Why does RL ignore Germany?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am firmly against the idea of targetting nations based on non-rugby league related criteria.  People often look at a map, population stats, or GDP figures and get all excited and say:  That is where RL needs to go!

I believe, watering small plants, is more productive than trying to plant seeds in infertile soil.  What do I mean by that?

Look at some of the nations that have already set up some reasonably solid foundations, for example:  Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine - and then invest in them so they can get stronger.  Going somewhere and supporting local-led initiatives is always better than 'outsiders' trying to barge in and do it their way.

On 16/04/2020 at 18:45, Mr Plow said:

Did his brothers play pro League? I know Jimmy played union for Otley and a club in Germany as well as the national team 

Jimmy plyed Pro and a amateur Union if you can call it usch in Heidelberg. Markus moved out to Vancouver at a fairly young age mid 20s and Kris has just recently followed. Nick is in the Otley area. As far as I am awhere all 3 playing Uniong in Otley for on or another club. Jimmy gog his break via Paul Fletcher I think via Leeds Beckett though Jimmy did have trials at Halifax I got him, but Fax got rid of the reserves in 2010.

Anthony Seibold played one game though his brother Damian played around 7 and each one of them paid there own way -Australia, Yorkshire etc to play for Germany wherever-like much of the players who have played RL in Europe. There are some others who dont want to pay or just want to play in a WC event so have not been chosen for Germany over Natives.

On 16/04/2020 at 09:25, Tommygilf said:

Hamburg is lovely, last place I visited before lockdown! Not sure if it would work for magic though, Dublin or Cardiff would be my preference for a Magic Weekend outside of England.

Imagine hosting a magic weekend at St Pauli and having all the fans congregating along the Reeperbahn or the other bar laden streets in the area around Millerntor ?

10 hours ago, meast said:

And why have I just wasted 10 mins reading petty squabbling and debate about Dublin?

When did Dublin become a part of Germany?

I thought that yesterday and promptly left the thread. My only real surprise was that nines wasn't mentioned.

40 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

BARLA Young Lions played Germany in Heidelberg  2013 winning 2 lopsided games,I think Wigan’s Liam Marshall scored 4 tries in one of the games.

F86E3E3F-C136-4941-832A-A67BD3668B90.jpeg

6BE8BAD6-AB6A-427A-B774-9080C664CC2A.jpeg

02C416F2-F537-4E01-850D-ED4F0F7B61CB.jpeg

108170B6-40F6-4B5A-AE6D-05687E1B8AD5.jpeg

435DC5E9-89BF-4BAA-9521-2DB9F8FD79F9.jpeg

Sadly it was a poorly organized on & off the field by Uwe Jansen- as was the womens tour roughly around this time. It was just a Union Club from Heidelberg rather than any built on the state of German RL. Uwe Jansen has a poor reputation as did Germany fror a couple of years. Bob Doughton fortunately dragged things back after the RLEF said things needed to be sorted or shut down-in the end both happened thanks to Bob & a couple of others. Sadly like many things in development Rugby League, things are not often as good as they seem to be!!!

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Sadly it was a poorly organized on & off the field by Uwe Jansen- as was the womens tour roughly around this time. It was just a Union Club from Heidelberg rather than any built on the state of German RL. Uwe Jansen has a poor reputation as did Germany fror a couple of years. Bob Doughton fortunately dragged things back after the RLEF said things needed to be sorted or shut down-in the end both happened thanks to Bob & a couple of others. Sadly like many things in development Rugby League, things are not often as good as they seem to be!!!

For facilities alone, Germany would not be a bad place for clubs to do a pre-season camp in.  Neither would Holland.  

IMO it wouldn’t be any more expensive than Spain or Tenerife.  These kind of things would be completely stress free for players as no one will have heard of them and they can focus on entirely on RL.  It would also be an opportunity to liaise with the RLEF regarding development.

TBF, the same could be done in the home nations.

2 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Only Jimmy played Pro or even played (and got paid) in Germany, though Nick has played for one of the Otley UNION teams this past couple of years at Twickenham in some cup.

I thought Nick was playing/coaching with Leeds Akkies LEAGUE team

38 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

For facilities alone, Germany would not be a bad place for clubs to do a pre-season camp in.  Neither would Holland.  

IMO it wouldn’t be any more expensive than Spain or Tenerife.  These kind of things would be completely stress free for players as no one will have heard of them and they can focus on entirely on RL.  It would also be an opportunity to liaise with the RLEF regarding development.

TBF, the same could be done in the home nations.

Weather in Germany in January is a bit milder than Tenerife in January. 

17 hours ago, langpark said:

I am firmly against the idea of targetting nations based on non-rugby league related criteria.  People often look at a map, population stats, or GDP figures and get all excited and say:  That is where RL needs to go!

I believe, watering small plants, is more productive than trying to plant seeds in infertile soil.  What do I mean by that?

Look at some of the nations that have already set up some reasonably solid foundations, for example:  Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine - and then invest in them so they can get stronger.  Going somewhere and supporting local-led initiatives is always better than 'outsiders' trying to barge in and do it their way.

Yeah but all they need to do is see a game and they'll be hooked.

20 hours ago, meast said:

And why have I just wasted 10 mins reading petty squabbling and debate about Dublin?

When did Dublin become a part of Germany?

Usually any thread attempting to discuss RL in Germany gets derailed by someone wanting to talk about Jimmy Keinhorst.  So, while he still did get a few mentions here, Dublin was a refreshing change!

4 hours ago, RMBJ said:

Yeah but all they need to do is see a game and they'll be hooked.

?

Archived