Greatest Dewsbury Players - your top 3 props

Wakefield Ram

49 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I'll let others have a go first. The first one to spring to mind is Harry Beverley, need to think about others.

Gary cox first on my list.   Will think about others...

Can we have a separate category for Tommy Gallagher by the way?   There has only been one Tomy Gallagher...

Just now, NickD said:

Gary cox first on my list.   Will think about others...

Can we have a separate category for Tommy Gallagher by the way?   There has only been one Tomy Gallagher...

Yes definitely. I'm planning on a Best Substitutes category and he'll be in the top 3 for sure.

39 minutes ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Gary Cox

2. Mark Haigh

3. Paul Worthy 

Others; Danny McKelvie, Ryan 'Butch' McDonald, Matt Groat, Joe Helme, Darren Winmill, and Matty English (loan from Huddersfield Giants).

If your looking at loan players .... that Shannon Wakeman was pretty good too!

Yes he was from Hudds .. and Yes we loaned Fifita ....... he didn't turn up metaphorically ..... he was absolutely useless and we got stuffed by Rochdale .... Keegan Hirst was on loan that day as well .... neither will get my vote! 

Personally I can't see past Beverley and Lowe ... plus one ...maybe  Anthony England  maybe Tom Garrett.... I'll have to think about my 3rd 

Just now, Bi11 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Yorkshire capped Naylor and under 23? International Brian Taylor .  Wasn't there a pretty useful fair haired prop called Coates?

Thanks for that ....So

1 Harry Beverley ...... by a distance!

2 Trevor ( Dick ) Lowe

3 Jim Naylor..

Special mention to Tom Garrett ..... I do hope he comes back .. could be a legend in the making! ... and Walker and Taylor were a good pairing!

24 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Yorkshire capped Naylor and under 23? International Brian Taylor .  Wasn't there a pretty useful fair haired prop called Coates?

Correct with Coates, Peter of that ilk.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Harry Beverley

Steve Hankins

Trevor Lowe

Hard to choose ..... Jim Naylor, Tony Murphy , Keith Mason, all favourites as well .... With a decent coach, Tom Lillycrop could have been another contender .... And Tom Garrett would definitely be up there with more than one season under his belt .... And don't forget Mick Murphy ???

I'm surprised nobody mentions Frank Watene - a great ball-handling prop.

I always regarded Gary Cocks as a second row rather than a prop. Similarly Tony Murphy was actually a stand off despite that he played one season for us as a prop.

Dominic Maloney was pretty good but didn't play long enough before leaving, Matt Groat (mentioned by others) was a waste of space I'm afraid. Toby Adamson (where is he now) was class when fit. We always seemed to have plenty of grafters rather tha outstanding players but Trevor Lowe and Harry Beverley stand out for me.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Demonstrating my youth again I'll go;

1.  Gary Cox (always a prop in my memory)

2.  Glenn Bell ( who did have spells at second row)

3.  Frank Watene 

Honourable mentions for Bungalow, Dom Maloney, Tony Murphy and Anthony England (who unfortunately didn't stay long enough to get into the top three)

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I'm surprised nobody mentions Frank Watene - a great ball-handling prop.

I always regarded Gary Cocks as a second row rather than a prop. Similarly Tony Murphy was actually a stand off despite that he played one season for us as a prop.

Dominic Maloney was pretty good but didn't play long enough before leaving, Matt Groat (mentioned by others) was a waste of space I'm afraid. Toby Adamson (where is he now) was class when fit. We always seemed to have plenty of grafters rather tha outstanding players but Trevor Lowe and Harry Beverley stand out for me.

Dominic Maloney was a bit of a penalty machine though. Toby Adamson played at prop for us when we were struggling with injuries. He's more accustomed to playing in the second row. 

Paul Medley was a good prop even though he was more of an impact player!

Showing my age a bit here but 

1. Harry Beverley - when most props of his era were "well-built" he was an athlete. Remember him covering across and tackling wingers by the legs into touch.

2. Steve Hankins - tough skillful forward who seem to remember kicked a few goals.

3. Gary Cocks - tackled hard well before the era of big hits.

Honourable mentions to Frank Watene, Dennis Trembath, Dick Lowe, Keith Mason.

9 hours ago, Superdave said:

For sheer entertainment: Mikali Aizue is worth a mention 70 apps (ish) 7 tries. Could run through walls but did not always emerge the other side with the ball.

Mikale.   Of course.  How did I forget him.  Eeerm. Might need a rethink 

13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Correct with Coates, Peter of that ilk.

Rolypoly prop who looked like mr bump, but had blistering turn of pace, particularly between pubs. What about Murph - small but all action.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Gary Cocks is my favourite of any era, not going to do subtle off loads or run a rounds, just take the ball up all day and tough as nails. Darren Fleary was with us too short, great player, Bungy was great and we was not always a regular but admired Paul Broxholme,  Tony Murphy was a tackling machine but not that big from what i can remember.

I may have imagined it but when David Watkinson came to us early 90's, an ex Great Britain hooker, he played Prop.......................and was pretty uninspiring. 

1 hour ago, MrBungle said:

Gary Cocks is my favourite of any era, not going to do subtle off loads or run a rounds, just take the ball up all day and tough as nails. 

Watch the tires of 91/92 on YouTube and you’ll see loads of passing and a few offloads by Coxy (and Glen Bell).  Took my by surprise though I admit.   I mainly remembered him for the same reasons as U you do. 

Archived