they are referred bizarrely rugby is dropped from both to save confusion in conversation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

With the biggest markets, with viewer audiences and money in Australia. I would be swayed towards NRL. If you start using football and league over here you will get into territory of EFL (Championship/League 1/League 2 soccer) which confuses people. NRL is simple easily marketable. With the debate on union and league in my household that is how they are referred bizarrely rugby is dropped from both to save confusion in conversation. 

I like NRL as it would be easy for school pupils to discuss going 'NRL training tonight'.

But,I guess the NRL will have everything patented and trademarked and it will be an additional cost burden to the RFL to change things.

https://www.nrlimagery.com/terms-of-use/

The sport needs to come out firing on all cylinders after this pandemic.I hope the sport gets everything right.

• Like 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

14 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

There is the additional historical factor that many UK clubs began their existence as Rugby Football clubs, whereas most in Aus and NZ were formed specifically to play the Northern Union game which, through the establishment of the NSW RL, became known as Rugby League. St Helens RFC have still to get around to adding League to their official title.

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There is the additional historical factor that many UK clubs began their existence as Rugby Football clubs, whereas most in Aus and NZ were formed specifically to play the Northern Union game which, through the establishment of the NSW RL, became known as Rugby League. St Helens RFC have still to get around to adding League to their official title.

Incorrect.

spacer.png

Not sure why we moved back to RFC when we re-designed the badge. It’s something I moaned about at the time and still don’t particularly like. 

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Incorrect.

spacer.png

Not sure why we moved back to RFC when we re-designed the badge. It’s something I moaned about at the time and still don’t particularly like. 

Only partly incorrect. But as a pedant I must concede the point. Correction - Saints have yet to irreversibly get around to adding League to their title. I don`t like the reversion either but it must have stemmed, relevant to the substance of the post, from a continued attachment to their 1873 roots.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The final sentence is pertinent. If we mean League we should say League, if we mean Union we should say Union. It really is not bizarre, just reflects a desire to be specific and avoid confusion. In general game parlance though, I still prefer to hear good play described as "Good Football" rather than "Good Rugby".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Incorrect.

spacer.png

The registered offivial name of the club at Company House is and always has been St Helens RFC .

On 25/04/2020 at 12:20, unapologetic pedant said:

The final sentence is pertinent. If we mean League we should say League, if we mean Union we should say Union. It really is not bizarre, just reflects a desire to be specific and avoid confusion. In general game parlance though, I still prefer to hear good play described as "Good Football" rather than "Good Rugby".

I don’t think any union fan or league fan confuse the two ever. 

why not call it "naked scandanavian female wrestling" the crowds and viewing figures would be through the roof (for the 1st couple of rounds anyway)

• Haha 3

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

On 25/04/2020 at 15:19, koli said:

The registered offivial name of the club at Company House is and always has been St Helens RFC .

Indeed, and we shouldn't be too quick to give up our pre 1895 heritage

IMO nothing wrong with the name rugby league,  however I  don't like the name super league,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, owls said:

IMO nothing wrong with the name rugby league,  however I  don't like the name super league,

Agreed... as I said  before ...

On 17/04/2020 at 21:49, RL does what Sky says said:

I would agree but get rid of "Super League" ... it doesn't say on the tin what it is.

2 hours ago, owls said:

Super League was one of those names that might have sounded snazzy at the time (although it didn't to me), but I think it quickly became dated. And for me the trophy isn't a patch on the old Championship trophy.

English Rugby League Super League - TheSportsDB.com

Neil Cowie and Billy McGinty of Wigan with the Rugby League ...

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Super League was one of those names that might have sounded snazzy at the time (although it didn't to me), but I think it quickly became dated. And for me the trophy isn't a patch on the old Championship trophy.

English Rugby League Super League - TheSportsDB.com

Neil Cowie and Billy McGinty of Wigan with the Rugby League ...

If Super League want to continue presenting their winners with a tin vase then why not present the propr RL Championship Trophy to the winners of the Championship ?